Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You only get ONE accessory.

2»

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2012
    Easy one.  Themapen (or some other instant read thermometer).  Most properly cooked meats end up that way because of a measuring device.
    Everything else is just "nice to have".  Thermometer is mandatory.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's funny how we all know temps are the best indicator of proper meat cooking, and Chef's are taught to cook to temperature....but I was watching Master Chef once and some chef was measuring a temperature and Chef Ramsay flipped out on him "YOU DONKEY!!  What the BLEEP are you BLEEPIN' doing!?"
    edited November 2012
    Skiddy - that would be 90 seconds, not a minute, to check 30 wings - stop exaggerating. :D
    OK science guy, @nolaegghead, it might be more than 60 seconds - but - Once the tip is at 150, 3 seconds for the first wing, the second and subsequent wings read in under two seconds, cause the tip is already warm. The real reason is I have the "lady of the night" red thermapen, it is the fastest they make. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    edited November 2012
    Skiddy - that would be 90 seconds, not a minute, to check 30 wings - stop exaggerating. :D
    OK science guy, @nolaegghead, it might be more than 60 seconds - but - Once the tip is at 150, 3 seconds for the first wing, the second and subsequent wings read in under two seconds, cause the tip is already warm. The real reason is I have the "lady of the night" red thermapen, it is the fastest they make. 
    I was thinking that, and also about mocking you for measuring the temperature of chicken wings, but then, I couldn't be sure you weren't already mocking overzealous temperature donkeys....

My thermapen is hot pink, to match my shoes.

I'll take Little Steven's knowledge. ;) 

Careful...I think he's Canadian

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    I'll take Little Steven's knowledge. ;) 
    That knowledge comes with a floppy head  (ahem...south park)
    and don't forget some colors read faster than others

If you got the one with the flames your the winner. As soon as I painted flames on my car I won every race.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• nolaegghead
    TUTTLE871 said:

If you got the one with the flames your the winner. As soon as I painted flames on my car I won every race.
    Flame cars get tickets the fastest, too.  Flame shirts get you on the food channel faster.  Flames are good.

Flame cars get tickets the fastest, too.  Flame shirts get you on the food channel faster.  Flames are good.
    I thought flame shirts got you put on a bowling team faster.  Or maybe it helps you throw the ball faster.
    Flint, Michigan
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

TUTTLE871 said:

I thought flame shirts got you put on a bowling team faster.  Or maybe it helps you throw the ball faster.
    One time in my life I almost got Flames tattoed on my arm (I WAS YOUNG) my wife then told me she would call me Flamer from now on. I did'nt get the tattoo.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

TUTTLE871 said:

Full throttle

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    You guys are all gonna look silly, waiting to borrow my lighter.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Really, the plate setter is essential to the BGE to change from direct to indirect, i.e. not an accessory. So that leaves you to get the food off the grate with the pen!
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    a vote for thermapen
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    +1 on thermapen.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    This forum. Followed closely by bourbon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    From reading a lot of threads here, I think many go to the bourbon first, then the forum.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@Village_Idiot - too true, too true.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    From reading a lot of threads here, I think many go to the bourbon first, then the forum.   :))
    I'll drink to that!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA