Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex gettin weird with the pig parts

Cured and smoked everything myself :). Fun food week.

1) fresh ham cured 7 days then smoked 7 hrs over apple. Unreal. Was destroyed in 20 minutes.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Nothin' left but the bone:

8lbs of Belly. 1/2 savory 1/2 sweet.

Little belly snacks before dinner:

The ham was unreal. Like crazy good. Bacon was good and fun to do but the ham overshadowed everything else for the day.

Happy T day everyone.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Wow that all looks great! I've never done the belly but want to try.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Awesome, finished my first bacon today and its unreal. Now you motivate me to get on the ham train.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    looks freaking awesome cen!  Can you explain more about your curing process?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:

looks freaking awesome cen!  Can you explain more about your curing process?

Not tonight but later in the week. All from the charcuterie book. I have also cured my liver with bourbon today so centex needs an adult nap.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    No matter the posts by Cazzy, Man can you cook. Wow.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    edited November 2012
    Hmmm okay...  

He sure can cook!! :)
  • Wow, Centex.  That's cool !  I'd love to try to do a belly, but I haven't been able to find one that isn't 100% fat.  Nice going on the ham too !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    cazzy said:
    Hmmm okay...  

He sure can cook!! :)

:D
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The fresh ham is something I really want to do, if you can post the recipe or link sometime it would be awesome.

It al looks great !
    LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories
  • cazzy
    Alright Cen, I'm buying the dang book now! :D
  • And a little chicken fried blackstrap for breakfast. Headed to the cardiologist as we speak. Centex out.

• Wow, Centex.  That's cool !  I'd love to try to do a belly, but I haven't been able to find one that isn't 100% fat.  Nice going on the ham too !!!

Thanks Gary. It was a lot of fun. I got the belly at Whole foods and this is the 2nd time I've used them. It was really good quality both times. Might give them a try next time you are lookin.
  • Holy Piglet! That all really looks scrumptious.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy said:
    Alright Cen, I'm buying the dang book now! :D

You won't be disappointed. We had 20 people for TG and everyone brought their specialty. The ham and bacon just blew everyone away. They looked at me like I was from mars when I busted out the bellies. it was a blast. TFJ broke her foot off in her Jalapeño cheese grits (pictured with the ham), a couple of pies, and a pumpkin cheesecake too so we came strong to the party. Plus my bro-in-law has an XL that he never uses because it was not set up right and he screwed up a gasket install. there were gaps all in the dome and it didn't shut right so I took it all apart and set it up and installed a new gasket for him. It's like brand new now so he was all fired up about that. And my niece shot a nice little 8 point so I made that back strap for them for breakfast today. IT was awesome. Super fresh, not gamey at all. Like filet. I really need to eat a salad.
  • And a little chicken fried blackstrap for breakfast. Headed to the cardiologist as we speak. Centex out. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

ha! that would be BACKstrap (not blackstrap)
  • Nice CT! Can't find my copy of charcouterie right now but gotta get at it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2012
    Well today, because of Cen-Tex, I bought a whole fresh leg of pork, 24 lbs.. Skin and aitch bone removed, I'll be making 2 hams and will start curing tomorrow. Also, got 2 five lb. bellies for bacon. I'll post some pics of the fresh stuff tomorrow and then the cooked stuff in a week or so. Thanks CT for the nudge.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray said:
    Well today, because of Cen-Tex, I bought a whole fresh leg of pork, 24 lbs.. Skin and aitch bone removed, I'll be making 2 hams and will start curing tomorrow. Also, got 2 five lb. bellies for bacon. I'll post some pics of the fresh stuff tomorrow and then the cooked stuff in a week or so. Thanks CT for the nudge.

Nice Billy ray! You'll love them both
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @Village Idiot: Do you have an Asian market near you? In my area, they sell the leanest belly. I bought a very expensive belly once from a nearby organic farmer, and I threw it out because it had virtually no meat. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia