Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rut Roh

Ok, the plan was for a Sittin Turkey.  Got the LBGE stable with a dome temp of 350.  Plate setter legs up.  Put the turkey and sitter in a glass baking dish to help catch the drippings.  Loaded 90 min ago.  Decided to go check if I needed to cover with foil.  Upon opening, I see that at some point the glass baking dish has broken into about 453 small pieces.  Used an instant read therm and have a current breast temp of 118.  I covered with foil and am pressing on.  Thoughts?

Perkins Resturant is around the corner if I need to.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
     That's horrible.  I'd say press on and go for it.  If any glass really made it into the bird, it's likely just at the bottom -- which you could avoid.  That really stinks though.  
  • Keep it going.......
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    provided the bird didn't get any glass i'd press on as well . good luck and happy T-Day 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Press on and finish the story with a happy ending!  You'll never forget it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred, I know you are in MI.  Where?  I grew up in Muskegon, lived in Spring Lake, Jackson and Kzoo.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• I live in beautiful Shangri-La, er, Flint.  Where everything's Sweetness and Light!  I take it you've relocated.  I grew up in Plymouth (halfway between Detroit & Ann Arbor).

Flint, Michigan
  • Yup.  Moved to the panhandle of Nebraska in 2008.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• Usually will tell people that we lived in Jackson for 20 years and got out on good behavior.  Only people from MI really understand that joke.

The Lions got robbed today.  The ruling that Schwartz could not throw the flag is stupid.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• My first wife's brother went to school at Northern Michigan U in Marquette.  He was there for 5 to 10 years (his joke).

Flint, Michigan
  • Ernie, are you using a platesetter?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yes, put the pyrex on the plate setter with the sittin turkey inside the pyrex.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• what you thinkin steven?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• I was just going to let you know that if the back end lags behind the breast you can invert it and the dark meat will go quicker.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yes, put the pyrex on the plate setter with the sittin turkey inside the pyrex.
    Reading this after the cook - hope it turned out OK. If you had the pyrex sitting on the setter, that is why it shattered. Just like a drip pan will boil dry and burn whatever hits it if it is on the setter, as you have seen pyrex will also shatter. The temp on the setter, exposed to burning lump directly under it can exceed 1000 easy. If there had been an air gap between setter and pyrex and the pyrex did not overhang the setter (direct exposure to burning lump) you would have been OK. I'm guessing you needed the head room so put the pyrex on the setter. Suggest a metal pan and get an air gap between the setter and the pan. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Yes, Skiddy, the pyrex was direct on the plate setter.  What I learned:

1. find some large nuts or some large hex nuts to use as a spacer. 

2. turn the grill so the air intake is down wind.  I have been cooking with the door facing the wind.

3. even with the sittin turkey, ice the breasts prior to cooking.  most of the dark meat was closer to turkey jerkey than thanksgiving turkey.

4.  i have 364 days to perfect this.  after reading the naked wiz/mad max version, I may start working on that. 

5. i did use some apple wood chunks with the lump.  the breast meat is better today than yesterday. 

All in all, it turned out ok.  On the  bright side, the LBGE did get a very good cleaning today.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska