Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Herbed Poultry Brine from: Charcuterie, The craft of Salting Smoking and Curing

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2012
    Oh, the bird is in the brine.  thanks for posting cen!  I obviously added celery and carrots.  :)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    cazzy said:
    So question, do I rinse the bird after I pull it from the brine?  Didn't see that listed in the instructions but many recipes say to rinse it so just checking.
    Rinse the hell out of it.  I pulled mine from the brine yesterday - poured out the brine, filled with water, swished it around, dumped, repeated a few more times.
    cazzy said:
    So question, do I rinse the bird after I pull it from the brine?  Didn't see that listed in the instructions but many recipes say to rinse it so just checking.
    Rinse the hell out of it.  I pulled mine from the brine yesterday - poured out the brine, filled with water, swished it around, dumped, repeated a few more times.
    I assume the brine is penetrated deep into the pores of the bird so we're just rinsing surface salt, right?
  • nolaegghead

cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    I assume the brine is penetrated deep into the pores of the bird so we're just rinsing surface salt, right?
    Yes - the salt is in the tissue.  It's more concentrated near the surface where it touched the brine.  If you cooked it immediately (after rinsing of course), the outside of the meat would be saltier than the inside.  Let it rest, it'll equalize out.  That salt makes the meat tender and protects it from drying out.  The brine also carries any aromatics in with it.  End result - juicy meat.
    Niiiice!

What are y'all seasoning the bird with? Want to make sure seasoning compliments the bird. Kind of thinking about doing just S&P.
  • nolaegghead
    I'm almost out of DP Red Eye, so I'm making Mickey's coffee rub.  We'll have another "regular" turkey and a ham so people will have options.  I love coffee rub.
    Question, 
    Could the brine be used after brining is done to make gravy (as in Mad Max recipe)?
    Thanks
  • Just got the book. Headed out to fight the masses and get a un enhanced bird. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Just got the book. Headed out to fight the masses and get a un enhanced bird. 

Vaya con Dios, amigo
  • cazzy
    edited November 2012
    dgv said:

Question, 

Could the brine be used after brining is done to make gravy (as in Mad Max recipe)?
    Thanks
    I'm sure you could if you boiled it but knowing that a raw bird sat in it for 24+ hours isn't appealing to me.
  • nolaegghead
    dgv said:
    Question, 
    Thanks
    Typically the brine is 5-10% salt.  Way more salty than seawater, and inedible.  Only a small amount of that salt goes in the bird.  So I'd say no.  If you rinse the brine off well, the drippings will be saltier than usual, but fine for gravy - remember, you add wine and/or water to dilute the drippings and the broth from the neck and organs, if you choose to do that (I do).
    Thanks CTS. I have this book on my wish list for Santa.
  • Bird is in the juice and I got 5 bottles of Jack to make Vanilla Extract with. Ok, fine, and one bottle of titos too. 

Thanks everyone. CT for posting and Cazzy for txting me and laying the guilt trip on enough. 
  • cazzy

Thanks everyone. CT for posting and Cazzy for txting me and laying the guilt trip on enough. 

Haha...anytime you need a lil kick in the butt, you let me know. Hopefully we both experience the best bird we've ever eaten!

What did you do with your frozen bird? Lol
  • The wife lady's friend is a social worker who deals mostly with down and out vets. I think I will cook it and give it to her to donate. 
  • nolaegghead

The wife lady's friend is a social worker who deals mostly with down and out vets. I think I will cook it and give it to her to donate. 
    Two of my brah-in-laws are engineers at the VA hospitals - one here in NOLA and the other in Seattle.  Sad stories, some of the vets.  This family is on the case.
  • cazzy

How long should I leave the bird in the brine?

15# Travis??
  • Yep
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    This brine is for the roasted turkey in Charcuterie there is a slightly different version for smoked in the book. The smoked one has more salt, adds pink salt, no lemons or parsley, adds garlic and states to brine for 2 days and then cook at 200. Anyone ever tried to cook a turkey at 200 and any clue how long that would take?
  • Brownie said:
    Thanks CTS. I have this book on my wish list for Santa.

any time brownie! you'll love it. I have a ham that I cured all week on the egg now and 3 slabs of bacon going on after that. It's a great book. You guys all have a happy turkey day.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    Cen or Nola.

How long for a 15# bird using this recipe?

• cazzy said:
    Cen or Nola. How long for a 15# bird using this recipe?

24 hrs. All brine times are in the original post for further reference
  • Yea but we like you saying it more than once.
  • cazzy
    Yea but we like you saying it more than once.
    We sure do...clicking page 1 is too much work!  Heck Travis even has the book but it's so much easier asking you cen.  
  • you guys are the best..................... L-)
  • How long would you leave a 15 pound bird in the brine for CT?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• How long would you leave a 15 pound bird in the brine for CT?
    8 minutes
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    Is that metric or imperial minutes?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited November 2012
    Is that metric or imperial minutes?
    I'm thinking it's "wife minutes."  If "I'll be ready to go in a few minutes" equals half an hour, then eight wife minutes would be an hour.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)