Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Prime Rib Steak

Options
I am going to drop a nice thick cut prime rib steak in the water this afternoon. What I am thinking is seasoned lightly and swimming for an hour or two at 125. Finish on the egg at flat out temp with a few apple chips. Any tips or does this sound right?
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I don't usually think of beef and apple wood going together, but the plan sounds solid. The usual suspects with beef are oak, mesquite, hickory to some extent....stronger flavored woods.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The steak will be great. Tough to get a lot of smoke when you are going full blast so I usually don't add any at all. The lump gives it just enough in the 2 minutes it's in there
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Is an hour or two enough? If I went longer would it make a difference?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GlennM said:
    Is an hour or two enough? If I went longer would it make a difference?
    I do an hour at 130 ish and it works great. If it's real thick then 2+. Don't leave it in more than 4 hrs if you are under 140 (not safe and 140 is way too high for good steak.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I am going to drop a nice thick cut prime rib steak in the water this afternoon. What I am thinking is seasoned lightly and swimming for an hour or two at 125. Finish on the egg at flat out temp with a few apple chips. Any tips or does this sound right?
    I would suggest cold smoking the steak in advance of bagging for the SV cook as you will not get much smoke from the short searing time. I use a piece of Japanese cherry wood sticks for about one hour before bagging.
    http://korin.com/Smoke-Wood-Sticks-Cherry
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Well, I left it in the water for 2hours and it was delicious. Was more moist than a direct grilled steak. I may try a chateau briand next, that would be fantastic done this way has anyone tried it yet?