Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel-Tru Thermometer Question

I did a pizza cook this weekend.  While waiting for my large to come up to temp, my BGE dome thermo was telling me 400.  It was still telling me 400 a few minutes later when flames were roaring out the top!  Being the smart guy I am, I figured the dome thermo is VERY inaccurate.  I've seen the Tel-Tru brand name bounced around here from time to time and I decided to look them up.  They offer for the BGE 3.5 inch stem models and 5 inch stem models.  I pulled my dome thermo from my large and discovered it's 3.5 inches.  I bought it this summer from a dealer so I'm not impressed with the quality.  Out of curiosity, I pulled the dome thermo out of my small and discovered it too is a 3.5 inch model.

What I'm asking advice about is 1) What size thermo is correct for the large?  2)  Are Tel-Tru's thermo better than the BGE's thermo?  4) Are they the best on the market for a replacement?  3)  Is there a digital model out there that replaces the dome thermo?  I like digital.

Thanks for your advice.

Fred

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• The original Tel Trus wer either 2 1/2" or 5". A few years ago they started making the 3 1/2" to match BGE and Primo. Tel Trus are indeed a better product. Don't know of a digital of the same style. HVAC mechanics carry a similar style in a digital but I don't know about the weather resistance.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2012
    The original Tel Trus wer either 2 1/2" or 5". A few years ago they started making the 3 1/2" to match BGE and Primo. Tel Trus are indeed a better product. Don't know of a digital of the same style. HVAC mechanics carry a similar style in a digital but I don't know about the weather resistance.
    Yeah, I though about weather problems and of course the heat is prolly not good for a battery.  I just thought I would throw it out there.  So 3.5" is standard on the large?  The 5" looks like it would bump into things in the Egg.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Since 2011, the BGE thermometers are made by Tel-Tru. 3.5 inch are standard. You may want to recalibrate, as they do go out of wack from time to time.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    I have both the 5" and 3.5".  The 5" will bump into a lot of food, especially if you do a raised cook.  nakedwhiz or some other site did an eval a while back and found the shorter one would read a bit too low.  But, I don't remember if that was the original 2.5" or the matched 3.5"  I use the longer one when I can, but have the shorter for times that it might touch the food.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Fred19Flintstone
    edited November 2012
    Maybe I got an old one off the shelf from the dealer?  The tip is pointed and the dial has the BGE logo is printed in green.  My small is brand new this summer and the thermo tip is blunted and the dial is printed in black.  I'm going to try to recalibrate, but that is a HUGE inaccuracy.  I figure its not trustworthy. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • cssmd27 said:
    I have both the 5" and 3.5".  The 5" will bump into a lot of food, especially if you do a raised cook.  nakedwhiz or some other site did an eval a while back and found the shorter one would read a bit too low.  But, I don't remember if that was the original 2.5" or the matched 3.5"  I use the longer one when I can, but have the shorter for times that it might touch the food.
    When I used the 5 inch I put a spacer between the dial and the egg. Some folks used wine corks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Maybe I got an old one off the shelf from the dealer?  The tip is pointed and the dial has the BGE logo is printed in green.  My small is brand new this summer and the thermo tip is blunted and the dial is printed in black.  I'm going to try to recalibrate, but that is a HUGE inaccuracy.  I figure its not trustworthy. 
    The ones from tell tru have the egg logo but also have the tell tru name

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Maybe I got an old one off the shelf from the dealer?  The tip is pointed and the dial has the BGE logo is printed in green.  My small is brand new this summer and the thermo tip is blunted and the dial is printed in black.  I'm going to try to recalibrate, but that is a HUGE inaccuracy.  I figure its not trustworthy. 
    The ones from tell tru have the egg logo but also have the tell tru name
    You are a fountain of knowledge!  I just checked mine.  The themo from the small is a Tel-Tru and the other one I suspect is junk is not.  I wasn't looking at the smaller print earlier possibly because without glasses I didn't feel like squinting! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hahaha...not sure how to take that. I spew a lot of stuff and most times it ain't knowledge

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hahaha...not sure how to take that. I spew a lot of stuff and most times it ain't knowledge
    Thanks for your help LS!  I'll stop listening to what others say about you. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • The old ones were notorious for being off. Once you adjusted them once they were toast. I still have a drawer full of them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

I did a pizza cook this weekend.  While waiting for my large to come up to temp, my BGE dome thermo was telling me 400.  It was still telling me 400 a few minutes later when flames were roaring out the top! 

My initial thought was that the temp needle had "lapped" the gauge.  Meaning, you went past 800 and were working you're way back around, possibly at 1000 degrees plus.  I've read about that a few times as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i would get the 3.5 teltru now, i use an older 2.5 teltru and while it reads about 10 percent low you get used to it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey said:

I did a pizza cook this weekend.  While waiting for my large to come up to temp, my BGE dome thermo was telling me 400.  It was still telling me 400 a few minutes later when flames were roaring out the top! 

My initial thought was that the temp needle had "lapped" the gauge.  Meaning, you went past 800 and were working you're way back around, possibly at 1000 degrees plus.  I've read about that a few times as well.
    Might have been true the needle was on the second lap - good thought!
    When I do a clean, I take the dome thermo out, It doesn't matter to me if the temp is 700 or wrapped around to 1000+. The way I look at it, when the egg is in full after burn, flames coming out the top, it is probably hot enough, If you want an indication of heat shove a 3 " nail in the temp probe hole and when it glows red, the egg is probably clean 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    edited November 2012

Thank you all for your responses!  I had the day off (thank you veterans!) so me and my 4 year old daughter went to check out a new BGE dealer.  Mauer Heating & Cooling in Owosso Michigan and he's on the forum as @Owossoegger .  It was a bit of a drive for me, but it was worth it.  They are devoting some space in the shop for BGE stuff and they already carry Dizzy Pig products so I can see they're serious!  They didn't have a bunch of stuff in stock because they are a new dealer.  My advice was to carry some (don't need a lot) of maintenance products like gasket kits & dome thermo's. 

Which brings me back to our subject.  I ordered a new dome thermo and he said he would check to make sure it was a new one manufactured by Tel-Tru.  I should have it at the end of the week!  Now that's a dealer!  I also bought some Pineapple Head, Cow Lick Steak and Swamp Venom!

If you are in mid-Michigan, stop by Mauer Heating & Cooling in Owosso! 

Flint, Michigan
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    After my original BGE thermometer failed, the local dealer replaced it with a Tel Tru BGE branded one.  On this one, I've opted to leave the retention clip off.  That way, I can easily remove it during clean-out burns.  Gravity keeps it in place.  The only downside is without the clip, it's free to rotate and does so.
  • Thanks for coming in.  Always nice to put a face with a name.  How'd your pineapple turn out last night?  I'm sure it was great!
  • I got trumped by church. My wife & teenaged daughter went to Ladies Craft Night. Me & my daughter you met foraged for leftovers. Pork chops & pineapple is on the menu tonight! I'll let you know how the Pineapple Head works out.
    Flint, Michigan