Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do you get nervous about your lump charcoal inventory...

Okay, after a few years of SWMBO rants, I decided to reduce my "time to buy more" lump inventory to around 60#'s-(27+ kgs). While I have never seen any of my suppliers run out in the Winter, I would be much happier with more in the locker. My consumption rate is probably about 6-8#'s /week.  I'm sure I'm in the "overkill" category here-anyone else?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I live in Canada and it will be my first winter with the egg.  I have a stash of 5 X 8kg bags stored in the basement in case local suppliers go out of stock.  My current consumption rate is arround 4kg per week but I expect that it will go down as it starts snowing...  Worst case scenario, I can drive to a local bbq dealer 45-60 minutes away and get bge lump.

• I never get "nervous".  Normally, I will keep 6 to 8 bags of RO in the garage.  I might up that around this time of year when WW is looking for more display space for Christmas.  However, I know I can get other brands from places like Lowe's and Home Depot if I can't get it at my normal places.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Normally about 3 bags of wicked good on hand as if I buy 3 at a time they give me 20% off.
    Lynnwood WA
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Since Grove is local, and grilling season never ends in S.E. Wisconsin (I like to say grilling season starts on January 1 and ends on December 31, many a New Years Eve Egging Steaks in the snow at my house).  I don't worry, only reason I "stocked" up in spring was the RO deal at Menards seemed like a good deal.  Usually I buy 20 lbs at a time at the local Piggly Wiggly, or Ace Hardware store.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I just picked up seven 22 pound bags of Wicked Good from ACE bringing my total stash to about 400 pounds.  70 pounds of Dragon Breath, 154 pounds of Wicked Good, 120 pounds of Ozark Oak, 60 pounds of Halls Hill pecan and black cherry, and a 20 pound bag of BGE.  I use different charcoal for different cooks - the Halls Hill black cherry is awesome with boston butt.  So the way I see it is I don't have a lump problem, I'm just a connoisseur of lump charcoal.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    @dlk7 you my Sir have a problem ;)
    Lynnwood WA
  • I don't get nervous about it.  Wilma on the other hand....  She don't get nervous, she gets irritated.
    Flint, Michigan
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I am in Canada and once you get into November charcoal is hard to find till March.  I have six bags in my shed and I think it should do the trick.  If I did run out I know were I can buy charcoal year round but it just isn't that convenient.

Gerhard
  • Never, I live in central Texas.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Out here on the Left Coast, it isn't impossible to find in winter, just a bit difficult.  I do like to stock up on RO late summer, but I can always find Cowboy at HD.

:-c
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Yeah, Cowboy can always be found at HD.  I've found some plastic in a couple of bags this summer so I was happy to have found a source that carries RO made lump year round.  I still like a bit of a hoarding stash like Linus likes his blanket.  It makes me feel better. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I keep between 60 and 120 lbs on hand. Dealer gives a price break for larger purchases.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I try to keep 100# in reserve.  'bout what I have in the manbearcave.  Harder, but not unavailable here in the winter.  Can always order from Ace Hardware.
    I disagree with @travisstrick. When I'm down to half a bag. Ok, not so much nervous, just make myself a note to pick some up on the way home from work the next day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    66  lbs. of Wicked Good and 50 lbs Royal Oak in the garage... and five 25 lb. mesh bags of smoke woods (Hickory, Oak, Pecan, Cherry and Apple) on the deck.  May have to get a stick burner to use all the wood.  
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    I try to have one unopened bag plus the currently opened bag before I go shopping. Actually I am not too worried because up until this year I was looking for all natural briquettes from my CharGriller smoker, Come October the only briquettes most places carried were Blue Bag Kingsford (Yuck). The all natural briquettes were REALLY hard to come by. But what I noticed is most places that carried WGWW in the summer also kept it around in the Winter. I always figured this was because casual grillers don't use WG, so it make sense for the stores to carry it year round. 

Of course we'll see if my luck holds this Winter now that I am actually using lump for my new BGE.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • when i walk into the ace hardware that's 1/8th of a mile away from my house and there's no more wicked good. I usually keep a bag on hand. But it's right around the corner when needed. It helps if you drop off some pulled pork to the manager once in a while. Coupons and ample supply are somehow much easier.
  • When the pallet gets about 3/4 of the way down, then it is time to go get another pallet.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• 6 bags (8Kg) in the garage on the tail gate of the hobby truck, 5 bags (8Kg) in the patio furniture shed, 4 bags (8Kg) in the lawn mower and tool shed and an open "I'm using that one and that"s why it is in the back hall" 8Kg bag. Feel a bit like a squirrel hiding stuff away because SWMBO does not understand or share my obsession.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I never worry about how much "stash" I have on hand. Once I use the bottom of the bag on my last use, I just go out and purchase another 35 #  bag on the day I'm doing the next smoke.

It is pretty plentiful down here during the winter months in the south east.

In the infamous words of Alfred E. Newman of Mad magazine:   "What, Me worry?"

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I'm getting nervous. Hopefully the FedEx guy comes soon so I don't have to buy a bag of RO. I know there's a lot of threads discussing lump comsumption and storage, but I picked this one to bump because I'm nervous. I recieved my first 100lbs. of Ozark Oak on August 15th and thought I'd be good until spring. I was so happy, I even stacked it on and around the egg and took a pic. Doesn't last as long as a guy would think. Now I'm waiting on my third 100lb. order since August. I'm down to 1.5 bags. Hopefully I get to the boxes first to get the lump in the garage before my wife notices.   image
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming