Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP Brisket

Uh oh...I did some day drinking and I think I got impatient and started my brisket too soon tonight.  I'm doing a 12 pounder and want it ready for dinner tomorrow around 5 or 6pm.  I put it on at about 7pm and it's already up to 113F two hours later.  What should I do if it's done by say noon or even earlier?  Slice it up and reheat it?  Leave it uncut and heat the whole thing up again?  Help!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    For now you can drop your dome temp-(don't know what your are running at) to around 225-240*F (about as low as you can expect to hold for the evening w/o a controller) and see where you are in the AM.  Then if done anywhere around noon or so, you can FTC (foil, towels and cooler) til ready to eat around 5 PM.  Other options will depend on where you are in the AM. (BTW the current temp rise is nothing to worry about as you haven't gotten close to the stall area-and the temp that counts is the thickest part of the flat-the point will get up around 210*F before the flat declares victory and is finished.)  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Thanks Lou, I'm at 235 grate temp now, I'm going to try to drop it down a tad and see if I can get it to hold steady there for a couple hours before heading to bed.  
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Do not slice until you are ready to serve. You can keep the brisket in a cooler with FTC for several hours. You will be fine.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • alynd
    it held steady between 190-220 all night long somehow.  Internal temp of the brisket is at 147 right now so I think I'm in pretty good shape.
  • lousubcap
    Nice job-you've got this figured out if you can do that w/o a controller.  Given that you can FTC for several hours, I would suggest you don't try to finish the brisket close to when you plan to eat.  Many will run long and then the stress kicks in-better to finish a couple of hours early in my opinion-but we all know what those are worth.  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • when we are competing, we will separate the point and the flat at 170, wrap the flat tight with no air pockets. Then back in I will pull it when it hits 188 to 192. pour off the juice and save it for serving. Then loose wrap it in foil and have held for 3 to 4 hours in a cambro. Remember that the ice chest is small, so it may cause the brisket to keep cooking. Remember what ever method you use, pull before your target temp.

• alynd
    uh oh again....i just pulled it at 195 and it's only 10:45am here...dinner isn't for at least 6 more hours.  What should I do?  I'm separating the point/flat to make burnt ends.  What do I do with the flat at this time to keep it warm, or should I just reheat it in a few more hours closer to eating time?
  • alynd said:
    uh oh again....i just pulled it at 195 and it's only 10:45am here...dinner isn't for at least 6 more hours.  What should I do?  I'm separating the point/flat to make burnt ends.  What do I do with the flat at this time to keep it warm, or should I just reheat it in a few more hours closer to eating time?

double wrap in foil and put it in a cooler stuffed with towels. It should stay for 4-6 hours. I've kept them longer
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Helps if you put a couple of kettles of boiling water in the cooler first.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• alynd
    would an oven set to 195 also work?
  • You could but I would put a pan of water/beer/stock in with it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Hopefully the 195 was in the thickest part of the flat-I would go with the FTC-the oven will dry it out unless you wrap the flat really tight.  Dry heat is my last option for temperature control-but once again an opinion...
  • If you want to hold in the oven, hold at 165-170.......
  • If you want to hold in the oven, hold at 165-170.......

or even 140. just want to hold it at safe temp and dry it out as little as possible
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Lol gonna need more beer than brisket to stomach watching KC.