Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Use Of the XL Egg

Picking up my XL egg when I get back from work (NOV 16) and I read a few palces not get the temp above 350 on the first burn for the gasket. I'm really not much of a smoker and more a steak, venison, and elk steak kind of guy but sometime smoke a brisket or pork shoulder. How many of you current owners got there egg above the recommended temp the first time?

Comments

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    I did and didn't have a problem. It took a couple pizza cooks to really fry my gasket.

By the way, I haven't replaced my gasket since (although I got a new one under warranty), and I have had no problems.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Welcome to the clan...I did several cooks @ 400* or below when I first got my LBGE. Have not had any problems with the gasket. Saw some caution statements about going high temp, like for pizza, won't hurt to be safe.

Opelika, Alabama
  • There are lots of things that can be cooked at 350 or lower.You can even cook your steaks that way , they just won't be seared, unless you put them directly on the coals.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • And make to try a reverse sear on those steaks.
    LBGE
  • Welcome to the clan...I did several cooks @ 400* or below when I first got my LBGE. Have not had any problems with the gasket. Saw some caution statements about going high temp, like for pizza, won't hurt to be safe.
    I probably read the same cautions and kept it below 400 for the same reasons.  I also cooked food not too expensive, ie chicken and fish, as I got use to temp control.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• I would burn it alone before putting food in it simply to get rid of the first cook smell that the egg can put into the meat. I didnt really worry about the gasket and as others have mentioned, it took a pizza cook or 3 to melt the gasket/ glue the lid closed. BTW, once my gasket was gone (which was 4 months ago) I never looked back. No issues what so ever. But load up a small load of lump and get her up to 300-400 and let it burn out, then cook. At least for me and many others, there was an acrid taste/smell the first time.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• I agree with michigan_Jason.  My first cook was chicken wings on my XL and the acrid taste was pretty strong.  Do you a small burn first.
  • I stayed below 350 for my first several cooks for the whole gasket thing. After I did my first pizza a week later my gasket was toast anyways. A year later and it's just a charred little remnance of what used to be a gasket, but no effect on my cooks.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Here is a thought. Remove the gasket befor you assemble or cook. That way you never have to fool with it. I haven't had a gasket on my XL for quite some time with no issues. I can hold sub 200 for a long time.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd do a dry run also....from my short experience and reading this forum your gasket is good as gone anyhow.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I wouldn't worry about it either way. If it's new, it should have the new nomex gasket anyway. You will either fry off the worthless old gasket and they will replace with the new nomex at no charge or you can roll commando without one. Ask your dealer if it has the new gasket.If not, have them put one on for you before you pick it up.

I do agree with the burn before you cook idea. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I removed mine before the first use, much easier and cleaner. I installed a rutland on the bottom, but if i had to do it again i would just put the rutland on top and simply run without the bottom one. Much cleaner.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • so there's a new better gasket on the new ones?

• Yes, the new Eggs have the Nomex gasket versus old felt one. Me old one was terrible. For the first cook, I did chicken and it did have a little of that acrid taste to it but I think thAt was because I didn't let the egg heat up enou and burn off the bad smoke you get in every cook. I say go for it. You will love it. Yes there is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you will realize there is no better cooker in the world.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • I could have been guilty of not letting it burn off the bad smoke as well
  • My plan from the result of the feedback from yall will be (1) Unload egg (2) set it up (3) load about 1/4 of coals (4) light it (5) close it and play with temp (6) let it burn all night with nothing on it (7) Clean it the next day (8) load it again, light it, cook something   Did I miss anything?