Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those of you who make their own rub

I was wondering where you get your spices and seasonings from.

I'm going to try out myspicesage.com , they give free delivery and if you place a $30 order right now you get free Turkey Brine seasoning. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2012
    I usually just buy at the grocery store or a BJ's/Costco.  I've been wondering where to get some better stuff. 

I was just checking out that site and it seems a little pricey.  I was looking at garlic powder, and 1 oz is $2.75.  It is gets cheaper the more you buy, but a 16 oz container is still close to $1/oz. 

I've heard other people mention Penzy's, but it is comparable in price. 

Dizzy Pig is starting to look like a pretty good bargain! ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Depends.

For Mexican type stuff  (cumin, chipotles, Mexican oregano, etc), I go to the Mexican farmer's market here in Houston.

For more fancy stuff: Penzey's

Some stuff online: Vanilla beans.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Like VI, I use Penzey's (they also offer free shipping >$30) for the majority of spice and herb, other than what I buy locally. There is a large south and east asian population in the lower mainland of BC, I depend on those market shops for herbs and spices. Check out your local ethnic markets if you have some. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Look for a local Indian store. I get most of my spices there since the quality is much better than anything you'll find in the super market, and it's so much cheaper. I walk out with a 20+ oz bag of cumin for the same price that I would pay for 4 ounces at a super market. $30 will no doubt send you home with a few pounds of good quality spices.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Penzeys - good, consistent product and a reasonable price. That and there are 3 of them within 30 minutes of me.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • If you have Whole Foods in your area they have a good assortment of herbs and spices at low cost
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • If you have Whole Foods in your area they have a good assortment of herbs and spices at low cost
    Not at ours.  I was looking for Vanilla beans to make Vanilla Extract.

Whole Foods: $13 for 2 beans ($6.50 per bean)
    Penzeys: $9.90 for 3 beans ($3.30 per bean)
    Online: 50 cents per bean

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    In the Lancaster, PA, area the best place to buy bulk spices is the Shady Maple market in East Earl. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    If you want to learn, really learn about spices ans rubs go to AmazingRibs.com. The owner's name is Meathead. He has won many grilling/smoking competitions. He has taught cooking at Cordon Blue's schools. He is a wine expert and has written columns for newspaper's around the country. He will teach about what spices can do and can't do. Tell Meathead I sent you... If you ask him a question about something you are working on, on his site, he will usually get back to you within an hour.
  • Several folks have suggested the wholesale clubs and Whole Foods as sources. COSTCO has some spices and the prices are good my only issue is the large quantity and keeping them fresh. Whole Foods is OK but the price point is higher for smaller amounts. I live in the Atlanta area and buy my spices at YDFM, Your DeKalb Farmer Market for several reasons; you have a choice of large or small sized containers, prices are best I have found in the area and I think they have high enough sales volume to ensure freshest spices. They also have whole and ground spices for some spices. I buy the whole unground spice when I can as it stays fresh much longer. I grind it in the food processor bowl someday I may buy a spice grinder. By the way the meat at YDFM is more expensive but is hormone free if that matters to you.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I suggest look for local Indian stores and get whole spices instead of ground and only grind them when you are going to use it. Store it in airtight containers too to keep the freshness. Make sure you lightly roast the spices before grinding.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Just to add to my earlier post you don't need to buy premade rubs you can make your own in the quantity you will use. This is a far more cost effective way to have fresh rubs with less waste. I read some where that ground spices last up to 3 months if stored in a air tight container away from light and heat. The internet has spice and rub recipes galore try some new ones you never know when you'll find a rub that beats all the commercial ones.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I agree w. the above that mention Indian and Mexican markets, assuming you have them in your area. Also oriental and middle eastern. All of them will most likely have whole spices at extremely low prices, and in large quantities.Probably bags that are so large you will never use the contents in years.  But, w.. a little care, the whole spices can be stored for a considerable time, and retain a lot of pungency when ground as needed. The whole dried chili pods seem to retain their quality for several years.

Otherwise, I suggest looking for a good bulk supplier not too far away. I order from a place called the Spice House, in Chicago.

Otherwise, check out companies that are established around a speciality, such as Pendrey's of Texas, which has very fine chilis.

Over the long term, consider an herb garden. You can, if you like, dry tour own garlic, onions and chives.  Its always handy having some fresh thyme or rosemary on hand.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I buy paprika by the quart. Always seem to use it in my rubs. Indian stores are great for spices. Even if you buy in bulk and don't use it, you still save tons of money than buying super market version. I pay less for a 16oz bag at the local indian store than I would for 3-4 ounces of the super market brand. Although I agree with fljoeman about buying small quantities and grind when you need them, time factor sets in and I've had some ground spices last plenty long for my needs.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I'm an Amazon Prime member, and get a lot of spices through them.  If nothing else, I'm sure they have good turnover.  
    Will need to check to see if SLC has an Indian grocery.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I have seen several posts regarding buying spices in large quantities. Just a suggestion regarding storage. If possible buy your spices before they are ground. I read and found to be true that spices available in whole seeds stored in a cool place out of sunlight tend to last more than a year. I use a coffee grinder when it comes time to use the spice of course you could buy a spice mill. If you use a coffee grinder be sure to clean the grinder before and after use. Grind only what you need and put the seeds back in storage. Certainly saves money and helps ensure tasty rubs.
  • myspicesage.comis who I use and these people are great to deal with and usually send you a package of free spices of some kind

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Whole dried peppers from Fiesta Bolner, Penzeys, Costco. Sams grocery store speciality stores. If I buy in bulk goes into freezer and measure out what is needed I make my rubs before each cook, roast of toast then into coffee grinder.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • whit
    whit Posts: 1
    cash and carry of there are bulk sections at the some grocery stores
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2013

I just make them at work and bring home. One of the perks of being a chef. Just did a batch on Thursday.

• The trouble with most spices and herbs that are packaged for retail sale is that they are typically pretty old by the time we buy them, let alone by the time we use them.  Freshest (assuming you don't grow your own) are most often at "health food" type stores that you can buy exactly how much you need our of the bin.

In the Charlottte NC metro area best bet is Home Economist.  Buy just enough for a month or two and then reload.  Also - in bulk they are about 75% less expensive than prepackaged.

Glass half full vs glass half empty - either way we need to open another bottle!

Big and Mini Eggs, Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis 330

In heaven all the interesting people are missing. -  Friedrich Nietzsche