Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Craigslist cast iron- good deal or pass?

http://columbia.craigslist.org/hsh/3371012004.html I want more cast iron. This is more than I need but if its a good enough deal.
Boom

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2012

Too rich for my blood. 

See what they would take on the #9(bottom of second pic), looks to be a Griswold, and in great shape.

This may help down the road....

http://www.griswoldcookware.com/undersatnding_griswold.htm

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Seems a bit pricey to me - I have a set of the skillets, short handle - looks very much the same, made in Taiwan on the back - good stuff, we have had since camping days 25 years ago. The corn pan is available in cast for <$20 at local kitchen store. 
    If some is marked by a specific manufacturer and you are a collector, than any price may be good, but for everyday use, you might do better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I don't know man...that seems a little pricey for used CI.  CI does last a long time and I'm sure it would work fine, but I don't see $25 per piece as a great deal. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• From what I've read Griswold is getting pretty rare. I would at least find out how many pieces are Griswold

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That's about fair value for them. I wouldn't pay that. Shop your local flea markets and yard sales. I recently got about 8 pieces for $35. One Griswold and two Wagner. All were as good as CI gets.

Point is, shop around.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Great advice. Thanks everyone. I'll see if willing to sell individually and try and get the griswold or lodge pieces. I only NEED 2-4 pieces
    Boom
  • Sounds like if you went for it, you would have a bit of money tied up in it until you unloaded your discards.  Unless you're a CI collector jonesing for Griswold, I would pass.
    Flint, Michigan
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'd take the Griswold piece. But I would never pay over 10-15 a piece. Just make sure the bottoms are flat. Put on a flat surface and spin it, if it doesn't spin then it's flat. I personally don't like having a bunch of cast iron because I like having 2/3 different sized pieces that are used often instead of an array of pieces that I have to split cooks on.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Question: I emailed about just the griswold. He said a#9 12 inch for $50. Thoughts?
    Boom
  • If its in perfect condition, maybe. That's on the high side of fair value.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • If its in perfect condition, maybe. That's on the high side of fair value.

his words describing it was "an oldie but goodie" so I think I'll skip and shop for another posting. Thanks again everyone.
    Boom
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2012

By the pic posted, appears to be in good shape.  Not much, if any, restoration required.  Season and use. 

You can find #8s all day.  #9s, a little more rare.  Perfect size for a large egg. 

For a first piece, I'd counter with $40.  That is a fair price, and IMO, worth it.  Especially if it is a large logo with heat ring or a large logo EPU.  Small logo I would pass.

Lots of people jumping on the Vintage CI bandwagon, values appear to be increasing on fleabay.  Supply vs Demand.

With shipping averaging 15-20 bucks a piece, this isn't too bad of a deal....if Columbia is close.  

That is the only pan in the listing I would bother picking up.  Took a while to condition myself and restrain.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."