Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to try a different approach

2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2012
    henapple said:
    I tried the mustard/Worcestershire rub with sea salt and cracked pepper on my last prime rib roast. It produced a great bark. Not sure you could use it on brisket though.
    I'm still kinda in the "I don't ever want to squeeze mustard on my meat" camp. Lol
    There's so many things I could say...but don't want a flag.
    LOL...I read ya loud and clear.  :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I'm anxious to try it. I take some pride in my brisket and am very happy with the way I do it now which is rub with a heavy garlic, pepper, salt type rub so I don't think I'm too far off on just salt/pepper like franklins. I do use an injection tho and I've found it to work pretty well too. I am still off on my timing as well, I cook mine about 275, and my last cook off I had to pull it off the egg about 5 hours before turn in. Not ideal, but I did win 1st brisket so I can't complain. I have found about 275 is about optimal temp from all my experiments or at least it works best for me.. The one thing I do like is pecan wood, rather than oak. My next one I am doing salt/pepper mix, my injection with pecan. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
  • cazzy
    friscoag said:
    I'm anxious to try it. I take some pride in my brisket and am very happy with the way I do it now which is rub with a heavy garlic, pepper, salt type rub so I don't think I'm too far off on just salt/pepper like franklins. I do use an injection tho and I've found it to work pretty well too. I am still off on my timing as well, I cook mine about 275, and my last cook off I had to pull it off the egg about 5 hours before turn in. Not ideal, but I did win 1st brisket so I can't complain. I have found about 275 is about optimal temp from all my experiments or at least it works best for me.. The one thing I do like is pecan wood, rather than oak. My next one I am doing salt/pepper mix, my injection with pecan. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
    Yeah, you definitely aren't far off for sure.  Congrats on your 1st brisket.  Haven't tried pecan wood nor have I ever injected...pecan will happen well before the injection ever will.  That's mainly because I'm a lazy cook. lol

No problem...happy to share.  In the end, I learned something so I consider it a good cook.
  • cazzy said:
    friscoag said:
    I'm anxious to try it. I take some pride in my brisket and am very happy with the way I do it now which is rub with a heavy garlic, pepper, salt type rub so I don't think I'm too far off on just salt/pepper like franklins. I do use an injection tho and I've found it to work pretty well too. I am still off on my timing as well, I cook mine about 275, and my last cook off I had to pull it off the egg about 5 hours before turn in. Not ideal, but I did win 1st brisket so I can't complain. I have found about 275 is about optimal temp from all my experiments or at least it works best for me.. The one thing I do like is pecan wood, rather than oak. My next one I am doing salt/pepper mix, my injection with pecan. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
    Yeah, you definitely aren't far off for sure.  Congrats on your 1st brisket.  Haven't tried pecan wood nor have I ever injected...pecan will happen well before the injection ever will.  That's mainly because I'm a lazy cook. lol

No problem...happy to share.  In the end, I learned something so I consider it a good cook.

I used pecan quite a bit but have gone all oak on beef since then. It makes a big difference to me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Well ya sold me. Oak it is next time then.
  • friscoag said:
    Well ya sold me. Oak it is next time then.

I think you'll like it. I like pecan too but there is something about Oak on Brisket that is money
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    red oak? white? What is post oak?
  • brycos said:
    You can use any oak. Red is traditional for Tri Tip but I use whatever is available. Post Oak is a white oak that got it's name because that's what people used as the posts for their barbed wire fences. It's smaller than most oaks and many of the limbs are perfect diameter to use as fence posts. They are everywhere down here and very common for BBQ

• cazzy

brycos said:

You can use any oak. Red is traditional for Tri Tip but I use whatever is available. Post Oak is a white oak that got it's name because that's what people used as the posts for their barbed wire fences. It's smaller than most oaks and many of the limbs are perfect diameter to use as fence posts. They are everywhere down here and very common for BBQ

Good info cen!
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    brycos said:

Thanks!  That's good news! I can get white oak!!

• brycos said:
    brycos said:

Thanks!  That's good news! I can get white oak!!

perfect. Give it a try. I think you will enjoy the flavor- especially on beef.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks like it came out pretty darn good. Always fun, and a bit nerve racking, to try somethinig new on briskets. I start to worry halfway through the cook. You invest all that time and you don't want to screw it up. It's been forever since I've done a brisket, need to do one soon, but all are friends have babies now and nobody leaves their house. Too much meat for Mrs. G and I to eat by ourselves.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings