Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practice Breast

Options

Like some other folks on the board, I used this weekend to practice for Thanksgiving with a 7.5 lb bone-in turkery breast. I’ve had my LBGE since mid-September, so I wanted to get some turkey experience before the big day. . I slipped some butter under the skin then oiled the outside and lightly rubbed with a pretty basic turkey rub. Setup: plate setter legs up in a pswoo3 with the cooking grid on top (at the felt line). V-rack in a drip pan with some liquid on top of the grid.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Added a small hand full of soaked pecan chips to the lump right before setting the breast and basted several times during cooking with a wine, butter and rosemary concoction. It took about 2.5 hours at around 340. According to my guinea pigs, the results were very good. Even though this was a typical grocery store bird that had been in the freezer for I don’t know how long, it almost tasted fresh.  For Thanksgiving, I’ve been eyeing the Bourbon Brined (injected) recipe in the BGE cookbook using a fresh 10-12 lb bird. Love cooking on the egg! (My first attempt at photos; hope they work OK).

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

Comments