Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yellowfin help, cast iron direct sear or...

Direct flame on cast iron grate or heat up a cast iron skillet and sear in that?
Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• unless you are searing very close to the lump bed I recommend doing the pre heated CI pan. Tuna is done in 45-60 seconds per side and if you aren't very hot, you don't get the sear you need before it's cooked through
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I do it raised direct. Be ready to move fast and make sure you pan is well lubed couse it's going to try to stick.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    If I use the skillet, a lil butter, garlic?? Or maybe just lil oil?
  • Lowflyer said:
    If I use the skillet, a lil butter, garlic?? Or maybe just lil oil?

how are you going to eat it? Asian? Steak style?
  • It might be a better idea to do it in a Teflon pan if you want it rare.
  • It might be a better idea to do it in a Teflon pan if you want it rare.

that's the way I do it.
  • Lowflyer
    edited November 2012
    I'm thinking Asian style. Teflon makes more sense.
  • Do it a non stick inside. This was done with a 50/50 mix of olive oil and sesame oil in a non stick skillet. I may have posted the recipe. If not, I'll be glad to send it. It's really good and easy.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Do that^
  • Lowflyer
    @ Cen-tex, please send. Looks great.
  • Here you go: credit my frieds at Hunt, Fish, Cook TV show and website. Good folks! (if this does not format on my ipad, I'll repost from my laptop) Ingredients Go to the HuntFishOverstock Store Super fresh, just-caught yellowfin/ahi tuna. It does get better than that, but it may not be legal in your state. When it is good and fresh, I rarely cook it at all. If you do cook it thoroughly, it will taste like the stuff in the can. 4 servings 4 pieces tuna loin, cut into pieces – two inches in diameter by 5 inches long 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard 1 tablespoon sesame oil 2 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce 1/2 cup sesame seeds (buy in the Asian or Hispanic part of your market – much cheaper!) 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil Sauce 1/4 cup low-salt soy sauce 1 tablespoon pickled ginger, minced (or substitute 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger) 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 tablespoon (or more) prepared wasabi paste 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar 2 green onions, chopped 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with equal part cold water To prepare sauce, combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes to thicken. Instructions To prepare fish, combine Dijon mustard with next two ingredients. Coat fish with mixture. Spread sesame seeds on a plate and roll coated fish in seeds. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and lightly brown each side. Do not cook fish more than a few minutes. When properly cooked, only the outside 1/8 inch is cooked. Most of the center is still raw (call it “rare” if it makes you feel better). To serve, spoon sauce onto plates. Carefully slice tuna into medallions and arrange over sauce.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Dang-if I hadn't had a few adult beverages I would swear the above Cen-Tex presentation is a clone of VI's or vice versa (chicken and egg...)...but I could be wrong!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Super fresh, just-caught yellowfin/ahi tuna. It does get better than that, but it may not be legal in your state. When it is good and fresh, I rarely cook it at all. If you do cook it thoroughly, it will taste like the stuff in the can. 

4 servings 

4 pieces tuna loin, cut into pieces – two inches in diameter by 5 inches long 
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard 
    1 tablespoon sesame oil 
    2 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce 
    1/2 cup sesame seeds (buy in the Asian or Hispanic part of your market – much cheaper!) 
    2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil 

Sauce 
    1/4 cup low-salt soy sauce 
    1 tablespoon pickled ginger, minced (or substitute 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger) 
    3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar 
    2 garlic cloves, minced 
    1 tablespoon (or more) prepared wasabi paste 
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice 
    1/2 teaspoon brown sugar 
    2 green onions, chopped 
    1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with equal part cold water 

To prepare sauce, combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes to thicken. 

Instructions  To prepare fish, combine Dijon mustard with next two ingredients. Coat fish with mixture. Spread sesame seeds on a plate and roll coated fish in seeds. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and lightly brown each side. Do not cook fish more than a few minutes. When properly cooked, only the outside 1/8 inch is cooked. Most of the center is still raw (call it “rare” if it makes you feel better). 

To serve, spoon sauce onto plates. Carefully slice tuna into medallions and arrange over sauce.
  • Lowflyer

Super fresh, just-caught yellowfin/ahi tuna. It does get better than that, but it may not be legal in your state. When it is good and fresh, I rarely cook it at all. If you do cook it thoroughly, it will taste like the stuff in the can. 

4 servings 

1 tablespoon sesame oil 
    1/2 cup sesame seeds (buy in the Asian or Hispanic part of your market – much cheaper!) 

Sauce 
    1 tablespoon pickled ginger, minced (or substitute 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger) 
    2 garlic cloves, minced 
    1/2 teaspoon brown sugar 
    2 green onions, chopped 

To prepare sauce, combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes to thicken. 

Instructions  To prepare fish, combine Dijon mustard with next two ingredients. Coat fish with mixture. Spread sesame seeds on a plate and roll coated fish in seeds. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and lightly brown each side. Do not cook fish more than a few minutes. When properly cooked, only the outside 1/8 inch is cooked. Most of the center is still raw (call it “rare” if it makes you feel better). 

To serve, spoon sauce onto plates. Carefully slice tuna into medallions and arrange over sauce.
    Thank you sir. The better half already has it in "her" marinade so will have to try this next time. My sciatic pain is so bad at the moment I almost said screw it all. I'm Eggin the asparagus and Romain lettuce and then it's suds n bourbon on the couch for some SEC ass whoopin.
  • Lowflyer said:
    Super fresh, just-caught yellowfin/ahi tuna. It does get better than that, but it may not be legal in your state. When it is good and fresh, I rarely cook it at all. If you do cook it thoroughly, it will taste like the stuff in the can. 

4 servings 

1 tablespoon sesame oil 

Sauce 
    2 garlic cloves, minced 
    1/2 teaspoon brown sugar 
    2 green onions, chopped 

Thank you sir. The better half already has it in "her" marinade so will have to try this next time. My sciatic pain is so bad at the moment I almost said screw it all. I'm Eggin the asparagus and Romain lettuce and then it's suds n bourbon on the couch for some SEC @#!*% whoopin.
    cool man. This one is good but there are tons of ways to do it. Try it some time, think you will like it. I'll post it by itself so we can all search it.My back hurt all day until about 2 Tito's ago. somehow it's feeling better now :)

BTW- If you love football, flip it to USC/Oregon. It's insane (almost half but it's crazy)

• Lowflyer
    BTW- If you love football, flip it to USC/Oregon. It's insane (almost half but it's crazy)
    Watching now. Where's the defense w these cats??? I believe they will cover that 70 O/U.
  • Lowflyer said:
    BTW- If you love football, flip it to USC/Oregon. It's insane (almost half but it's crazy) Watching now. Where's the defense w these cats??? I believe they will cover that 70 O/U.
    I don't have a dog in this fight (Longhorns fan) but it's been a blast to watch. 
  • Lowflyer

Lowflyer said:

Watching now. Where's the defense w these cats??? I believe they will cover that 70 O/U.

I don't have a dog in this fight (Longhorns fan) but it's been a blast to watch. 
    Ditto, no dog here. DAWGS won, so all is well!!!
  • Lowflyer

Lowflyer said:

Ditto, no dog here. DAWGS won, so all is well!!!