Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger ideas and recipes

GumpFu
GumpFu Posts: 7
Cooking burgers in the BGE tonight for a bunch of people, (tailgating for SEC football).  Care to share your secrets to a great burger?   I have a recipe that I got from someone that I really don't like.  The rub covers the taste of the burger and makes it almost mealy.  I want something juicy!  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2012
    Lucy Juicy is the rage up north somewhere.  I like to just take two patties and place some cheese between them and make sure the edges are pressed firm.

Beef, Burger, 5-8 CLUB's Juicy Lucy

Never had one but this claims to be from the 5-8 club.

INGREDIENTS:  
    2 1/4 lb    choice ground beef patties  
    1 oz    American, Blue or Cheddar cheese (or about 2 slices of your favorite cheese)  

1   fresh sliced hamburger bun  
    2   round slices of dill pickle  

salt & pepper to taste  

Procedure:
    1 Make two round patties about 1/4" thick
    2 Place cheese on top of one raw patty
    3 Place 2nd patty atop the cheese and the lower patty
    4 Pinch ground beef all around the edges of top and bottom- so cheese is completely enclosed
    5 Place patty into a hot frying pan. Salt and pepper top of patty to suit you taste
    6 Fry about 4 1/2 minutes on each side for medium done burger (More OR Less to suit you)
    7 Toast or grill bun if preferred - and lay two slices of dill pickle on top of bottom bun
    8 Place hot burger atop the pickled bottom bun and place top bun on burger
    9 Serve - and - if preferred, slice in half at serving time to display the hot melted cheese

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Cooking Tips
    Be careful - this filling will be hot ........ MAKES ONE JUICY LUCY BURGER

Recipe Source

Author: Courtesy of: 5-8 Club Minneapolis

Source: BGE Forum, Fishlessman, 2009/05/22

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Google "Umami Burger".  I loved em.  Go easy on the fish sauce!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is a sauce that I make and add to fatties, burgers and meat loafs.  This keeps indefinately in frig for future use.

Sauce, Umami, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:  
    1/2 cup    Soy Sauce  
    2 Tbs    Sherry, Cooking spray  
    2 Tbs    Turbindo sugar  
    2 Tbs    Honey  
    2-3 Tbs    Hoisin Sauce  
    2-3   Cloves Garlic, Minced  
    1 Tbs    Ginger Oil  

1 tsp    5-Spice Seasoning  
    3   Garlic Chives, Cut Fine  
    4   Kaffir Lime Leaves, Cut Fine  
    1   Scallion, Cut Fine  
    1   Lime, Juice of  
    2 Tbs    Oyster Sauce  
    1/4 cup    Fish Sauce  
    1 Tbs    Hot Sauce  

Recipe Type
    Marinade, Sauce

Recipe Source

Source: Richard Howe, 2012/01/06

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    We've had these a couple of times, the secret is the 80/20 beef mix. Wife bought extra lean, they were not the same, too mealy. 

Basically has all the veggies except for tomato and lettuce already in the burger!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • We are having a Halloween party tonight and I am making some sliders. I am mixing dizzy pig red eye in with the meat along with some worsy sauce. I am then going to top them with some Gorgonzola and balsamic onions, on a Hawaiian sweet roll. I have never made these before, but in theory they sound great.
  • 80/20 is the secret to a juicy burger, the rest is up to you!!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    edited October 2012

The trick to a great burger is grinding your own beef. Ground beef from the store is a blend of dairy cows that are no longer producing milk, when you grind a cut of beef it comes from cattle that were raised to eat. If you are in a rush just grind a chuck roast, if you have a little time grind 1/3 brisket, 1/3 sirloin, 1/3 beef cheek, if you have a ton of time and good wrist use 1/3 ox tail instead of the beef cheek. Stay away from blending too many ingredients into your burger or you run the risk of crossing into the meatloaf realm. If you are using quality beef there is no need to mix in flavors that will mask the beefy taste of a great burger. I use salt and pepper, a mild cheese, and then I let the guests select their toppings. Another benefit to grinding your own beef is you can enjoy a medium rare or medium burger without the fear of bacteria that comes with industrial grinder. Once you grind you own you will never go back. Enjoy.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

• GumpFu
    GumpFu Posts: 7
    some interesting recipes and techniques so far.  I don't have a grinder so that won't happen, but I can see where it would be good. What temperatures do you use and how do you keep it juicy?  Does anyone use any smoke on their burgers?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The egg will keep them juicy if you close the dome. I use dehydrated onion flakes for a binder. I usually chop up some anchovies and mix with the meat. I use pork, beef and veal in the mix.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Freshly ground meat, like chuck, lightly mixed with salt and pepper, maybe a little fish sauce, then loosly formed into a light patty, plenty of air space, then cooked at 500 direct to medium rare.  Throw some good cheese on right before you pull.
    Try ground filet. No more than med rare though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    80/20 ground chuck.  We mix in 1/3rd Worcestershire, 1/3rd A1 steak sauce, and 1/3rd Heinz 57.  Grill at 500, flip, put extra sharp chedder on top and pull when they hit desired temp.  I always do them with the dome closed.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012

I too, keep it simple anymore.  Ground chuck from the butcher, Worcestershire, A1, S & P, hot griddle.

Done right, condiments aren't necessary.

Nothing against it, but never really understood the juicy lucy stuffed cheese thang.  Much more surface area and cheesy goodness on the exterior, especially when the patties are minimally formed.

Usually around 500 raised direct gets the griddle plenty hot.  Griddle burgers have been the juiciest I have tried.  Seems that the limited airflow around the patties, keeps them from drying out.  Also the sear in it's own grease helps, much like an old-fashioned diner burger.  Keeps the grease from burning in the lump and creating acrid, cancerous flavors.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Daaaamn.  I would try the mooing burger!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    my new favorite is marinated tenderloin burgers, the trick is not to grind them
    :D cut medallions 3/4 thick, marinate in worcestershire, balsamic, and rub, smashem thinner, grill at a high temp, onto burger rolls
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    with the juicy lucy burger, nothing says it has to be cheese, heres a shrimp diane burger

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    looks very appetizing
    What a great thread.
    Thanks!!
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Bear02
    Bear02 Posts: 23
    Focker said:

I too, keep it simple anymore.  Ground chuck from the butcher, Worcestershire, A1, S & P, hot griddle.

Done right, condiments aren't necessary.

Nothing against it, but never really understood the juicy lucy stuffed cheese thang.  Much more surface area and cheesy goodness on the exterior, especially when the patties are minimally formed.

Usually around 500 raised direct gets the griddle plenty hot.  Griddle burgers have been the juiciest I have tried.  Seems that the limited airflow around the patties, keeps them from drying out.  Also the sear in it's own grease helps, much like an old-fashioned diner burger.  Keeps the grease from burning in the lump and creating acrid, cancerous flavors.    

Were do you get that griddle I have a large looking for one 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I do equal short ribs, chuck roast, and brisket ground together. For about 5 pound a couple hand fills of light brown sugar, large sweet onion diced, usually some dp cow lick, 2-3 eggs large and handle the least amount to make a decent patty.
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    Ever put bacon on your burger?  Of course you have, that's just a silly question.  Ever go to take a good big bite and have a strip of bacon come out with it, or worse, falling off before it gets to your mouth?  One thing I've started doing is putting the bacon on before the cheese, which then melts and locks the bacon in place.  Nothing revolutionary, and I'm positive I'm not the first to do this.  It blew my mind when I thought of it though.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    You should try 50/50 burgers. Ground sirloin and ground bacon. I love them , nothing better.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    @zippylip,i tried your recipe except i used pepperjack cheese and added some sauted mushrooms!they were excellent!! thanks for the info!!!! ^:)^
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I love the Bobby Flay Crunch Burger. I just had a cheeseburger lunch. Some people chimed in there with tips; http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149235/cheeseburger-lunch-yes-with-pics#latest
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009