Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever make their own grill cover?

Options

II have a large egg, and a custom built table.  I'd like to get a grill cover on before the weather starts to go south, but I don't want to spend a ton of cash if I don't have to.   I've done a couple Google searches, and it looks like I'd be able to make my own using canvas fabric, and a healthy dose of waterproofing spray.   The pre-made covers are somewhere around $80-$100.  I figure I could make one for about $20.  I haven't found too many examples of DIY covers for the egg, so I'd like to ask the group.

Has anyone ever tried this?  If so, how did it turn out?  Any pictures? Any tips you could pass along?

If you have the standard BGE cover, do you like it?  Is it worth the cash? 

Thanks for the help!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are wasting your time with "waterproofing spray". There is no such thing and whatever benefits it has comes of very quickly when you start moving the cover around. You'll spend more in spray over the live of your cover than you would if you bought Sunbrella or a comparable brand of outdoor wpf fabric
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I use the great Texas sky as a cover. My egg loves it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Do yourself a favor Sam and spend the cash for a good one.  I'm sure you will come out ahead in the long run.  This is my custom Sunbrella cover that was made by John at Coverworks.  There is a link to his website on the Naked Whiz site.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Nice. Thanks, Mike!  I should have known the cheap method was too good to be true. I've already emailed John at Coverworks.   I appreciate the help!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I use the great Texas sky as a cover. My egg loves it.
    ..or so you think. The sun kills the nice glaze of a new Egg, keep it covered from day one and it will look new in 5/10 years. Too late for your Egg Travis!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• cortguitarman
    Options
    I don't care about the little cracks in the glaze (crazing). It stays dry on the inside so I can cook on it in the middle of a storm. The PA winters and hot summer hasn't hurt it yet. And I don't have to chase the cover across the yard during this stupid hurricane.

The ability to leave it uncovered without damage was a selling point for me.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I built mine out of ipe and slate to last forever. Now I keep it in my mancave...lol.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, SWMBO sewed ours together.  It took her about an hour.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/82/036d765376bac55c881b1d45271f7e.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Options
    May I add, the cats effin' love it.  They hang out on the egg table when the cover is on...talk about their day, mice they've chased, pontificate on which canned food is on the menu that evening, which dogs suck, which are cool, etc.
    edited October 2012
    Options
    You are wasting your time with "waterproofing spray". There is no such thing and whatever benefits it has comes of very quickly when you start moving the cover around. You'll spend more in spray over the live of your cover than you would if you bought Sunbrella or a comparable brand of outdoor wpf fabric

@TheCen-TexSmoker

I dunno CT.  That commercial with the fella rowing around a lake with the bottom of his rowboat replaced by a screen door with that waterproofing stuff sprayed on it is pretty convincing.  I'm just sayin'.

Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I think it's futile to try to make porous fabric water proof.  The spray on rubber works well on seams. 

My philosophy is water resistance with porosity.  If you have a water proof cover, it doesn't just keep water out, it keeps it in.  Our cover breathes.  Sheds the bulk of the water, but also lets it dry quickly. 

Our egg table get's drenched all the time.  There is no weathering of the table at all after 6 months or so of New Orleans weather.  I keep it covered about half the time.  It is under a cover, but at the edge of a covered back deck, so it gets somewhat wet when it rains.
    Options

https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/82/036d765376bac55c881b1d45271f7e.jpg

What kind of fabric did you use? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SaltySam said:

What kind of fabric did you use? 
    Went to a fabric store and bought a very heavy outdoor fabric.  Typical fabric stores have a huge selection of outdoor fabrics.  Some are water proof, all are water, UV and rot resistant.
    Options
    BOOM!  Thanks!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Call local boat dealers and such.  Ask them who are some local boat cover makers.   also awning makers will work.  Maybe even upholstery stores.   All you need is somebody who sews and can handle heavy weight fabric.   I suggest added strength around the daisy wheel, as it carries the weight and has the pointy parts......

My wife made me one. It lasted couple years.  They are handy.  

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    See if you can find top gun fabric. My dad's boat cover is made put of this material. Lighter than sunbrella and very durable and waterproof. You may have to sew a vent into it. It doesn't breath well.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • erniemcclain
    Options

Where in NE are you?  I am in the panhandle.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)