Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's talk about Salado

There have been a few questions lately. Just wanted to start a thread to address those and others.

Salado was pretty big last year. I walked around quite a bit and never say everyones cooking. At times there were lines with 20-30 people in them waiting some something delicious. I'm sure there are bigger but I cant imagine there being a better eggfest. Lots of friends and good times. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    This is the blog site (Spring Chicken doing all the work for three years now) : http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com/ We are in the center of Texas on I35 (60 miles south of Waco and 60 miles north of Austin). If you have a kilt please bring as about 8 to 10 did last year (for real). The Scotish Games have been in Salado for the past 50/60 years and kilts are a norm here. This is a no entry fee Fest for cooks or tasters and families. We will give away 4 Minis w/stands. A Yeti cooler and other cool stuff. We invite you and your family to the banks of Salado Creek. This is not a Fest on a parking lot. The city gives us the park and it is gorgeous here with the Creek very near. I might add that Travis shows up with a combat first aid kit for those of us w/o knife skills ( thanks for last year Travis). Please come or email me or call me for info.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I love Yeti coolers. Be cool to see a BGE one like they do with some other companies.
    Boom
  • Mickey
    edited October 2012
    I love Yeti coolers. Be cool to see a BGE one like they do with some other companies.

I am told there is or one in the making. I would buy one but would need Travis to ride everywhere with me to lift the damn thing.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'll be there with bells on.  And maybe a kilt.
    Something under it I hope...or don't sit down.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Hold the Yeti for me and I'm in!
  • I'll be there with bells on.  And maybe a kilt.
    Make sure your lipstick doesn't clash with your plaid.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Mickey said:

I am told there is or one in the making. I would buy one but would need Travis to ride everywhere with me to lift the damn thing.

I bought a 50qt last year. I can carry fully loaded myself. Heavy, but I can. Load in and out of my boat alone. My buddy bought a 65qt few weeks ago. He can carry himself if loaded but I can't carry that. I want a 20qt roadie and I'd like a larger one for meat, thinking a 150.
    Boom
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'll be there for sure! Hoping to get a table this go around.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited October 2012
    Of course I'm in. @lakewade should be with me along with our significant drivers....er I mean others :). If we are all real good, maybe @lakewade will teach us to throw watermelons onto rafts in the creek (no wagering, please- it's for your own good)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead

henapple said:
    Something under it I hope...or don't sit down.
    Let's just say, I'll be "authentic".
    Ain't nothin' clash with utilikilt.   'cept maybe Hello Kitty

dude, is this you? image
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Great venue, great people, early spring weather.....what not to like......
    Mickey throws a top notch fest, pre and after party too......
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nolaegghead

dude, is this you? image
    Does look a lot like me.  But that's no Utilikilt.
    edited October 2012
    This tacti-corset should go well with your Utilikilt. I know I'm wearing one.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    edited October 2012
    Of course I'm in. @lakewade should be with me along with our significant drivers....er I mean others :). If we are all real good, maybe @lakewade will teach us to throw watermelons onto rafts in the creek (no wagering, please- it's for your own good)
    Susan and I are in.  Let's all drive up together, but we should book some rooms at the Stagecoach Inn in Salado.  That' a long drive home.  I am also thinking watermelon kilt games might be in order...

Can't wait!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited October 2012
    lakewade said:

Susan and I are in.  Let's all drive up together, but we should book some rooms at the Stagecoach Inn in Salado.  That' a long drive home.  I am also thinking watermelon kilt games might be in order...

Can't wait!

Done. I was going to get drunk and sleep In Mickeys yard.
  • nolaegghead
    Late to the party.  I'm toasted right now, but I haven't changed my mind, I'll be there. Despite all your childish comments. (smiley face)  (after I'm there you'll wonder why I'm not locked up).  Need to make obligatory family visits, so I'll schedule it conveniently.
    Good idea about Mickey's yard.  Heck, can we park our RV there?  It would look real nice parked in his driveway.  But he shouldn't go falling in love with it 'cause we are taking it with us when we leave in May.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:
    Good idea about Mickey's yard.  Heck, can we park our RV there?  It would look real nice parked in his driveway.  But he shouldn't go falling in love with it 'cause we are taking it with us when we leave in May.

Hope he has a storm sewer close by for when the $hitter gets full
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    You guys will be "coasting into town on fumes"
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • You guys will be "coasting into town on fumes"
    I don't want to impose.............. I'm sure Mickey won't mind if I bring my Rottweiler? He does have a little Mississippi Leg Hound in him though. If he gets started, it's best just to let him finish.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Have you decided what to cook at the Eggfest?

"I don't know why they call it hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself. I like it better than tuna helper myself"
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Made reservations...hopefully it'll work out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    lakewade said:

Hope he has a storm sewer close by for when the $hitter gets full
    hahahaha!

Do you have a king size bed in your guest bedroom?  If not, a queen will work.  Pam and I are used to roughing it.  Also, we'll be bringing my mother in law, so if you could have a cot there, that would be perfect.  Will anybody be there to watch after her while we're at the fest?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm really hoping to make it this year. Damn Mickey keeps scheduling it the same day as the St. Patty's Day parade in Dallas. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Griffin said:
    I'm really hoping to make it this year. Damn Mickey keeps scheduling it the same day as the St. Patty's Day parade in Dallas. :(
    No Sir. Damn Dallas keeps scheduling the same day as Salado :-t

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I was gonna flag you with the disagree button on this one, but still not quite sure how that works. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings