Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn ? not a repeat !!

Been doing the clean burn the way I read about it on the "old forum" 500-600* for an hour or so. Then alum foil to scrape the inside of the egg.....doesn't work very well for me. My question....I have my LBGE on the green feet mounted on a cedar table. No paver. I want to try the fill 'er up with lump method and let her burn. Is that a safe way to go with my set up ??? Thanks eggsperts. 

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    You need a paver, bad...your table will scorch over time. There are plenty of pics on this forum (or the old forum) of scorched tables....when i do a clean burn I load my BGE up full with lump and let it get to 800-1000+ degrees for several hours...no AF necessary after that....but seriously paver, green feet, then BGE...be safe not sorry... 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Suggest something under the green feet. Either a paver or at least a 3/8" ceramic tile if the added height messes up the egg/table relationship. The feet provide air space between two fire safe surfaces, the egg bottom and the tile/paver. Also provides table protection from embers that fall out of the lower vent (It can happen). 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks for your response vidalia1. My next project...paver.

Opelika, Alabama
  • I hope every egger that doesn't have a paver under their egg reads this post. Got some good advice regarding the safety aspect of using a paver to protect the table. vidalia1 mentioned pics of scorched tables on the forum sooo I looked under the egg and couldn't see any scorching. Looked under the table and the board under and in the middle of the egg had a hole burned clear through. About the size of a baseball. This is an admission of having a huge case of dumba$$ but I hope it will be a heads up for my fellow eggers. :(

Opelika, Alabama
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I had a thin paver but no air gap and I have a char spot on the wood shelf below the egg.  Another forum member warned me after seeing pics of my table.  That warning may have stopped a fire.  Needless to say, took care of it and no problems since.

Glad to be of service...and yes it is scary how the heat goes through the wood or thin pavers....

Buck or nola if you could post a pic for others to see that would be great....

• Hope this works....been using this table for 5 years. Sure am lucky !!

Opelika, Alabama
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yep that hole was going to keep on growing for sure...glad you caught it and will remedy the situation....
  • That looks more like a knot that has fallen out of the board, but I wouls still put a paver under the egg. And as added insurance put the feet on the paver to create an air gap for added insulation !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO

• That looks more like a knot that has fallen out of the board, but I wouls still put a paver under the egg. And as added insurance put the feet on the paver to create an air gap for added insulation !
    Thanks for the reply and I welcome your opinion...however the inside of that hole is charred as well as the support beam adjacent to the hole. The boards on both sides of the one with the hole are warped. Going to replace all 3 boards (about $30) and reinforce the support. Treated cedar and a paver that Home Depot will be glad to sell me. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • Couldn't see the char in the pic. My large has always been on a paver but I recently put up on the feet to give it an air gap . Glad you caught your problem before it became a disaster !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Couldn't see the char in the pic. My large has always been on a paver but I recently put up on the feet to give it an air gap . Glad you caught your problem before it became a disaster !
    Thanks again for your input.

Opelika, Alabama
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    My LBGE is on a fairly thick concrete paver. When my son is home from college, I will try to get him help me to add the green feet. I feel kind of dumb that so many people want the feet while I have them and am not using them.

Tim
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Com'n guys. Where is your sense of adventure? Of living on the edge? You don't need no stinkin' pavers......OK, better put one in.
    LBGE
  • ratcheer said:
    My LBGE is on a fairly thick concrete paver. When my son is home from college, I will try to get him help me to add the green feet. I feel kind of dumb that so many people want the feet while I have them and am not using them.

Tim
    How thick is the paver you are using Tim...I have my son and grandson coming up this week-end to help me dismantle my LBGE so I can replace the boards on my table. Thanks

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger , I know you didn't ask this of me but my paver is 2 inches thick !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Buckdodger , I know you didn't ask this of me but my paver is 2 inches thick !
    Thanks for your info my friend. I was trying to figure out if I got too thick a paver and added the green feet the affect that would have on the height of the cooking surface. Should be OK!

Opelika, Alabama
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    How thick is the paver you are using Tim...I have my son and grandson coming up this week-end to help me dismantle my LBGE so I can replace the boards on my table. Thanks
    I'd say about 2" thick, but I can measure it later and report back if that's not correct.

Tim