Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt help please!

Options
Rascal8
Rascal8 Posts: 8
edited October 2012 in Pork
I am a newbie and cooking my second pork butt this weekend. (First was great by the way).  I did the first fat side down after reading some posts and was wondering if I should do this one fat side up.  I would appreciate any thoughts on this. 
Large BGE
Sarasota, FL

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I always do fat up....I'm not eating healthy if I'm eating pulled pork. Throw a pan of turnip greens on, smoke 4 hrs with some salt pork on top.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Rascal8
    Options
    Great idea!  I love turnip greens.  Thanks for the advice and suggestion.
    Large BGE
    Sarasota, FL
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options

I like the extra flavor you get from the bark. I cut off as much fat as I can so I get more bark. I've done about 10+ butts like this. There is enough fat left inside and around the butt to keep it moist. If I did leave the fat cap on, it would be on top so all the juice runs over or through the butt. Any way you do it, it taste great.

Good Luck

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    +1 on fat up on pulled pork.  I don't think it matters for most other low-n-slows like brisket.  I cut the excess off so it's a thin layer.  By the time it's done and you're pulling it off, it's literally falling apart and all that delicious fat is going into the meat.
    Options
    I've always done butts fat side up. Don't think I ever even thought to do it fat side down. Not saying fat down is wrong, just never done it. I don't trim any fat off either. I usually look for 7+ pound butts when I cook one and always have plenty of bark, even after tossing the remaining fat after it's done.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    I think some do fat side down so that if is sticks to the grate the fat sticks and and is pulled off instead of some of the meat.  Having said that I still do fat side up but I really don't think it matter much.  Having said that, I just cleaned out the egg and loaded it up so that I can put on a pork butt when I get home later tonight.

Happy egging.

Cheers
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Ya know I've never done fat side up. Not sure why. Just how I did it the first time so became a habit. But next weekend will try fat side up. Mmmm, fat
    Boom
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Options
    Just goes to show you... there's more than one way to skin a cat.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I do them however they fall on the grate. i've done plenty of both and there is no diff. As berts said, if you are worried about stuff sticking to gthe grid, then go fat side down. it's the only reason i can think of
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX