Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new stone

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up a new pizza stone. I've had several folks share recipes. What about store bought? Also my dealer had a tri level rack I've never seen. $70.not a great pic.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

If i do not make my own dough we buy Pepe's Pizza dough from Super Wal Mart. It is in the frozen bread section and is in plastic bags. It is a great dough and makes great thin crust pizzas...

Instead of the tri-level rack I would suggest looking at www.ceramicgrillsrore.com

for some great BGE Eggcessories...Tom makes top quality products with fast delivery...

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

We like very thin crisp crust and now use tortilla 100% of the time. Several size for what ever you like.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Mickey said:

We like very thin crisp crust and now use tortilla 100% of the time. Several size for what ever you like.

I'll try that...interesting. Thanks.
  • I looked at that multi level rack at my BGE dealer the other day. IMHO, it does not look that functional. Limited space between tiers unless you take the middle one out. Only advantage I see for that thing is you can easily spin the food while cooking.

We lean towards thin crust pizza's here too. We have a small store here in Mankato called Chips Steaks. They sell 14" frozen thin pizza crusts. They thaw in about 15 min. We have to buy 80 at a time for about $50.  But for us it's usually not a problem to split that with other eggheads here, we each take about 20 and alternate coordinating the buys. I've also noticed the one of the regional grocery stores here (Cub Foods) now carries a two pack of thin pizza crust similar to the frozen ones we get but they are in the pasta sauces aisle, similar to Boboli.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Mickey said:

Hey Mickey, they were doing a taste on these at Central Market one day back when we lived in SA. Give em a try.

THREE CHEESE FAUX-CACCIA<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

4 Oz Straveccio

8 Oz Blue Cheese

16 Oz Gouda

4 Roma Tomatoes, thinly sliced

6 Flour Tortillas

Olive Oil

Oregano

Toast/grill tortillas on a griddle or skillet until hardened to brittle stage. Brush top side of tortillas with olive oil.  Add sliced tomatoes and cheeses. Sprinkle with oregano and cook indirect 15-18 minutes @350 degrees.

Notes:

Straveccio is kind of hard to find here. It tastes like a more pungent form of parmesan, if you can’t find straveccio, improvise.

Make sure tortillas are hardened to brittle, otherwise the tomatoes will make them soggy.

We have also thrown on a variety of meats, salami, prosciutto, chorizo. It’s all good.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:

I'll try that...interesting. Thanks.
    We have done this for some time, Kids call them "chipychangas". Try with left over choizo, just sliced it up and used a store bought salsa with mozza or jack cheese. The good news is you can do them in a toaster oven if you want. Kids love to make their own. Recently, mango peach salsa has been the favorite with leftover chicken chunks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have that rack and it is nice. It does have some limitations, but is adjustable. I mainly use mine when I cook pulled chicken because I can cook a lot of chicken at once. Having seen the other adjustable racks out there, I would suggest you get one of those.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • henapple
    The one from BGE