Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone cook goat?

Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a guy who is going to take a few goats to the Amish butcher. Never having had goat before, but loving every other type of meat I have had, I took him up on the offer of half a goat. I can get it butchered any way I want. The question is, how do I want it cut? How do I cook it? I would think I can get it cut like a lamb - get a leg, some chops and a roast or two, then some ground up. Thoughts?

And how do you cook it? Like lamb? same methods and temps?

Any input would be appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have not cooked it, but I have had young goat cooked over charcoal by a Lebanese neighbor of mine and it was very good.  I have also had and enjoyed Cabrito, the Mexican version of a young goat dish.  My guess is that with goat, the younger the animal the better.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I've cooked it over an open fire on spits and eaten a ton of it but, no experience on a modern cooking method. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • We did one on a spit over a fire this summer and it was good.  My kids thought if was lamb (the goat was young) and loved it (they are young).  Enjoy, I'm sure it will be good.

Cheers

• I had goat in Bonaire last November and it was outstanding. Not sure what kind of rub was on it but it was slow cooked and served with a peanut butter sauce. Very good.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    We were talking about this last week, had this bookmarked, 
    If you have an XXXL, you could spatchcock it.....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Soak in buttermilk for couple of days and cover, no, slather in bacon fat cook on a spite over a open mesquite pit.  Have lots of corn tortillas, chiles and other condiments good cold beer and just enjoy yourself.  
    BTW you will either like goat or hate it. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BOWHUNR said:
    I have not cooked it, but I have had young goat cooked over charcoal by a Lebanese neighbor of mine and it was very good.  I have also had and enjoyed Cabrito, the Mexican version of a young goat dish.  My guess is that with goat, the younger the animal the better.

Mike
    You are correct.  Young goat and mature goat is totally a different taste.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Sea2Ski said:
    I have a guy who is going to take a few goats to the Amish butcher. Never having had goat before, but loving every other type of meat I have had, I took him up on the offer of half a goat. I can get it butchered any way I want. The question is, how do I want it cut? How do I cook it? I would think I can get it cut like a lamb - get a leg, some chops and a roast or two, then some ground up. Thoughts?

And how do you cook it? Like lamb? same methods and temps?

Any input would be appreciated.
    I do a lot of indian cooking on the egg. Goat vindaloo or rogan josh is amazing if you like those flavours. Use the shoulder cuts.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    any one know where i can get fresh cabrito in dallas?
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    jrf316 said:
    any one know where i can get fresh cabrito in dallas?
    Pappasito's Cantina worked for me in Dallas and Austin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@jrf316 - there used to be a place on Plano Road and Buckingham in Garland. Probably the Michocana's might have them, or Fiesta, but I don't know for sure.

The best goat I ever had was a goat in a green curry sauce in Jamaica while sitting on the beach....would love to have that recipe.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven

Grif,

Jamaican curry is great on the egg. You need Jamaican curry powder, it's totally different than Indian.

http://www.jamaicans.com/cooking/meat/currygo.shtml

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    ive checked Michocana and fiesta; both were no go's.
    when i get these cravings i wish i was back in the RGV.
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    halil meat shops carry goat and lamb, should be a few down there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • You will not see the types of cuts you are familiar with when you have goat.  Young goats are very tender and there is not a lot of meat there.  They cook fast and some dishes are best made cooked in some sort of liquid.  Salt, pepper and garlic is all you need.  We get them about a week after they are off their mother's milk.  They dress out at 16-22 lbs. Goat is a traditional meal for Easter in Italy.  It is called capretto.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Yeah....it was in a halil meat shot. I rember now. I went in looking for lamb. Was years ago, but they had goat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Any Indian market will have it as well. Even Italian groceries carry it here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    I roasted two young goat thighs last August. Here's my recipe:

I marinated the thighs (about 2.5 lbs. each, from an organic farm) for about 2 hours in 1/2 cup lime juice, a bottle of white wine, a couple cloves of garlic and some olive oil. I used a hand blender to mix that up. Next I injected the roasts with the marinade. One got Trader Joe's smoked pepper rub and the other got some cheapie Astor curry powder rubbed on it. They hit 165 at about the 3 hour mark (using a plate setter). At that point I loosely foiled them. They hit 185 at the 4 hour mark. At that point I shut the egg down. It had been holding steady at about 275-300 the whole time. An hour later it was down to 200 and I put the roasts in a cooler, around 5 PM, after I had put another layer of foil around each. Took them out about 7:30. They were fantastic. Moist, tender and tasted more like lamb, maybe a little stronger. I personally preferred the one with the curry powder, but both were completely consumed.

I put a little pork fat on them at the 2 and 3 hour mark, the latter being just before I foiled them. To do this traditionally you'd need to use a dutch oven in a stove at the same temp, putting the lid on at the 3 hour mark. You probably wouldn't need the fat as you could baste the roast with the drippings that will form. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    lots of good input here. Thank you everyone! I think I will get a few roasts, and do it slow, and chops.
    I guess I will try it a few ways and see what happens.   Thanks again!

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    edited October 2012
    delivery to a halil meat shop
    :D
    guy got angry when i clicked the pic
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Goats head soup mon! Stones liked it :D