Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Travis method

Comments

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Animal House!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • r270ba said:

HDmstng said:

Wow when I. Started this discussion I just wanted to thank Travis for a recipe he posted for Brisket that looked like it would be fun to cook and it was and turned out great. Sorry it turned into this I will make sure I do not thank anyone else for the helpful hints and recipes that I find here. Travis great recipe thanks again

This isn't your fault BBQBeerman!  Usually lots of good discussions going on, just some people seem to get out of hand.
    +1. Thanks for sharing. I am gonna try the Travis method because of this post!

Amen. I'm really sorry dude. I was just tying to get that guy to zip it, but man, did it go south quick. Had no idea that a pox would be wished upon others and their loved ones. Internet is a funny place but we are glad you are here. Sometimes it's laugh or cry.....I always laugh and move on. Hope you can too. It's only meat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Wow when I. Started this discussion I just wanted to thank Travis for a recipe he posted for Brisket that looked like it would be fun to cook and it was and turned out great. Sorry it turned into this I will make sure I do not thank anyone else for the helpful hints and recipes that I find here. Travis great recipe thanks again
    This isn't your fault BBQBeerman!  Usually lots of good discussions going on, just some people seem to get out of hand.
    +1. Thanks for sharing. I am gonna try the Travis method because of this post!
    Amen. I'm really sorry dude. I was just tying to get that guy to zip it, but man, did it go south quick. Had no idea that a pox would be wished upon others and their loved ones. Internet is a funny place but we are glad you are here. Sometimes it's laugh or cry.....I always laugh and move on. Hope you can too. It's only meat.
    :) I wasn't really that offended by anything that was said.  I am not sure if this should be 'family friendly' or not (it is a BBQ website after all) but I do want it to be enjoyable.  I hope I didn't offend anyone by putting in my $.02.  I love this site and find myself, against my own will, coming back to it too many times in the day!

I really do thank all you guys for your help and what you bring to this forum.  If it weren't for you this place would just suck :))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• No harm to me it just kind of took a crazy turn some people do not want other people to get any credit who cares who posted something first or if it a repost it's nice to pick up my phone and be able to get great recipes and first class help on cooks.
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    No harm to me it just kind of took a crazy turn some people do not want other people to get any credit who cares who posted something first or if it a repost it's nice to pick up my phone and be able to get great recipes and first class help on cooks.
    I will second that.  It is pretty incredible.  I am sure that BBQ Brethren is the same.  I am drawn to this site because it is pretty much dedicated to the Egg...maybe that is cool or maybe it is lame in some BBQ'ers eyes but for me it is what I have and it works!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    ...BTW- Travis never called himself the king of anything it was another forum member. Like that guy that called you the king of the DBags......oh wait, that was me, just now.
    My favorite line in this movie.   :D

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ...BTW- Travis never called himself the king of anything it was another forum member. Like that guy that called you the king of the DBags......oh wait, that was me, just now.
    My favorite line in this movie.   :D
    What was the movie?  Sounds like something I could relate to.   :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I just meant as I was reading this I felt as though I was watching a funny movie...and that line from Cen-Tex was an instant classic ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I just meant as I was reading this I felt as though I was watching a funny movie...and that line from Cen-Tex was an instant classic ;)

Try not to give Cen-Tex too much praise. Goes right to his head if you know what I mean

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I just meant as I was reading this I felt as though I was watching a funny movie...and that line from Cen-Tex was an instant classic ;)

Try not to give Cen-Tex too much praise. Goes right to his head if you know what I mean

Let the man talk, Steven. Sheesh.
  • Little Steven
    Well, it was pretty funny. I think I've seen it in a movie but till I can remember you have a hall pass.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I think Little Steven and Cen-Tex should get a room.  Things will be much better in the morning.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I think Little Steven and Cen-Tex should get a room.  Things will be much better in the morning.  

It is a little chilly in Chicago today. Could use some light snuggling
  • I dunno.  They might start arguing over who gets to cook the other one breakfast in bed and then it's game on!  Uh-oh!  Was that too risque?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    We are secret lovers. Sorry man I know you didn't want that out yet

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• We are secret lovers. Sorry man I know you didn't want that out yet

:x
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2012
    cazzy said:
    I know I'm late to the party, but it sure was a fun read! For the record, I don't think some of the users should get banned. There are many folks who contribute quite a bit to this forum. @chrisnjenn, example or not...if these guys go per your request...this forum will be mud. It's these guys that answer folks in the middle of the night for a brisket emergency, not eggerinLA whoever the heck that is. I ain't nobody, but I'm done with this place if we lose members that make this forum what it is. Famous movie line you know you know. "Who's coming with me?" :-h

Maybe not banned, but warned. There is no place for that language, self policing or not. There is a right way to do it without the language. Juveniles talk that way, not mature adults. I have been on different forums for years. For every member who contributes heavily and leaves, another takes their place. Members come and go and forums keep on trucking.
  • Little Steven

chrisnjenn

How do you feel about Cen-Tex and me in love?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zick
    ok....enough of this conversation.  Someone just needs to blow up this thread.  I called Travis the King as part of being friendly (althoiugh the brisket did kick ass).  He never called himself that.  It got out of hand.  We are all in agreement.  Can we just start talking about food again.  I am unsubcribing  fron this particular post and will start a new one to discuss what was great about the brisket and a challenge that I had.  Can we all buy into this?
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    cazzy said:
    I know I'm late to the party, but it sure was a fun read! For the record, I don't think some of the users should get banned. There are many folks who contribute quite a bit to this forum. @chrisnjenn, example or not...if these guys go per your request...this forum will be mud. It's these guys that answer folks in the middle of the night for a brisket emergency, not eggerinLA whoever the heck that is. I ain't nobody, but I'm done with this place if we lose members that make this forum what it is. Famous movie line you know you know. "Who's coming with me?" :-h

Maybe not banned, but warned. There is no place for that language, self policing or not. There is a right way to do it without the language. Juveniles talk that way, not mature adults. I have been on different forums for years. For every member who contributes heavily and leaves, another takes their place. Members come and go and forums keep on trucking.
    I disagree.  You believe in churn and burn.  I have learned tones from these people.  Let's keep the talent.
    Luv you guys.
  • Dear chrisnjenn:

Perhaps if that troll wished your family to die an antagonizing death that you might re-think your position.  What that troll said is, what's the technical term, oh yeah, crazy!  I'm sorry you got offended.  I did not use any language stronger than PG.

As far as the juvenile stuff goes, I'm sorry you get offended.  You know, why do you willingly give people the power to offend you so easily?  Many people find that blowing off a little steam during their downtime is relaxing and therapeudic.  I'm afraid that a BBQ forum in which butts, breasts and spatchcock are common terms used by people having a beer in their hand will get a little juvenile from time to time.  Scolding us juveniles like a mother wagging her finger and tisk tisking only adds to the behavior you loath.

Sorry!

Fred

Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    What the heck is an antagonising death? I like the cut of your jib sir!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zick

So let me tell you about the brisket...It came  Super flavorful extremely moist and everyone was raving about how grewat it came out.  I did though have a couple of things that I would have liked to see better but let me first say what I did.

I started with a very nice 10 1/5 lb. brisket.  I used the marinade by Allegro (Hot and spicy)  A red Stripe Lager (had in fridge) and a Large red onion.  Cooked at 300 for 15 hours and it was perfectly tender to the probe.

Challenges:

1) No noticable smoke ring (plenty of smoke flavor though)  6 nice chunks of hickory

2) Didn't slice well.  It was actually falling apart to easily.  I did use two bottles of the marinde and a full beer.  Travis reccomends one bottle.  Could it be that I had to much liquid in the pan?

Back to the food.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Zick said:

So let me tell you about the brisket...It came  Super flavorful extremely moist and everyone was raving about how grewat it came out.  I did though have a couple of things that I would have liked to see better but let me first say what I did.

I started with a very nice 10 1/5 lb. brisket.  I used the marinade by Allegro (Hot and spicy)  A red Stripe Lager (had in fridge) and a Large red onion.  Cooked at 300 for 15 hours and it was perfectly tender to the probe.

Challenges:

1) No noticable smoke ring (plenty of smoke flavor though)  6 nice chunks of hickory

2) Didn't slice well.  It was actually falling apart to easily.  I did use two bottles of the marinde and a full beer.  Travis reccomends one bottle.  Could it be that I had to much liquid in the pan?

Back to the food.

The smoke ring is hit or miss with me. I have tried every method under the sun and it's still elusive. 

It fell apart from over cooking. There is a fine line between having a juicy tender brisket and having pulled beef. Practice will solve that. (psssssss, the "overcooked" falling apart brisket tastes better and lends its self to sammies better)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012

Dear chrisnjenn:

Perhaps if that troll wished your family to die an antagonizing death that you might re-think your position.  What that troll said is, what's the technical term, oh yeah, crazy!  I'm sorry you got offended.  I did not use any language stronger than PG.

As far as the juvenile stuff goes, I'm sorry you get offended.  You know, why do you willingly give people the power to offend you so easily?  Many people find that blowing off a little steam during their downtime is relaxing and therapeudic.  I'm afraid that a BBQ forum in which butts, breasts and spatchcock are common terms used by people having a beer in their hand will get a little juvenile from time to time.  Scolding us juveniles like a mother wagging her finger and tisk tisking only adds to the behavior you loath.

Sorry!

Fred

Fred, sometimes you have to take the high road.  Don't stoop to their level.

Several years ago, when I first lurked on the "Original" forum, several cowardly eggers would be afraid to post their opinion with their handle and use monikers to disguise their identity.  It got so bad, the moderator had to eliminate guest IDs, and the nonsense decreased.  

Many years before that, I cut my teeth at TVWBB, and Chris A runs a tight ship, which I respect.  None of this would be tolerated.

Wish me or my family an antagonizing death, or threaten me, big whoop.  You can find me in East Moline, IL.  I'm in the local phone book.

It isn't a movie line but one of my favs...

You can't fix stupid

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Zick
    I thought we were back to the food. Enough!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2012
    Zick said:

Challenges:

Back to the food.

The smoke ring is hit or miss with me. I have tried every method under the sun and it's still elusive. 

It fell apart from over cooking. There is a fine line between having a juicy tender brisket and having pulled beef. Practice will solve that. (psssssss, the "overcooked" falling apart brisket tastes better and lends its self to sammies better)

I never get a good smoke ring on the egg. I've played around trying to just for fun and very rarely do I ever get a decent one. I read somewhere (I think naked Whiz) that if you throw a few briquettes of kinsford in there it helps. Stike is probably rolling over in his footie PJ's over this :)). Oh well, it sure tastes good though.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I gotta line that I try not to cross. And that line is don't be hurtful.  Yeah, trolls suck.  Pitchfork and torch wielding righteous witch burners aren't any better.  I just wanna eat some good food.
    Bravo! ^:)^

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012
    Zick said:
    I thought we were back to the food.

Zick,

I too, have had challenges with smoke ring and the egg.  Always achieved more ring with the WSM.  This is clearly a hypothesis, but may be due to airflow.  I've done the take the brisket out of the fridge directly to the pit trick on both to increase time in the <140 smoke ring formation stage. 

Braising does impact texture and bark.  Same with the high heat method, foiling during the cook. 

My preferred method is old school indirect.  Burnt ends are my favorite dish, hands down.     

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."