Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs - 2nd attempt

Options
jimreed777
jimreed777 Posts: 324
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I under cooked my ribs last time around on my first try. Then I doubled-down on failure by saucing waaaay to early.

This time I am going: 
250 indirect dome for 4 hours bones down flat on grate
Start spraying with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice with some cayenne at hour 3 until ribs pass the bend test

Once the ribs pass the bend test, I am going to crank to 300, sauce and then pull after 25-30 minutes.

Sound like a plan?

My setup:

Ribs going on at noon:

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sounds good. The spraying never did much for me except wash away the rub. One problem though...you can never go to Decora switches with that setup :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jimreed777
    Options
    BTW - I went with yellow mustard and Oakridge BBQ competition beef and pork rub. We'll see.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Once the ribs pass the bend test, they are done. Have some pre-heated the sauce, and brush some on for 10 - 15 without raising the temperature for a glaze, if that is what you like..
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Sounds good. The spraying never did much for me except wash away the rub. 
    FWIW, some time ago I came across a mention of a second rub application. Kind of like a second spice dump for chili. I've had good results  when I carefully brush on mop during the last half, then about 45 before the serving, add more rub w. an extra dose of sugar.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Thanks,

I'll give that a try next time I do ribs.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jimreed777
    Options
    Sounds good. The spraying never did much for me except wash away the rub. One problem though...you can never go to Decora switches with that setup :((
    ok - had to google that and still kinda dont get it... :)
  • jimreed777
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Once the ribs pass the bend test, they are done. Have some pre-heated the sauce, and brush some on for 10 - 15 without raising the temperature for a glaze, if that is what you like..
    10-4 - I will try that, thanks

• Little Steven
    Options
    The part about the Decora switches? They are the rectangular ones that use the same covers for plugs and switches. They are bigger than the toggle style switches you have so you could not screw the mounting plate in the cover holes. Kinda electricians humour....in fact not very funny at all. I will go sit in the back now and try not to disrupt the class again. Sorry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jimreed777
    Options
    The part about the Decora switches? They are the rectangular ones that use the same covers for plugs and switches. They are bigger than the toggle style switches you have so you could not screw the mounting plate in the cover holes. Kinda electricians humour....in fact not very funny at all. I will go sit in the back now and try not to disrupt the class again. Sorry.
    ic - LOL

I have cheap wall switches. Not just in the garage...but everywhere.

I do, however, have dozens of dimmer switches on just about every light. I have stocked up incandencents so I don't lose the ability to dim with those horrible snow cone mercury CFLs.
  • Little Steven
    Options

I had a house fire and ended up putting in about 250 pot lights (can lights?). All low voltage halogen. I can melt the snow off the roof.

Don't like the CF's and the LED are still aways away from having decent colour but I think that will happen.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    gdenby said:
    This is my method as well, either from @gdenby or someone else on this forum. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Little Steven , I thought your comment about the decora switches were funny as heck, ( being I am an electrician) . :) I bet those can lights are a good source of heat in the winter. @-)
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • jimreed777
    Options
    ribs still at 170.
    Hoping to eat before 7 pm.
    Pulled ribs, wrapped in foil, put them back in and stuck the probe through the foil.

I will yank them when they hit 200 and sauce to taste.

Note to self...start cooking ribs at 10am next time.  
    [-(
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Kosko said:
    Little Steven , I thought your comment about the decora switches were funny as heck, ( being I am an electrician) . :) I bet those can lights are a good source of heat in the winter. @-)
    Keeps the attic toasty warm in the winter

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    I under cooked my ribs last time around on my first try. Then I doubled-down on failure by saucing waaaay to early.

This time I am going: 
    250 indirect dome for 4 hours bones down flat on grate
    Start spraying with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice with some cayenne at hour 3 until ribs pass the bend test

Once the ribs pass the bend test, I am going to crank to 300, sauce and then pull after 25-30 minutes.

Sound like a plan?

My setup:

Ribs going on at noon:

How do you like your wi-fi cyber Q AND your adjustable rig?
  • jimreed777
    Options
    love both - highly recommended