Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dilemma...No Egg Available for Pulled Pork

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm heading up to the hunting cabin next weekend. I've been asked to make the pulled pork on Saturday. My XL won't travel so well and all that I will have available for the cook is an oven and a weber kettle.

I was thinking I'd smoke the butt on the weber for a few hours then put it in the oven to finish. Your thoughts? What should the settings on the weber look like. I've only ever grilled on a kettle, never did any low and slows.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Use a roasting rack with water and create indirect.  And you cat offset your fire from food.

You'll need an oven thermometer.  Good luck!
    Check out the The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board forum...lots of info for all things weber
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Two suggestions;
    1. Take your Maverick, and if you don't have one make sure you have a grid safe analog thermo. Cook at 250 or so, watch where you put the thermo, kettle heat not as even as an egg. 
    2. On the kettle, indirect heat, push all the coals to one side and put a drip pan under the shoulder on the cool side. Check the temp often and keep the drip pan wet, rotate the meat to cook evenly. 
    Good idea to move it from the kettle to the oven to finish, after maybe 3 hours, not much smoke getting in after that anyway.

Oven temp at 250 until fork twist is done, or internal close to 200 if you have a thermo.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Use a roasting rack with water and create indirect.  And you cat offset your fire from food.

You'll need an oven thermometer.  Good luck!

+1 You will need the water to keep your butt moist.  If you have a thermometer with a 5" stem, you can stick it in the top vent an inch or two and it becomes your dome thermo.  You have a top vent and a bottom vent just like an egg.  I would try going 50% closed on the bottom vents to start.  Adjust as needed. 

You will need to check on it every 60-90 minutes to keep water in the bath and if you're stuck using briquettes, you'll need to knock the ash off and/or add charcoal and smoking wood.

Good luck!  The Weber ain't no Egg, but it's not a piece of crap either.

Flint, Michigan
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips. Sounds like I was on the right track. I'll definitely be taking my maverick. I wonder if the egg thermometer would work as a dome thermometer in the weber. I don't see why not. I was planning on indirect, but good call on the water pan.

Would you guys foil it to finish it in the oven?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can upgrade the briquettes to lump too.
    Thanks for all of the tips. Sounds like I was on the right track. I'll definitely be taking my maverick. I wonder if the egg thermometer would work as a dome thermometer in the weber. I don't see why not. I was planning on indirect, but good call on the water pan. Would you guys foil it to finish it in the oven?
    I've never foiled and finished in the oven when I cooked on my Weber, but I say go with your gut.  Make sure you keep water in the bath and don't let it dry up.  Oh, don't waste beer in that bath.  I don't think it makes a difference in taste and there's less to enjoy. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I'll definitely be using lump. The butt will ne injected, so between the water pan and injection there should be plenty of moisture.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I'll definitely be using lump. The butt will ne injected, so between the water pan and injection there should be plenty of moisture.
    Yep, it will so!
    Good call to inject. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited October 2012
    Options
  • cookingdude555
    Options

A lot of excellent pork butts have been cooked on a kettle, I think you will do fine.  This is a long thread, but very valuable and worth the read for doing a long cook on a kettle:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9040039023/m/6750042994

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would cook the pork in the egg, foodsaver it, and drop it in boiling water at camp.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

i would cook the pork in the egg, foodsaver it, and drop it in boiling water at camp.

+1

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options

+2
  • ChanningJohnson
    Options
    I actually prefer next day pork butt. Although I think I'm so concerned that everyone is enjoying it that I get overly critical on the day of. 
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I offered to cook the night before and reheated in the crock pot, but the guys said they want to smell it cooking while we work. To me, that is torture, but I'm just a guest so I do what I'm told.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    edited October 2012
    Options
    There is an attachment for the Weber called the "Smokenator" that does pretty good. http://www.smokenator.com
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Sgt93 said:
    There is an attachment for the Weber called the "Smokenator" that does pretty good. http://www.smokenator.com
    As a Smokenator veteran myself, I highly recommend them as a great accessory for the Weber kettle.  They can produce excellent results as long as you are attentive to its needs like refilling the water bath.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options

Check out the BBQ Pit Boys they do a pork but on the kettle and there fun to watch 

:-bd