Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger secrets

jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, you guys who go crazy with the rubs will think I'm nuts. I finally found a way to get a great seared burger that is medium rare. I get my burger from a butcher, so I'm not concerned about cooking it through. I've always been stymied, though, because by the time I get the burger nice and seared, it's medium well. I finally decided: Sugar is the answer! Until now, I've been strictly salt and pepper. 

I made a pretty standard rub with garlic and onion salt, sugar, kosher salt, paprika and a bit of chipolte powder. Sprinkled it fairly lightly on 4 oz. burgers (yes, they're small, but I don't want to get huge). Got the mini to 500 degrees. Three minutes on one side, then flipped front to back and two minutes on the other. Lots of flames while turning. Perfect. Great sear and medium rare. You don't really taste the rub much. 

Of all the cooks, brisket to ribs to pork butt and chicken, I've really been challenged by a great burger. I don't go in much for the fancy rubs because I'm all about the taste of the meat and whatever sauce the guest would like. I'm pleased. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I would say the burger is the worst thing I grill. Chicken, pork, steaks, ribs, vegetables are all successful. I have almost give up on burgers bc of my lack of even a decent burger let alone a great one.
    Boom
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I guess the sugar provides the char and gives the sear you are looking for, at least in my experience anything with sugar in it always browns nicely. 
    This thread was related to pork chops, but I wonder if it would also work for burgers??

Uses anchovy paste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    the rub ive been using on burgers is for babybacks and sold by cabellas, lots of sugar, lighter on the salt. i freeze my burgers for 45 minutes laid out on a plastic cutting board, then cook 450 plus. i dont like thermapens for burgers, i watch the juices start to flow on top, flip, wait for the juices again and done. thermapens ruin burgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm with @fishlessman - I always freeze my burgers first, but usually only 30 minutes. At least I do when I have the time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jlsm
    Why didn't I think of freezing for 30 minutes? I do it with steaks, so this makes great sense. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Freezing...huh.  That's so logical I can't wait to try it.
    jlsm said:
    Why didn't I think of freezing for 30 minutes? I do it with steaks, so this makes great sense. 
    i dont really time them, i just dent them with a finger til they are setting up well. what freezing does is let you leave the burger a little looser and let the exterior cook enough so that they stay together without falling apart. this works really well with things that fall apart when cooking like crab cakes, scallop burgers, clam cakes etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I dont freeze them, what i really think makes the difference is the conformation of the burger itself. I like 80/20, sears nicely @750 with some DP cow lick. 2 minutes on one side with lid closed and 2 min other side with lid open and cheese applied on top.
    Medium rare and plenty of juices.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • jlsm
    I like 80/20, sears nicely @750 with some DP cow lick. 2 minutes on one side with lid closed and 2 min other side with lid open and cheese applied on top.

Felipe, 750? That's higher than I want to go for burgers. I don't think I've gone that high for anything on purpose. Flames must be a killer. 
  • That is why i close the lid, no flames, on the second turn some flames come up but that helps the  cheese melt faster. Its more like a Trex sear method.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My butcher grinds filet for burgers. Only a couple dollars more per pound. 2 min, flip 2 min then back on but mine comes off early...rare. I might try the 20 minute rest next time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    How come you never hear about pork burgers?

edited October 2012
    Secret? Fish sauce, sugar, pepper, garlic. Otherwise known as the Umami burger. Great every time.
  • henapple
    I've heard of a chuck/sausage mix...never tried it. Everything is better with pork....everything.
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Ummm. Nope. More specifically bacon. Some parts of the pork aren't better with everything.
  • henapple
    Turnip greens smoked with salt pork on top.

My favorite burgers, which I haven't tried on the egg: 2 thin 5" Patties stuffed with sauteed mushrooms, onions, bacon and feta cheese. Just a dash of allegro right before cooking.
  • FanOfFanboys
    I was telling someone about turtle eggs the other day and they asked if same thing could be done with burger patties. Your post @henapple reminded me of that.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Did everyone see the 100% bacon burger the other day?
    Boom
  • henapple
    I've done a pork explosion. Basket weave 2lbs of bacon, spread sausage on top, fav bbq sauce, ham in the middle. Very rich but good with eggs, home fries, biscuit and gravy.
  • nolaegghead
    Did it look like this? 

Quadruple by-pass on a bun. I like it!
  • nolaegghead
    I'll take a side of angioplasty please!
    That looks like something from "Alien".
  • Grind your own meat.  Put it in the freezer and get it down to about 28 degrees before grinding.  there is no comaparison.  Butcher ground meats are usually at fridge temp when it's ground.  It comes out brown and mushy.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I just made the best burgers ever by following some of the suggestions here. I ground my own meat. 50 - 50 short ribs and chuck roast. Diced and put in the freezer to chill. Ground in the kitchen aide attachment. Formed the patties seasoned with kosher salt and pepper and back into the freezer until the grill was hot. Cooked them on a cast iron grill and they were the best I have ever done. Thank you for all of the great little tips that made them so good. The freeze is helps give you the nice crust on the outside and medium in the middle.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • What does freezing a burger or steak before cooking do? I have never heard of that before.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Last sentence should read: The freezer helps ..........
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • nolaegghead
    Helps it stay together and keeps the inside from overcooking (and lets you cook the outside more).
    @noleegghead I've seen that but this was different. It was literally 100% burger. Guy took bacon thru meat grinder. Pattied up and grilled.
    Boom
  • henapple said:
    Turnip greens smoked with salt pork on top. My favorite burgers, which I haven't tried on the egg: 2 thin 5" Patties stuffed with sauteed mushrooms, onions, bacon and feta cheese. Just a dash of allegro right before cooking.
    I have been making burgers this way for years! This is a solid method, and the juices from whatever you put inside are just extra! Also I take a large amount of hidden valley ranch powder and mix it in the beef. Try it, you won't regret it!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."