Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Checking Temp Tip

Options
miscjames
miscjames Posts: 78
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have been working in my garage a lot lately. And I came up with this little trick. For the dome Temp gauge I took the clamp off the back. And then what I do is spin the gauge so that my desired temp is at the 12 o’clock position. So if I want 350 I spine the gauge around so that 350 is exactly at the 12 o’clock position according to my egg. Then I can quickly glance over and make sure the egg is at the right temp, without having to walk over to it. This also helps when it’s raining as I can just look from the door and see what my egg is doing.

Leaving the clamp off also makes it easy to remove that gauge and clean the stem as well which I feel helps with the reading.

I hope this helps someone… 

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Hey, this is fantastic. Thanks! I have to look from my kitchen door into the backyard and this is a great tip. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Desired temp straight up is the only way to go, but I found that I had to leave the clip on but loose. When I took it off opening and closing the lid would spin h thermometer.
    George
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I put the clip on the outside of the dome with desired temp. at 12 o'clock. This way I can get stuff higher in the dome without the probe toughing.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great idea, never thought of doing this. Dealer told me to always keep the set screw in the daisy wheel to the front so that once you get the air flow just right, you don't mess it up when you raise the dome. Similar principle in keeping a set easy to check allignment, great idea, thanks for sharing it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!