Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Central Market Mesquite Lump Charcoal

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was out of WGC and needed some lump in a hurry. I went to HEB and picked up some of the CM lump. Very big peices and seemed to burn well. $13 for a 20 # bag too.

Very impressed. I think one of our Texas members said the same. I think it was Travis.

Just letting ya know in case you ever need some emergency lump.
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    It's almost the only kind I use. It's cheap, it's good, it works, and I don't have to make a special trip.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Im sold on this Lump its cheap and burns well. To be honest I like it better than Royal Oak. The new one I have been getting it the 365 stuff at Whole Foods. It lights very fast and burns great.

Whole Foods 1 mile south from my house and Central Market 1 Mile east, so I get torn between the two sometimes.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    TUTTLE871 said:

Whole Foods 1 mile south from my house and Central Market 1 Mile east, so I get torn between the two sometimes.

Both are horribly overpriced.  I seldom go to either.  My favs are:

HEB
    Ranch 99 (Asian)
    Costco (especially for meat)
    J&J Fish Market (for shrimp)
    Trader Joe's (for wine)
    Various ethnic stores (Indian, Italian, Mexican, Japanese, etc.)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TUTTLE871

I do go to Sams for meat (Its Close).

And Jimmys (Local Italian Joint).

No Trader Joes yet and it will be a zoo when it opens so I think I will stay away. Im spoiled on my wine (A Friend of mine owns a Wine shop).

I need to research some more on some ethnic stores.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195

I buy a mesquite from Abertson Groc. store here in So. Cal. the brand is Sonora about $ 5.00 for a15 lb. bag

• cazzy said:
    I was out of WGC and needed some lump in a hurry. I went to HEB and picked up some of the CM lump. Very big peices and seemed to burn well. $13 for a 20 # bag too. Very impressed. I think one of our Texas members said the same. I think it was Travis. Just letting ya know in case you ever need some emergency lump.

It's good. Used it for years before I found Best of The West at Sams. That was great for a few years but it really got dicey the last few times I tried to buy it. Caz- HEB also sells Central market mesquite charcoal so you can get it anywhere here in centex. I would use it again without hesitation but I'm on an Ozark Oak Kick right now
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    TUTTLE871 said:

Im spoiled on my wine (A Friend of mine owns a Wine shop).

Costco for meat.  Nothing beats their beef tenderloin.  Jimmy's is off the charts remarkable.  You feel like you just stepped into a European (Italian) market.  Wine = Harris?
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • travisstrick
    Sometimes it goes on sale for $10.99 per 20lbs. It's a super deal at that price.
  • TUTTLE871
    DonWW said:
    TUTTLE871 said:

Im spoiled on my wine (A Friend of mine owns a Wine shop).

Costco for meat.  Nothing beats their beef tenderloin.  Jimmy's is off the charts remarkable.  You feel like you just stepped into a European (Italian) market.  Wine = Harris?
    I Love Jimmys, They got great wine tastings. A frined of mine owns Wine Therapist. Off Skillman and Live Oak.
    I need to check out Costco sometime soon.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271

Mesquite Lump Charcoal

Does this wood give mesquite taste?
    Do you still add wood for smoke?
    Thanks
  • travisstrick
    No and yes. I can't tell a difference between this lump and RO.