Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm in mourning....

gatorBGE
gatorBGE Posts: 81
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife has started a diet (and wants me to join her)  which limits menu to 3.5 oz of chicken, lean beef or fish and leafy greens.  She's been on for a week, I finally got to cook a filet tonight but otherwise for the next 5 weeks or so I don't foresee much egg usage, AND she'll be on during Eggtoberfest.....OUCH!
Large Egg October 2011
MiniMax December 2014

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You best use the egg. If only getting limited protein you want it good. Egg=Good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I know, I'm trying to come up with ideas.....but I have a beautiful 10# butt in the freezer that I was holding for later in football season....
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • Geez, when I read the title, I thought you broke your egg. I said to myself "what could be worse than that?" and then I opened your note. This is MUCH worse than breaking your egg!!! Good luck.

Maybe you need to have some parties. Does she like parties? Then you would have to cook some real meat.
    LBGE
  • grilled veg is way better than steamed or blanched. Comon man, get with the program! You think chicken tastes better from the oven?????
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Smoked turkey breast has more protein and less fat then chicken. Wife and I are doing insanity and I smoke 4 whole chickens or 2 whole turkey breasts each week. Perfect for lunch or dinner. A lean butt, relatively speaking of course isn't the worst thing in the world. .
  • sporktaor said:
    Smoked turkey breast has more protein and less fat then chicken. Wife and I are doing insanity and I smoke 4 whole chickens or 2 whole turkey breasts each week. Perfect for lunch or dinner. A lean butt, relatively speaking of course isn't the worst thing in the world. .

Turkey Breast (whether it is smoked or not) has a very similar nutritional profile to chicken. They are both very good choices for lean protein.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I cook bone in skin on chicken breasts every weekend and pull it for my weeks lunch. Chicken from the egg is amazing
  • Wok baby wok!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I hear where you're coming from! I had gastric bypass surgery (six months ago today, actually), and can barely get in 4oz of food at a time. Because of this, my focus has to be on eating lean protein, and with whatever room my little pouch of a stomach has left, veggies.

I think you'll find the egged food works well with trying to eat better. At least when egging, if you're being limited on the quantity of food you can eat, you can make up for it with quality.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • I know guys, just thinking about missing the following;
    pulled pork
    ribs
    steaks (aside from very lean cuts)
    brisket
    spatchcock chicken
    bacon wrapped scallops
    abt's
    etc
    etc
    etc
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • Moderation is the key. We eat healthy all week, still use the egg, then on the weekends we eat those higher fat cuts. I have had tons of success. Last year I did p90x and dropped 26 lbs. I've kept most of the weight off by treating myself on the weekends. It gives me something to look forward to.

Oh, and try a skinless spatchcock chicken. You won't go back. They are delicious.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    WHAT !!!! No beer???? :((

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Branch out from the regular rubs for great variety. Do try boneless chicken with a fancy marinade; Steve Raichlen has a few great ones in Planet Barbecue. I make two breasts or four thighs at a time for lunches, and they reheat great. I love the skin but don't really miss it when I cook on the egg. And a second for smoked turkey breast. Put a pan of chicken broth under it and you'll have a fantastic smoked stock for a great broccoli soup or smokey beans without the bacon. Try to find really lean sirloin and watch your portion. Leftovers are fantastic the next night in a salad with plenty of veggies plus a few croutons. 

I can't figure out how folks cook all this fatty meat and not weigh 300 pounds! I've had my Egg for more than a year and I've done only two butt cooks, one for a party. I have to admit, though, I am partial to ribs and cook those every six weeks or so. But the vast, vast majority of my cooks are in the "healthy" category. I even fire up the Egg for just vegetables once in a while.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Some of us do weigh 300 lbs + :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • Any kind of white fish with a little DP "Shakin' The Tree " strait on the grill finish with a squeeze of lemon healthy and and best of all quite tasty 
    :D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    double said:

Some of us do weigh 300 lbs + :-)

Heading there
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Different people have different body chemistries, but I have lost 25 lbs since Easter and I eat mostly meats, eggs, and cheeses, including plenty of foods prepared on my BGE. This is basically my own take on the famous Atkins Diet. It does include some fresh fruits and vegetables, but it is mainly a high protein diet.

The major no-nos on my diet are sugar and breads (including bread-like foods such as cake, pasta, etc).

Many women do not want to try diets like this, but I am certain that many other women have success with them.

Tim
  • Moderation is the key.
    +1
    Reading this post while eating a salmon (cedar plank cooked during the weekend)
    salad with light ceasar dressing.  Doesn't feel like a diet to me.  I usually make enough of some lean meat to use in salads during the week.   Also make sure to treat myself to something during the weekend.  Usually my take on something I've seen posted here.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Fish, shrimp, seafood, pork tenderloin. All can be great, flavorful cooks and healthy for you when you get tired of chicken and turkey. Nothing wrong with splurging every once in awhile, like once a week.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Some of the best things I've ever eaten off my egg were halibut and Sea Bass. Fish is amazing on the egg