Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tired of replacing gaskets.....

jimreed777
jimreed777 Posts: 324
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have now been through three of these things:

Lasts for as long as it takes for me to fire up the next pizza cook.

I make my pie at between 600 and 650.

Please, Please someone post some links for where I can buy this Magical Rutland and Permatex combo. That is assuming...it will not burn anywhere under 700 degrees?????????????

I am tired of paying $35 for a new gasket every time I cook pizza.

Comments

• Nevermind...

For those who may be searching in the future:

If I bunch the heck out of this thing, will I have enough for the large including the lip of the stovetop?
  • That stinks to hear because I just ordered a nomex gasket. Some like Rutland, some like nomex so I went with the nomex. Hope I have better luck with it.
  • While I am talking to myself...any reason not to just buy this Rutland without the included gasket maker?

• That is bizarre that you lose a gasket on every cook.  I have had the nomex (hi-que) replacement on for over 10 pizza cooks, and it is holding up great. One thing I do based on the recommendation from this forum is to use the plate setter legs up, with the grid on top.  Pizza stone goes on grid.  I think it reduces the amount of flames that hit the gasket as opposed to the plate setter legs down.
  • i've had my nomex on for probably 5 months. I've done 3 2 hour long 600+ pizza cooks, and 2 clean burns @ 800+. Only part of the gasket that's missing is where I had a slight underbite. Tightened up the dome a lil on my last clean burn, and when it cooled it was perfectly aligned. If it ever fails again, i'll probably do the rutland. But honestly, if BGE will send me another free nomex, i might as well just do it again.
  • tgkleman said:
    That is bizarre that you lose a gasket on every cook.  I have had the nomex (hi-que) replacement on for over 10 pizza cooks, and it is holding up great. One thing I do based on the recommendation from this forum is to use the plate setter legs up, with the grid on top.  Pizza stone goes on grid.  I think it reduces the amount of flames that hit the gasket as opposed to the plate setter legs down.
    okay...I use legs down...1/2 spacers and then stone on that. I suck.

reading is fundamental. I guess I didn't read so good.

I simply saw some pictures some months back with the setup I am now using. Maybe that sick bastard was going commando?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Another thought. Don't replace gasket. Works just fine without a gasket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Another thought. Don't replace gasket. Works just fine without a gasket.
    another couple years...I will have my low and slo egg with a gasket and my pizza and searing and baking egg with NO gasket.

For now, I am gonna replace it...but I like your suggestion.
  • I ran without a gasket for a while.  the only difference i saw was that with the daisy wheel opened, it ran about 75-100* hotter than it did with the gasket.  So i just adjusted accordingly.  I did put on a new gasket just out of fear that i would slam the lid and chip the top or base!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• You need to make sure you have the right Rutland gasket. There's rope (round) and tape (flat). The one you want is the flat version. The part numbers are #90 for the kit (5/8" x 84"), and #720 for the bulk spool (5/8" x 157').
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • That bulk spool would be great if I had five xls....  :)
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    You have three choices.

1.  Go with a Rutland/Ultra Copper combo

2.  Go gasketless

3.  Keep replacing the felt and Nomex crap that BGE and Hi-Que sells

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My nomex has held up fine after many pizza cooks.   Just don't let the egg go over 800, keep the plate setter legs up and it should last for years.

I am gonna go Rutland this time and see how it goes..much cheaper. $14 vs $34 shipped to my door.
  • Make sure you use the Permatex ultra copper adhesive....DON'T use the black Rutland adhesive. It will eventually fail too (it will unstick, the rutland gasket material won't fail.
  • BOWHUNR said:
    You have three choices.

1.  Go with a Rutland/Ultra Copper combo

2.  Go gasketless

3.  Keep replacing the felt and Nomex crap that BGE and Hi-Que sells

Mike
    Generally agree, but there is a fourth choice. Thermeez from Cotronics. The 395 series is self adhesive and is good to 1100. Trouble is, it will cost you about $120 for 150 feet, three 50 foot rolls. That's the smallest amount they sell. 
    If you are on your third Nomex, you have pretty much spent that anyway. I have used Rutland gaskets on my airtight wood stoves, that's what it is designed for and it works. Have never used on the egg near foods, not sure I would, lots of others have - but that's just me. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @skiddymarker
    Is the thermeez food safe? I have the same concerns on the Rutland also. I am on my third gasket now and am looking to upgrade but not sure of the route yet
  • I have ran my Big Green Egg up to 1200 degrees (by accident) and numerous 600 plus degress cooks on that "crappy' High Que Nomex and it looks like it is still new.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Should I keep a spare on hand?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggerinLA said:

I have ran my Big Green Egg up to 1200 degrees (by accident) and numerous 600 plus degress cooks on that "crappy' High Que Nomex and it looks like it is still new.

Please tell me more....

Did you use the white peel and stick version?
    Is the inner lip of the gasket flush with the inner lip of the egg...or do you leave a gap?
    Did you spray anything on the White Nomex after the install?

Do you always have platesetter legs UP when you go high temp?

• It is the white peel and stick version sold by High Que.  Here is their site: http://www.high-que.com/Nomex-Gasket-Adhesive-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004MNW1TE (they also sell a upgrade fire grate specifically designed for the LBGE--awesome upgrade).

I do not leave a gap at all.  The High Que gasket fits perfectly.

No spray.  Just peel and stick.

Depends on what I'm cooking.

• @skiddymarker Is the thermeez food safe? I have the same concerns on the Rutland also. I am on my third gasket now and am looking to upgrade but not sure of the route yet
    @Hangfire77, Check the Naked Whiz site. According to the information there, Rutland specifically does not recommend the use of their products in areas that might come in contact with food. It is not just the fibreglass in the Rutland, it would seem, if I understand it correctly, the other agents present may cause an unsafe around food issue. Cotronics, knows they are being used for ceramic charcoal cookers, but does not specifically approve the use. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ace hardware stores sell the rutland gasket material by the foot. I bought 10 ft for my xl and had about 6" left.

Get permatex at any automotive parts store.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    FWIW, my Nomex is working after numerous cooks, and a clean. However what failed for me was the 3m adhesive. Re-stuck it with Permatex, and no problems. 
    Pizza cooks are done legs up, as I was instructed by in email from the mothership when they sent me the replacement gasket.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tazcrash said:
    FWIW, my Nomex is working after numerous cooks, and a clean. However what failed for me was the 3m adhesive. Re-stuck it with Permatex, and no problems. 
    Pizza cooks are done legs up, as I was instructed by in email from the mothership when they sent me the replacement gasket.
    guess I am the only moron cooking pizza legs down...pfffftttt. dammit. $100 + lesson and quite a few hours of BS. Not to mention the terrible smell from burning gasket :)
  • I read all about the gasket safety stuff. It seems like an at your own risk scenario all around except for BGE gaskets.
  • I cook my pizzas with the PS legs down, then the BGE feet, then the pizza stone. I cook my pizzas between 550-600 degrees. Works perfectly for me and gasket is in great shape.
  • EggerinLA said:
    I cook my pizzas with the PS legs down, then the BGE feet, then the pizza stone. I cook my pizzas between 550-600 degrees. Works perfectly for me and gasket is in great shape.
    +1, legs up or down is not an issue for me in my new MBGE. Could it be the model of BGE? Could it be how quickly you attempt to get to temp? I usually let her roar until 400 or so, then, damp it down until 550 target is approached, slowly. Maybe less flame? 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Only need a gasket if you can't keep your desired low and slow cooking temps......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited September 2012
    I don't do that many pizza cooks, but I switched to legs up don't have any gasket problems.  Three eggs and 4 years of queing and I only replaced one gasket.