Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Night Football Brisket

Options
ravens
ravens Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have heard that smoking a brisket is a journey, so I wanted to share my adventure with you as I prepare a whole packer brisket Texas Style on my XL Big Green Egg for the Sunday Night Football game between the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots on 9/23/2012. Below is a chronology of my journey.

Saturday, September 22, 2012:

10:00 AM – Went to the local Amish market to purchase a fresh whole packer brisket from the butcher. I bought this 10.5 lbs brisket @ $4.69/lb.

7:00 PM – Trim and season the brisket. I trimmed all excess fat, leaving a thin layer of fat for natural protection and moisture.

For seasoning, I’ve had great results with this Szeged Steak Rub Seasoning on rib-eyes so I decided to try it. I like it because this is a coarser grade seasoning with great ingredients.

Once seasoned, I’ve wrapped the brisket in plastic and placed in the fridge.

8:00 PM – Soak chips and prepare Big Green Egg for the long cook. I placed about a cereal bowl full of Mesquite wood chips in water to soak for a few hours.

Next, I cleaned out all previous coal and ash.

11:00 PM – Fire up the egg. I use Cowboy brand natural hardwood lump coal for my cooks. I buy 20 lbs bags, and have filled about 10 lbs worth of coal for this smoke. I love the egg’s feature to kill the burn and reuse to coals later!

11:30 PM - Once the coals were smoldering evenly, I prepared the egg for indirect cooking. I have the BGE plate setter and have set it up with the legs up. Then, I filled a large cookie sheet with warm tap water and placed it on top of the plate setter. This setup serves 3 purposes: drip pan, humidity control, and additional heat sink. Now it’s time to place the brisket into the egg.

12:00 Midnight – The dome temperature has stabilized at 230 (°F). Time for sweet dreams about football, succulent brisket and craft brews.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 – Game day!

10:30 AM – The brisket has been smoking uninterrupted for 11 hours at 230-220 (°F). Morning dome temp show precisely 220 (°F).

I overestimated the duration of the cook. I was expecting a 10.5 lbs brisket to smoke for at least 14 hours at 225 (°F). However, when I took the brisket’s temp at 10:30 AM, it was at 200 (°F), so it had to come off the egg now, way sooner than I anticipated.

Next, I wrapped the brisket in foil with about a cupful of apple juice and wrapped tightly in a towel. However, instead of the usual cooler, I placed the wrapped brisket in to the microwave to rest at room temperature for a few hours and soak in the juice. Warning do not start the microwave J

1:00 PM – Even though it’s not game time yet, I wasn’t going to let a fantastic brisket go to waste. So I decided to slice about a third of the brisket for lunch with my family, cutting against the grain of course.

Against all common sense, I added another half cup of apple juice and wrapped the remaining two thirds of the brisket with foil and towel and placed it back in the Microwave.

5:00 PM – I unwrapped the brisket from the towel and placed it in the fridge.

8:00 PM – I removed the foil from the brisket, sliced it and put it in the microwave for 3 minutes in a covered ceramic dish. I know that this is taboo, but the brisket was even more tender and juicier than when we ate it for lunch, 7 hours ago.

8:30 PM – Game time. Serve juicy brisket with rice pilaf and craft brews to hungry Ravens fans. This was a hit!

12:00 Midnight – Ravens defeat the Patriots 31 to 30 in a nail biter.

Go Ravens! Go Big Green Egg!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks like a fun day of cooking. Good stuff!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks awesome! Always a fun time with food like that and a victory from your team! Good post!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Great post!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Great details! I did the same size brisket Sat night for Sunday supper. here was my method:

10.5 lb packer
    lightly mustard
    rub with Bad Byron butt rub
    wrapped and frig over night
    Grid Temp 215
    I put it on at 10:30 Sat night and I pulled it off at 5 Sunday evening (Yes, 18 hours later on the dot)

I then FTC for one hour. it was the most moist and tender brisket I have ever had. the bark was outstanding. I guess it goes to say that two pieces of meat do not cook the same.

although, I will say that I did not trim the fat down on mine as much as you did yours. I wonder if taking a little more of the fat off made a difference.

anyway, to each its own. Thank for sharing! here is a picture of mine. :) 

Brandon, MS
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks ravens great pic's & post