Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Briskets LBGE - Competition (sorta)

MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends!

This Saturday I'm smoking TWO briskets on my LBGE for a food truck party on Sunday.  I've never done two at once.  They'll both be packer trimmed 15+ pounders....

Since this is for commercial sale and semi-review by the public, I'm more nervous than usual for this cook.

Best way to stack these puppies?  I don't have any after-market "wooesque" racks - just bricks and grids.  I'll be using a Maverick.

I'm conversationally fluent on one at a time.  It's two at once that has me scared..
Thanks for any help!
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• Nobody ever responds to my posts unless I'm controversial. This is how I did 30 plus pounds of brisket. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Ps- I attached and sent this via ios6 and that's new!! :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Yow!!

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Looks great.  I think I am trying brisket next week.  Enjoy, I am sure you will sell out.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Looking good! My lord that's a whole lotta meat!
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Looking good. How did they turn out?
  • That looks amazing, never thought about ding it like that. How did the top one turn out? i'm wondering about that one because you have the probe in the bottom one and it's hotter at the top of the dome than at thr grate.
  • MaskedMarvel
    edited September 2012
    Turned out amazing. I'm shocked. I was expecting more problems.

An x/y axis for the two briskets separated by an upside down v rack on some fire bricks. There was even perfect bark where you'd think they were touching.

The top brisket did get done a little bit more than the bottom but it had much more of a fat cap on it protecting it.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• ingenious. Love it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Great job! How'd the sales go?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Sell out!! Thanks to this forum for all the helpful advice!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Was this for the food truck event downtown? Really wanted to come but had a family reunion today. How was the turn out?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack said:
    Was this for the food truck event downtown? Really wanted to come but had a family reunion today. How was the turn out?
    Spring Garden St.  Literally several thousand people showed up to support food trucks in 
    Greensboro.  Should make for an interesting City Council meeting...

People waited 45 minutes to an hour to eat at their favourite truck. No lie.  Really dedicated.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Wolfpack
    Glad it was a success- city council meetings in g'boro are always interesting- some unique people in that group
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    By the way- where did you get your packer briskets? I haven't been able to find them here...
    Greensboro, NC
  • Are you saying we can post pics straight from an iPhone with the New ios6? No more photobucket links?

Also, looks great. Well done, sir.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Are you saying we can post pics straight from an iPhone with the New ios6? No more photobucket links? Also, looks great. Well done, sir.
    Thank you.  yes correct - no more PB links.  I "enhanced" that last photo on iphoto+ and it looked great on iphone, but looks more metallic here.  Oh well...  if you look closely, you can see where the dome probe JUUUST was a little too long.  That's the most meat I've had in there at once.  SO FAR!
    Wolfpack said:
    By the way- where did you get your packer briskets? I haven't been able to find them here...
    I'm a restaurant guy.  Get them from the distributor.  If you're in Greensboro I think we can do retail food, lemme know.  

Harder to find larger packers here, but I know I've seen them in stores.  The ones I get are 15+ lbs.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nice looking cook. That last pic is good.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Are you saying we can post pics straight from an iPhone with the New ios6? No more photobucket links? Also, looks great. Well done, sir.
    Thank you.  yes correct - no more PB links.  I "enhanced" that last photo on iphoto+ and it looked great on iphone, but looks more metallic here.  Oh well...  if you look closely, you can see where the dome probe JUUUST was a little too long.  That's the most meat I've had in there at once.  SO FAR!
    Wolfpack said:
    I'm a restaurant guy.  Get them from the distributor.  If you're in Greensboro I think we can do retail food, lemme know.  

Harder to find larger packers here, but I know I've seen them in stores.  The ones I get are 15+ lbs.

I had a restaurant and retail meat market and I didn't have to get any special license to sell retail. Hopefully that would be the same for you in your area. That would be awesome if you could help the local eggers get good packer briskets. Which food service do you use? We used Sysco and they had CAB briskets in cases of 6. The regular choice briskets were in cases of 2. Really good quality briskets though. Their CAB steaks were amazing too
  • Afaik we can get any of the above. We don't require a special retail license. I'm just not the food guy. It'd have to be something approved by the restaurant.

The meat either comes from US Foods or Southern Foods. I'll check today.

As long as I'm talking about the restaurant - there's a local Iron Chef style competition going on and we are in the finals. 16 teams from my area participated and Tuesday night is the final. I'm astounded at the quality of the competition. If we win our region then there is a three day state wide competition in October between the four champions. Super cool stuff!! Wish us luck!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Afaik we can get any of the above. We don't require a special retail license. I'm just not the food guy. It'd have to be something approved by the restaurant. The meat either comes from US Foods or Southern Foods. I'll check today. As long as I'm talking about the restaurant - there's a local Iron Chef style competition going on and we are in the finals. 16 teams from my area participated and Tuesday night is the final. I'm astounded at the quality of the competition. If we win our region then there is a three day state wide competition in October between the four champions. Super cool stuff!! Wish us luck!
    US was doing some type of Certified Hereford program when I was there but we were Sysco/CAB guys so I never used any of it. I'm sure their choice briskets are as good as anybody else's
  • Holy cow!!! We can post pics!!!

Nice briskets as well.

XLBGE 
  • MaskedMarvel
    edited September 2012
    And here's what the public got to see. I'm told they sliced to order making the brisket very moist.

I'm pretty proud. I am a displaced San Antonioan who dreams of real Texas brisket from home. You can't get it here. Not even close. Hope the 5000 who showed up (updated figures out today!) have a new control against which all other brisket may be judged!! Ha!

Edit - that read pretty cocky.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• It ain't bragging if its true. Way to represent!