Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First All Nighter Is on Its Way-Pork Butt

Options
pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well here we go, Game on....

First question of the night... have my stoker set at 240 temp control, how open should my daisy wheel be on top???

Here is first round of pics of prep and grill set up, I took the SUPER advice of (someone can't remember, sorry) and set up a water proof container for stoker system and have AR rig set up with indirect at the felt line with a drip pan sitting on balls of tinfoil...

Going to make sure temp stays stabilized for about an hour then meat time is 9:00 sharp...

For the newbies, this forum is AWESOME and all this specific advice came from the fine gent and ladies with SOO much more experience then me to help me get started...
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i have a guru and leave my wheel open just a hair . have a butt going on at 9 also tonight good luck with your cook enjoy 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    I use a stoker and keep the holes in the daisy wheel half open at 250.  No real scientific formula there.  It's just where I kept it at when I didn't have the stoker too.  

Good Luck tonight.  Hope it all goes well.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Thanks, meat is on and DW is half open, have temp set at 246... internal temp is up to 95..

How fast will internal temp typically rise???  I know it varies, but it started at 58 out of the refridgerator less then an hour ago...I know I still have the stall to go..
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks, meat is on and DW is half open, have temp set at 246... internal temp is up to 95..

How fast will internal temp typically rise???  I know it varies, but it started at 58 out of the refridgerator less then an hour ago...I know I still have the stall to go..

get some sleep.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tmuenster
    Options
    Looks like you are off to a great start.  Good luck with the cook! 
  • pileit1971
    Options
    I am SOOO loving this stoker... I haven't been outside once and I swear that I haven't even peaked either.

Holding steady at 243 Degrees and internal temp of 138, jumped real quick in first 2.5 hours from 58 to 135, and now I am on the crawl if not stalling...

Thanks again for ALL the advice.
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Grrrrrr well fire went down to 225 around 3:30 and seems like the stall took forever, I got the fire back up to 270 grid for a couple hours and now I am at 180 Internal...

Have about an hour to go before I have to leave, so I foiled the butts and increased temp back up to around 300 grid..

Bad idea?  I am sure everyone is still asleep, but is it realistic to get to that 195 number in an hour?  I am watching my Maverick waiting for it to increase but the darn thing just went down 2 degrees, how does that happeN????

Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio