Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Maverick

otter
otter Posts: 342
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Finally got one! Have not used it yet. Question: How do you run your probe wires, between top and bottom across the gasket, or fish it out the top daisy wheel?
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• Across the gasket.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Across the gasket.
    What gasket?  Anyway, across the open dome, trying to avoid direct heat as much as possible.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Play with it. Just had an overnight fail by not setting the low pit temp alarm correctly.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I always run it across the gasket, and when using platesetter I run it in so that it is shielded from direct heat by one of the legs of the platesetter.
  • henapple said:
    Play with it. Just had an overnight fail by not setting the low pit temp alarm correctly.
    Although playing with it is always fun, I prefer to advise learn how to use it. It is all a learning curve, I did the same thing as @henapple

FxLynch said:
    I always run it across the gasket, and when using platesetter I run it in so that it is shielded from direct heat by one of the legs of the platesetter.
    This is the second rule, make sure the probe and lead have as little exposure as possible to direct burning lump. 

The third rule is through the gasket. set it and forget it (sounds like a Ronco commercial)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I wrap the leads in al foil. Keeps it clean as well. I take it out over the gasket and set the base on the composite mate.

Make sure you double check your hi and lo settings, pair it and good to go. Hope you got the 732.

Very useful tool.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Also be sure to turn on the alarm after limits are set.  You can sleep all night with a dead fire and not know it til morning.  Please don't ask how I know about this.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • henapple
    If you wrap a butt do you still keep the probe in?
  • By wrap, assume you mean in foil to Texas Crutch it. You want to stop when temp is 190-200 so yes, leave the probe in, wrap around it. I've only seen this at BBQ shows and cook offs, I've never used it. A BBQ guru told a group of us gathered at his smoker to be careful when you stop the crutch, the meat will cool quickly as the moisture evaporates when you open the foil, so I suggest you unwrap to get rid of the juice and rewrap (FTC) or pull and serve quickly. 
    If you meant to FTC it, no, it is done so no probe needed. 
    Some of the experts here will have some better info. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    I didn't mean play with it. Just try different temps with the alarm before you do a night cook so you're sure it's set right.
  • henapple said:
    I didn't mean play with it. Just try different temps with the alarm before you do a night cook so you're sure it's set right.
    Good idea, for us old folks, the little "alarm is on" indicator is hard as hell to see.....
    Another thing is to set the low and high thresholds, IMHO at least 50 degrees from target. 
  • Hey

Wrap the probes in as much foil as you can through where it connects the probe to the wire. Mine just got caught in the rain and even with foil one probe is shot.

Foil helps protect against heat and water is my point lol. I'm drinking tonight gang apologies for being belligerent.

8-D
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Thanks,
    I see in some pics that some folks have tin foiled the probe wires. 
    Is this just to keep them clean or for heat?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Hey Wrap the probes in as much foil as you can through where it connects the probe to the wire. Mine just got caught in the rain and even with foil one probe is shot. Foil helps protect against heat and water is my point lol. I'm drinking tonight gang apologies for being belligerent. 8-D
    Interesting, and I agree with apologetic @MaskedMarvel. The first butt I did with the Mav, target temp 275, low BBQ alarm 250, high BBQ alarm 300 my alarm would go off and the grid temp was reading 390. The probe was in error. It settled itself out. Did it again, two or three times. On the next cook, I had foil wrapped the grid probe - same set up, no issues. I can only assume that steam from the drip pan was rising and getting into the probe cable connection. Wrap and be sure.