Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vitamix v blendtec

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
Anyone one either of these and have an opinion? Looking to buy one soon.
Boom

Comments

• Optiontrader
    Options
    I think the newer Vitamix machines are overrated and surviving on old reputation.  My mother had one when I was a kid and it was a workhorse.  I bought one several years ago and it lasted about a year before it burned up.  I've had a Blendtec for a few years and it is going strong.  Very powerful and takes anything I give it. (Hope this helps.)
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Vitamegavegamin!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    I have had a Vitamix for about 7 years and I love it.  I use it almost everyday for a fruit drink.  Either one would work for the way I use it.
    __________ Chris
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I think both would prolly fit my needs. I'll be mostly making smoothies with kale, beets, whole fruits, etc. I've heard more positive reviews for vitamix owners than blendtec so option trader comment stands out. Tho has a 7 year warranty. Both do.
    Boom
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have the blendtec. It's great. I looked at both for quite a while and honestly, they are very similar as far as performance goes. What swayed me was, I had a 20% off flyer from bed, bath, beyond. Vitamix was not included and blendtec was. It was $80 off with the coupon so it was about $200 less than the VM in the end. We have made at least 2 smoothies a day for a year and we use it for tons of other stuff and we dont nearly put it to the test. Both have super powerful motors and the exact same warranty. Can't go wrong either way but for $200 less, the Blendtec is awesome.

Btw- if you don't have the 20 off flyer from bbb, just sign up for their email offers and you will have one in 30 seconds. You can unsubscribe at any time.

You can't go wrong either way but we love the blendtec.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh yeah, the blendtec fits under kitchen cabinets if you leave it out (we do). The vitamix does not so you have to put it all away. If you use it a lot like we do, that's kind of a pain.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    crmilt said:

I have had a Vitamix for about 7 years and I love it.  I use it almost everyday for a fruit drink.  Either one would work for the way I use it.

Exactly the way i feel. Either will be more than you will ever need. They are both great and normal blenders are a joke compared to either.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    CT, I thought I read somewhere the BT does not separate from the blade. Is that true? I do get those coupons from bed bath beyond. That's a great suggestion. I'm leaning slightly towards vitamix but $100 and certainly $200 would def sway me. I don't doubt either will fully meet my needs. But I need to eat more vegetables and the smoothies is how I plan to do it. I put on almost 25lbs in 12 months. I did a pretty solid time in half marathon a year ago and know I struggle with mile and a half run I did last week. So I figure some healthier eating will lead to better energy. I'm tired all the time even with 8-9 hours of sleep. And next two months I have a schedule that allows me to work out and be stress free. So hoping to get back on track.
    Boom
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options

Cut out carbs and sugar for 2 weeks and eat protein and veggies.  Keep running.

You will be amazed at the difference.  Sugar and processed foods are bad.

__________ Chris
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

CT, I thought I read somewhere the BT does not separate from the blade. Is that true? I do get those coupons from bed bath beyond. That's a great suggestion. I'm leaning slightly towards vitamix but $100 and certainly $200 would def sway me. I don't doubt either will fully meet my needs. But I need to eat more vegetables and the smoothies is how I plan to do it. I put on almost 25lbs in 12 months. I did a pretty solid time in half marathon a year ago and know I struggle with mile and a half run I did last week. So I figure some healthier eating will lead to better energy. I'm tired all the time even with 8-9 hours of sleep. And next two months I have a schedule that allows me to work out and be stress free. So hoping to get back on track.

I got it for the same reason. Smoothie every day before my workout. They both destroy fruit/veggie smoothies so you can't go wrong with either.

You are correct, the blade/pitcher on the BT are all one piece. Never been a concern with me but you may need it for something else.

I was leaning VM too but it was $100 less off the shelf and another $80 with the flyer. No brainer in my book.

Love that the BT fits under my counter too. You may not have that issue but it was important to me so I didn't have to put it away and take it out every day.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    *it fits on my counter, under the cabinets if that makes sense. The vitamix jar is much too tall for that.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited September 2012
    Options
    crmilt said:

I need to do something. I wrestled and ran cross country whole life, including scholarship in college. I wrestled 133 in college and only cut couple lbs. Up until a year ago I still ran competively in races and placed more often than not. Took a month off to rest a couple minor injuries which turned into a year plus now. My diet has become pretty bad by normal standard so gotta get back. Figure this a good way to start. I don't eat out ever or drink anything but water and alcohol. But I think this will help me start back where I was. I'm not a big enough guy to be 168lbs. 145ish is much healthier for my build.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    *it fits on my counter, under the cabinets if that makes sense. The vitamix jar is much too tall for that.

yeah I did read that online. The heigh issue. Not a major concern for me but $180 is a major concern ha. That'll pay for a couple trips to local farmers market.
    Boom
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

crmilt said:

I need to do something. I wrestled and ran cross country whole life, including scholarship in college. I wrestled 133 in college and only cut couple lbs. Up until a year ago I still ran competively in races and placed more often than not. Took a month off to rest a couple minor injuries which turned into a year plus now. My diet has become pretty bad by normal standard so gotta get back. Figure this a good way to start. I don't eat out ever or drink anything but water and alcohol. But I think this will help me start back where I was. I'm not a big enough guy to be 168lbs. 145ish is much healthier for my build.

"and alcohol".......that's what gets me too. I saw a great quote on here a month ago or so. It went something like: i eat pretty well but drink a lot. If I'm going to lose weight, I'm going to have to eat a lot less food" :).

Seriously though, you probably don't drink like me(god help you if you do) but cutting the booze out goes a long way toward getting into shape. That is why I still get winded when I get up to pee at 3:30am every day.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    crmilt said:

"and alcohol".......that's what gets me too. I saw a great quote on here a month ago or so. It went something like: i eat pretty well but drink a lot. If I'm going to lose weight, I'm going to have to eat a lot less food" :). Seriously though, you probably don't drink like me(god help you if you do) but cutting the booze out goes a long way toward getting into shape. That is why I still get winded when I get up to pee at 3:30am every day.

ha I prolly don't. Average week I drink prolly 18 beers. If I have something going on like a cook out or day at lake I may do 18 that day but then rest of week I cut back to balance. I do think cutting back to 6-12 a week would make a difference. My schedule next 8 weeks will help with that. 2nd shift will minimize drinking time.
    Boom
  • lensegg
    Options
    My Vitamix is a workhorse. I use it daily either for green smoothies, sauces, making hot soup, cold ice cream, salsa, etc. I picked up the smaller 32 ounce container during a sale and with this container, which is large enough for most jobs, fits under cabinets. When I need more room, I put on my 64 ounce container. I would recommend it highly.
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    I have a Vitamix and agree it is a workhorse.  However it is not a juicer which I also have.  Smoothies go Vitamix.  Juice, go with a juicer.  I use the juicer far more often.  That's just me.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

crmilt said:

"and alcohol".......that's what gets me too. I saw a great quote on here a month ago or so. It went something like: i eat pretty well but drink a lot. If I'm going to lose weight, I'm going to have to eat a lot less food" :). Seriously though, you probably don't drink like me(god help you if you do) but cutting the booze out goes a long way toward getting into shape. That is why I still get winded when I get up to pee at 3:30am every day.

ha I prolly don't. Average week I drink prolly 18 beers. If I have something going on like a cook out or day at lake I may do 18 that day but then rest of week I cut back to balance. I do think cutting back to 6-12 a week would make a difference. My schedule next 8 weeks will help with that. 2nd shift will minimize drinking time.
    Yeah, I quit drinking during the week for the most part (especially during the school year-kids get up at 6:30). It makes a big difference. Summer though is a while other story. I work at home so sometimes the week and the weekends blend together a little :)

• Vitaman
    Options
    We love our Vitamix. I actually had one that was my Dad's that was about 25 years old and it worked great but my wife didn't like the way it looked so she sold it on Craigslist and bought a new one. I know Vitamix has a trade in policy, so you may contact them to see what they do with the ones traded in.
  • goblueintx
    Options
    Love my Vitamix. If you're a Costco member, they often have them for a good price.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Got my Vitamix at Costco as well.  Love the manual dial of the Vitamix over the buttons on the Blendtec, but prefer the fact that you don't need to use a tamper with the Blendtec due to the way its blade sucks the contents of the blender down.   Either way, you can't go wrong.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    A. Couple of quick questions
    1). From a pure cost perspective has anyone considered the Ninja?  Yes cheap, but who knows if it will hold up.
    2). Fan and Cen, I think you all both live in my neighborhood!  Kids in school, TRY not to drink during the week, but hold on on the weekend. Its the whole social atmosphere of the community i live in.   

Being a fireman, I have to stay in decent shape.  I still have too much belly, but it is a work in progress.  A nutritionist told me that alcohol causes you to retain as much as 20% more carbs.  I personally went to sprite zero and Jim Beam Black to do my part.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I don't live near a Costco, but I have a SAMs Club I belong to. I went to BB&B per CT and I can get a new blendtec for $320. That's huge difference from the lowest vitamix price I can find. I have a 5K coming up Oct 6th. Realistic goal is 24-25 minutes finish time. It's a long way from my sub 19 mins prior but hopefully some healthy eating helps get me there. @smasch I'm slowly switching to vodka tonic. I assume that has less calories than your average Sam Adams brew. @vitaman I tried searching Craigslist for about a week but couldn't find one on sale there.
    Boom
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't live near a Costco, but I have a SAMs Club I belong to. I went to BB&B per CT and I can get a new blendtec for $320. That's huge difference from the lowest vitamix price I can find. I have a 5K coming up Oct 6th. Realistic goal is 24-25 minutes finish time. It's a long way from my sub 19 mins prior but hopefully some healthy eating helps get me there. @smasch I'm slowly switching to vodka tonic. I assume that has less calories than your average Sam Adams brew. @vitaman I tried searching Craigslist for about a week but couldn't find one on sale there.

that's what I payed for mine. They are both great so I went with the deal. i would have paid for the VM had I thought is was significantly better. I saw them as very similar so I saved the cash and went blendtec
  • odie91
    Options
    Vitamix was $394 for me at Costco.  I believe the Blendtec sells for ~$330-340 at time as well.   If you don't see either in stock, Google "Vitamix/Blendtec roadshow", and it should tell you when they will stock them at your local Costco.
  • odie91
    edited September 2012
    Options
    1). From a pure cost perspective has anyone considered the Ninja?  Yes cheap, but who knows if it will hold up.
    Coming from someone who admittedly owns both a BGE and a Big Steel Keg (gasp!!!), I would say this is one instance where I would absolutely NOT buy the generic imitation.  It's just not built well, and the motor WILL burn out if you use it daily.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited September 2012
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Coming from someone who admittedly owns both a BGE and a Big Steel Keg (gasp!!!), I would say this is one instance where I would absolutely NOT buy the generic imitation.  It's just not built well, and the motor WILL burn out if you use it daily.

I looked at the ninja. There are some good comparison videos online of people who bought a few blenders and tested them. The ninja didn't do as well on the smoothies, which is the main reason I bought mine. It wasn't very scientific, but I was leaning VM or BT by that time anyway so I DQ'd the Ninja
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    consumer reports has a blender review.  They rated the Vita-Mix first and a Nija second.  But no Blendtec at all ranked.  I've had a Breville 800 watt for the past 5 years.  Love it, can't imagine needing more power, and it was only $80 on woot (normally $200).
    edited September 2012
    Options
    We have had a vitamix for several years now. Bought it with a 7 year warranty. The customer service is excellent and so are their products. We bought a refurbished one but still had the 7 year warranty. The first one we had had the motor get weak and they replaced it at their cost for shipping. No problems after that. Vitamix has a very strong motor that will pulverize when you need it to.