Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying Turkey

Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys, 
Thinking about trying my first turkey in preparation for Thanksgiving and I'd like to get some advice on how best to proceed. I have an XL BGE with combo accessory kit from ceramic grill store at my disposal. Any advice on direct/indirect? spatchcock or non? Temp? Etc? I'm sure there are some great, reliable recipes out there and would really appreciate any help. 

Cheers -
B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2012
    I have only done a small spatchcock turkey last Thanksgiving.  It was AWESOME. I will be doing another one this year for sure.  image"Uploaded"> I did it 350 - 400 indirect with pecan chunks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Both of the above are great methods...my take on it is Thanksgiving/Christmas-mad max and a turkey cook any other time of the year-spatchcock (or deep fry!)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

Direct at 400 raised works for me Spatchcocked. If I think about it/ have time I like to leave in fridge overnight uncovered. I use a coffee rub and just one handfull of cherry/pecan chips (don't get to much). Also liike the 11/12 lb'ers and takes just over an hour. The third pic is even more raised and worked well also.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I like it smoked with apple chips over indirect 225 deg. But you have to brine the bird the day before. There are lots of brine recipes out there.
  • Just what you need, another suggestion, this works. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    We don't like food much do we?  :)) We are planning for Novembers dinners two months early. Haha.

Turkey is excellent on the egg! You will love it. Be sure to save a breast for samiches. I'd also recommend making turkey stock from the leftover bones too.

Here is a breast with recipe I did recently for cold cuts... I used cherry chunks for smoke.
  • @Brownie, see the best advantage of being Canadian is that we have our Thanksgiving, turkey day, in October, this year it is the 8th - same as Columbus Day. Many Canadians also like to take US Thanksgiving off, watch some football, eat some turkey and pumpkin pie. It has always been my opinion that any country that likes to take two days to make it a four day long weekend deserves our complete support - plus it is a good excuse to have turkey again. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @Skiddymarker - My dry run is actually for a Canadian Thanksgiving with my colleagues, should be awesome.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips and recipes above. I'm thinking of doing a traditional smoked bird and a chipotle spiced spatchcock to have some variety.

One other question that's come to mind: I will need to transport the bird(s) over to a friends house so I'm planning on giving them the FTC treatment. Is this going to ruin the texture of the skin? I thought about asking them to have a hot oven ready for when I get there so I can pop the birds in for a few minutes to crisp the skin back up but I'm not sure that will work without drying them out. Any thoughts on how best to get the skin back to crispy and delicious?

Thanks again everyone, getting very excited about this one...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Sounds really great, I have no experience with FTC on a crispy critter, like a chicken or turkey. Heck, I have trouble getting them from the BGE to the table and keeping it crispy. Let us know how you make out.  
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    @Brownie, see the best advantage of being Canadian is that we have our Thanksgiving, turkey day, in October, this year it is the 8th - same as Columbus Day. Many Canadians also like to take US Thanksgiving off, watch some football, eat some turkey and pumpkin pie. It has always been my opinion that any country that likes to take two days to make it a four day long weekend deserves our complete support - plus it is a good excuse to have turkey again. 
    That's some smart thinking. Maybe I can convince my friends and family to take off the 8th for Canadian Turkey Day!

Who's up for a Monday night Canadian Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania?