Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When buying an egg from Craigslist...

jrog74
jrog74 Posts: 42
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
what should i look for to make sure that i am getting a good used egg? I want to make sure that my first egg is a good one. Thanks. 

Comments

• I would look to make sure that there are no hairline fractures that they are trying to pull over on you. As well you should make sure that you are getting all of your eggcessories. 

here is a parts diagram that may help you so that you dont overlook anything!
  • I bought my large on CL in June.  Look for cracks in the ceramics.  The fire ring, fire box and the Egg itself.  Look at the outside for signs of abuse.  Next thing to check the smell.  If you smell lighter fluid, walk away.  I mean it.  I'm not sure it's possible to decontaminate an Egg that was doused in lighter fluid.  After all that checks out, then you think about money.  My large came with a large table, cover, platesetter, pizza stone, stainless grill, ceramic feet, grid lifter and a couple of other small items for $625.
    Flint, Michigan
  • After checking back in and looking at the parts diagram I have noticed that there is one piece not shown, do not forget about the green ceramic lid that replaces the daisy wheel once you have finished your cook. If they have their egg in a nest or in a table don't forget to ask if they have the ceramic egg feet by any chance, although you may not be using them to stand the egg on you may use them to elevate your drip pan or pizza stone which will reduce the burning on the underside. Good luck!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Cracks

Bands(cost $100 new)

Draft door($40 new)

Had to replace the band on an older egg I found.  Had a yellow lever with a locking hinge.  Bottom draft door was black and not stainless like the newer ones.  More prone to rust.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KingRover-Thanks, that is a great site. 

Thanks to all others for the responses. I am planning on buying a used egg at the Texarkana Eggfest unless I find one on CL before I have to turn my money in. Even after I get my large i know that i am going to want a Med too! 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    I walked away from one last week that I found on CL because of the lighter fluid smell.  Plus it looked like they had used briquettes instead of lump.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    you will want to look at the bottom of the base really carefully for cracks, tip it over and look. cracks usually start at the lower vent in the corner and then disappear underneath, they can be hard to see if your not looking for them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Using briquettes doesn't hurt the egg.
    But if it's matchlight, same issue as using lighter fluid, no?
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • It had better be cheap. I've used several hunderd dollars in warranty on mine (all new insides) and I know several guys on here have had cracked bases/domes as well. I would assume at least $200 in warranty over it's life time. Take that into consideration when buying used.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    It had better be cheap. I've used several hunderd dollars in warranty on mine (all new insides) and I know several guys on here have had cracked bases/domes as well. I would assume at least $200 in warranty over it's life time. Take that into consideration when buying used.
    im at 1 lg base and 1 lg firebox, and 1 lg spring band. 1 small base and 1 small firebox and ring. could use 2 more lg fireboxes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • volfan1 said:
    But if it's matchlight, same issue as using lighter fluid, no?

Yeah, Matchlight is the scurge of decent BBQ and you risk contaminating your Egg!  Normal briquettes are ok for use in a pinch.  They won't hurt the Egg, but because of the large amounts of ash they produce, you may have airflow problems.

Matchlight users are morons!

Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would not buy an egg again off CL unless it was under half price. I have gone through numerous fire rings, a couple fireboxes, a cracked large base and a cracked medium base. I found a mini for $100 and one of my larges with nest and cast iron grate for $450 but I am selling them and buying demos at the next egging in the mountains to replace them so they have warranties. The large demo with no nest was $599 last year and the XL was $829. Think the mini was $329.
  • I got a LG off CL. It was never used and came with a nest, 20lb bag of lump and some other goodies. All for $425.

Any less of a deal you are better off getting it new. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Buy a new one or demo. I would buy a large or medium if less than $400 and in new condition maybe. I value the warranty though and would still pass on it. The warranty will pay for the price difference later on most likely from hearing from others.