Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee brewers

Comments

• I am on my second cusinart grind and brew, put the whole beans in and set the time, wake up to a great cup of coffee.
    I used one for years until I got a kruig. That cusinart is as good as it gets. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • OK, I'm confused, but maybe that's because I am retired and coffee or a coke is what I need for the morning lift. BBQ and coffee are seldom mentioned in the same sentence, now beer on the other hand or a good sippin' liquor is something all together different. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited September 2012
    chipman said:
    For people using the the Rolls Royce of BBQ devices, I am some what surprised at the lack of interest in a coffee brewer that would brew at the correct temperature (200*). There only a couple of brewers that are capable. The Bonavita, the Technivorm, and lastly a very new player on the block, and the most exciting new coffee brewer ever produced, the   Brazen by Behmore.

http://www.behmor.com/brazen.php
    The Keurig brews at 192*
    New Kuerig VUE brews @ 197. Also have a French Press, Cuisinart brew and Grind and Bunn SS. The VUE is our everyday maker. Purchase the coffee through GMC and the Platinum member club. Great discount
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2012
    Does the Keurig coffee taste good black with nothing added? Thats how I drink coffee. Pure roasted and fresh brewed, nothing else in it. And several cups. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Kuerig now had the cuisinart grind and brew for years but I lived where they had bad water so I was always cleaning calcium out of it. Before that was a bunn which is a quick brew cause it always had hot water in it under 5 mins for a pot and probably the cheapest of the three. Saw the new kuerig view at bed bath and beyond, may be time for an upgrade.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    nerds.  I love it.
  • nerds.  I love it.
    You have no idea....guys have been putting PID's on their espresso machines for years now. People roast beans with everything from heat guns and stainless steel dog bowls to hot air popcorn poppers, and drums on gas grills.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    here here for the Aeropress. I bought one about 4 years ago. Hands down the best coffee maker I've owned. That being said, if you want a drip machine I have no advice. I'm as obsessive about coffee as I am about my BGE. Currently have an Aeropress and a LaPavoni Eurpicola, roast my own beans and am getting ready to order a Pharos hand grinder.
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Another aeropress user here and highly recommend them, one of the best cups of coffee you can make or buy.  I added the Able Brewing disk filter to mine and use the Bonavita pour over kettle.  Just waiting on my Kone and the Kone Brewing System to ship so that I can really get into pour over. 
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a Jura ena 3.  Makes a great cup in under 60 seconds. 
  • i have a bunn velocity brew st.  It is always ready to go because it keeps the water hot all of the time.  When you put in water, it displaces the hot water and brews coffee instantly. Coffee is ideally brewed at around 205 degrees.  The thermapen tells me it is brewing at about 200.  I have not seen any difference in my electric bill at all (and i have had this one for about 18 months)  I am typically not a big fan of Bunn, but i really like this brewer. (it could be made a little heavier duty for the price you pay, but it  performs well)  Here is a link to their site:

http://www.bunnathome.com/products/velocity-brew/velocity-brew-st

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    If you want a drip brew, nothing better than a Chemex (important to use genuine Chemex filter papers)
  • OK, I'm confused, but maybe that's because I am retired and coffee or a coke is what I need for the morning lift. BBQ and coffee are seldom mentioned in the same sentence, now beer on the other hand or a good sippin' liquor is something all together different. 

Trust a Canuck to change a serious coffee thread to beer and liquor

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited September 2012

XLBGE 
  • I use a family sized bunn for the 6 am pot. If I wake up late it's on to the kuerig. If I want a pot on Sunday evening or Saturday morning I use the French press and drink it slow, use a cuisine art grinder on coarse. Have an el cheapo mr coffee at the office that is faithful as well. I've prolly got a pot or two down before 10 am. If not the tremors and headaches will be lurking.

XLBGE 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    I have had a Jura Impressa E9 for years and absolutely love it.  Whole beans on one side, water on the other.  Push a button and 60 seconds later, coffee heaven.  It's bean a workhorse  (sorry about that).  Coffee, espresso, cappuccino, all excellent.  I have friends who love the single serve, but I can't imagine a better cup of joe.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Fliehigh said:

this is the one I have and I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DGB-550BK-Automatic-Coffeemaker-Brushed/dp/B000VTP45Q

6 Years and still works great!

I have had 2 of these and the both lasted just over a year.  Perhaps it is the type of water or something, but both started leaking out of the bottom.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    odie91 said:
    If you want a drip brew, nothing better than a Chemex (important to use genuine Chemex filter papers)
  • I am on my second cusinart grind and brew, put the whole beans in and set the time, wake up to a great cup of coffee.
    I used one for years until I got a kruig. That cusinart is as good as it gets. 
    Agree. Sam's club had the grind & brew on closeout last year. I bought two as backup's at $49 each, Mrs. Hokie & I drink a pot of coffee every morning, and having freshly ground coffee when you wake up is great.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• When time permits, there's nothing better than grinding fresh beans and using a French Press. For every day, we use our Nespresso which is just awesome for everything from regular coffee to espresso to specialty coffee drinks.
  • My preference is a French press, but it is a pain in the butt to clean up.

Otherwise, we usually get a relatively cheap ($60 or so) Krups or Braun drip machine. Our last Braun lasted many years (10-12, maybe) and we are currently on a Krups with a stainless steel, insulated carafe. It has no hot plate, so the coffee does not get overcooked after brewing. To me, this is very important. We've been using this Krups for at least five years.

Every month or so, run a 50% solution of white vinegar and water through your drip maker a couple of times to keep the heating coil clean. Then run plain water through it about three times (fresh water, each time).

Tim
  • +1 for the Chemex.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Every day for the past 3-4 years I've had the same coffee routine:
    - Walk straight from bed to kitchen, put 2 1/2 scoops of whole beans into the burr grinder, turn it on
    - Grab electric stainless kettle and dump one coffee cup of water in, turn on
    - Dump grounds from burr grinder into Bodum French Press
    - Pour boiling water from kettle into press and stir, set time for 3:30
    - Put lid on press and push down

This takes me about 5 minutes max, and has become just as routine as brushing my teeth.  It's the best coffee I've had, and although I get that not everyone wants to do it, I find it similar to lighting an egg vs turning on a gasser.  

As a side note, I use the 3 min 30 seconds that the coffee is brewing to unload the dishwasher every morning.  It helps me wake up to rush through something like this while under a timer. 

To each their own, I think the people on this forum (or people that even go on internet forums in general) are the types that do get a little technical and involved in their hobbies.  As long as I can do my own thing, I don't care what others do :)
  • I know this isn't helpful to the original question, but I got a chimex for a gift last year and really enjoy it: http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/ And for the process and science obsessed BGE crowd it should be a good fit. And it won't break, unless you drop it : )

So, what about roasting beans on the BGE? I know nothing about roasting.
  • Got tired of mine breaking also, so I got a grinder and a french press. Makes a great cup of coffee and nothing to break (except the glass cylinder if you're clumsy like me). The only negative is the messy clean-up, but its not that big of a deal.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    French press is unbelievable. Try a Tennessee Mud for a nightcap. Decaf, Jack
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    My Keurig brewer will brew at 196. Their customer service is exceptional. The pump went out in mine and they sent me a brand new one.
  • +1 for the Keurig K-cups.  My wife likes her exotic blends and I use that plastic thingie to fill with ground Folgers.  We both get what we want.  She also does tea, lattes, and mochas in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious