Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee brewers

Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757
edited September 2012 in Off Topic

I mean home drip coffee makers, not the hard wired/plumbed bunn like machines.

Time has come to buy a new one as the old faithful is leaking water. I usually am very easy when it comes to coffee.

We have had all kinds, expensive and cheap, they all die after a year or so. This one is a Mr. Coffee and dished out some decent brew.

I see the forum members have immense knowledge of tools in the kitchen and thought I will ask here before I go out and buy our next machine.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Keurig - single cup brewer.  You can brew a cup of what ever anyone likes, including teas and hot chocolate.  There are adapters to use your own beans for specialty brews.  
    Keurig - single cup brewer.  You can brew a cup of what ever anyone likes, including teas and hot chocolate.  There are adapters to use your own beans for specialty brews.  
    +1

I exclusively use their "grind your own" cup - have for years.  AND...

...I'm on my third machine.  When there is a pump failure, I've called the company and they've replaced my Keurig with the same model twice, and the model up once...  I can't say enough about their customer service.  Truly amazing.

Also fires quick hot water for tea, which is a big deal in my house as well...

I never buy their pre-made cups.

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• I have the new Kuerig VUE and IMO is better than the K-cup version. Gave that away to the sister in-law. Lots of options w/ the VUE for different size cups.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    get a curisant or breville k-cup machine or if you want really good coffee get a percolator pot best coffee your ever make 

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Yes, iknow about all the esoteric and exotic ways of making coffee. :)

This is about regular wake up in the AM, aready brewed and waiting for you deal. A whole pot for the family...

You know, programmable to set up at night time and ready when you wake up. Aside from Mr. Coffee, there ought to be better options.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator said:

I mean home drip coffee makers, not the hard wired/plumbed bunn like machines.

Time has come to buy a new one as the old faithful is leaking water. I usually am very easy when it comes to coffee.

We have had all kinds, expensive and cheap, they all die after a year or so. This one is a Mr. Coffee and dished out some decent brew.

I see the forum members have immense knowledge of tools in the kitchen and thought I will ask here before I go out and buy our next machine.

Like you we have tried all sort and figure it just a yearly investment as we burn through one a year.  We have tried all sorts and decided as long as it a basket drip its good.  We also do go for super cheap as the coffee just isn't as hot.  Costco usually has decent makes on sale.  As for the K-cups, we have tried but I wake up early to work so I have a few coffees in the morning so I perfer a pot of coffee but if you have a coffee its perfect.
  • Cuisinart DCC-2000, blade grinder, Costco Kirkland Signature House Blend (roasted by Starbucks).  You're welcome.
    Mamaroneck
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Been K-cupping it with a Keurig the past couple years and love it. The cost of a K-cup is about $.50 going through Costco or Amazon, which is expensive by home-brew standards. But the unit heats up quick, makes a fresh cup quickly with no waste from brewing too much or letting the coffee get old. And no pot to leave on the burner to get burnt, or worse breaking it (yes, we've done THAT). The Keurig does have a quirk where it occassionally 'hangs up', maybe due to a coffee ground. But a quick web search identified the 'cure'. You turn it upside down and 'spank it' once and it's good to go, though some people don't know. All in all goes good with 'Eggin' in the mornin'!
  • Have you considered a french press? Very simple, inexpensive, and makes a great cup of coffee.
  • We have a french press and a Braun drip machine. The Braun is well over five years old and is still working fine, used every morning. It uses cone filters and has a 10 cup (4oz) capacity. Nothing fancy, no timers, clocks - just an on/off switch. It auto "offs" in 10 minutes. There is no hot plate, the stainless steel not glass carafe, keeps the brew warm for an hour or so. It will also accept Brita water filters if you need that sort of thing. 
    We havo owned Mr Coffee and Black and Decker. Maybe one or two years out of each, the Braun has been extraordinary. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Get a Bunn and don't look back. We have 2 of them, one for home and one for the office. Going on 10 years old and no problems.
  • chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    edited September 2012
    For people using the the Rolls Royce of BBQ devices, I am some what surprised at the lack of interest in a coffee brewer that would brew at the correct temperature (200*). There only a couple of brewers that are capable. The Bonavita, the Technivorm, and lastly a very new player on the block, and the most exciting new coffee brewer ever produced, the   Brazen by Behmore.

http://www.behmor.com/brazen.php
  • I am another one for the Keurig.  Mine is set to be ready when I wake up.  All I have to do is put a K cup in it and press the button.  It doesn't take much longer than pouring a cup.  It works for me because I don't have to remember to set it up the night before, and there are some mornings that I get called into work before my normal time and don't get to get something at home.  

A couple of my customers have put them in their break rooms.  I have started putting K cups in my locker, so I always have coffee ready.  You never know how old or who made the coffee in the pot, or how it will taste.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • chipman said:
    For people using the the Rolls Royce of BBQ devices, I am some what surprised at the lack of interest in a coffee brewer that would brew at the correct temperature (200*). There only a couple of brewers that are capable. The Bonavita, the Technivorm, and lastly a very new player on the block, and the most exciting new coffee brewer ever produced, the   Brazen by Behmore.

The Keurig brews at 192*
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• bigphil
    edited September 2012
    chipman said:

+1 @chipman But my Breville and Cuisinart  k-cup machines both brew @190+ one for home one for work both are checked for water temp at least once a month but perked coffee is the hottest reaching 200 and the best i think 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • 190 is the very low point for correct brewing. And K cups are both very expensive and in my opinion use a product that is hopelessly stale.

There are people who treat their coffee just as we do our BBQ. Correctly brewed, coffee can be a wonderfully delicious drink, and not just a bitter source of caffeine

http://coffeegeek.com/.
  • Anyone ever had kopi luack(cat **** coffee)?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bigphil
    my preference is perked but for a quick cup k-cups and lack of wasted coffee isn't a bad thing 

• Anyone ever had kopi luack(cat **** coffee)?
    Nope.....I prefer a good Ethiopian Yirg.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited September 2012
    chipman said:

There are people who treat their coffee just as we do our BBQ. Correctly brewed, coffee can be a wonderfully delicious drink, and not just a bitter source of caffeine

http://coffeegeek.com/.

Used to roast my own, but no longer have the time due to working away from home too much.

Spent a fair amount of money on a good burr grinder and an espresso machine, have several french presses, and yes, we now have a Keurig too. When our last drip machine bit the dust, we just decided that we really don't need a whole pot of coffee sitting around.

I do use the reusable filter quite often for fresh ground, locally roasted beans though. But if I'm going through all that trouble....I'll often just pull a double for an Americano.

That Brazen machine looks pretty cool.
  • I use an Aeropress, which doesn't help much if you want a pot of coffee waiting for you in the AM or if you want to do coffee for four people, but for a single cup of coffee it's awesome.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Anyone ever had kopi luack(cat **** coffee)?
    I've tried it.  A Saudi "host" served it.  It was more watery or thin and less acidic than what we are used to.  My take was it is more novelty than flavor.  I think my "host" was enamored with the label of it being the most expensive coffee.
  • I ordered a half pound with some friends last deployment. It sucked.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    I ordered a half pound with some friends last deployment. It sucked.
    Yep, right there with you. 
  • Lavazza or Illy espresso is my drink of choice.  I have a La Faema espresso machine I purchased in Italy back in 1977 and it still works like a dream.  It is a crime what they charge for a double shot of espresso at Starbucks and it is not that great.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Lavazza or Illy espresso is my drink of choice.  I have a La Faema espresso machine I purchased in Italy back in 1977 and it still works like a dream.  It is a crime what they charge for a double shot of espresso at Starbucks and it is not that great.
    What model La faema do you have?
  • We have a DeLonghi Magnifica looks much like the one in the photo.  It starts up at 6:10 every morning.  When I get in the kitchen I put a cup under the nozzle, press one button, the grinder grinds the beans and 45 seconds I have a cup of coffee.  My wife usually comes down 20 minutes later but her coffee takes a little more effort as I have to steam the milk for her latte.  The beauty is that you are not tied to one brand of coffee beans, you only make the amount of coffee you want and maintenance is a 5 minute Sunday morning procedure. 

Gerhard

• pmckinney4
    pmckinney4 Posts: 17
    edited September 2012
    BryantD said:
    I use an Aeropress, which doesn't help much if you want a pot of coffee waiting for you in the AM or if you want to do coffee for four people, but for a single cup of coffee it's awesome.
    I second he aeropress. I have 2 French presses that I use when I need more than a cup. Gave up on the drip machines. The coffee isn't as good and I was replacing them once a year whether I spent $20 or $200 on a machine.
  • I am on my second cusinart grind and brew, put the whole beans in and set the time, wake up to a great cup of coffee.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC