Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wusthof Knife Sharpener, 4 Stage Handheld

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
all my knives are wusthof classic

i want to buy a sharpener - what do you guys think of this inexpensive sharpener from wusthof

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/wusthof-knife-sharpener-4-stage-handheld?ID=514548&cm_mmc=Google_Feed_pla_pe-_-adtype-pla-_-target-19586772875-_-kw-&gclid=CKuXlIHxt7ICFQgGnQodxzYAcw

thanks, mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    Mine are also Wusthof Classic....had them for 15 yrs or so...they continue to do a great job. Initially, I had a similar Wusthof sharpener. It was OK, but not great. I replaced it with a Spyderco unit a number of yrs ago. The Spyderco is excellent for my needs....and it didn't break my bank, maybe twice the price of the Wusthof sharpener. For an inexpensive sharpener, I would recommend the Spyderco over the Wusthof.
    Fairview, Texas
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    My next toy will be a Chefs Choice 130 Sharpener
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Nope, I dont like it. I would do either upgrade to THIS or get THIS for the same price. I have both. 

If you really want something like what you linked above, you can get the same thing for much cheaper. That Wusthof thingy is way over priced for what it is and does.  
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have that Sypderco sharpener that I don't use anymore, if anyone in the local nawlins' area is interested in it, I'll trade it for a packer brisket or a liter of good Kentucky bourbon. 
    Options
    Mr. Toad.

FWIW, the Amazon reviews only give it a 3 1/2 star rating.

It seems to me, of the suggestions made, that the Spyderco is a good tool. One would have to take care to draw the knife carefully along the rods, but just a bit of practice should solve that. But if you had the blades professionally sharpened, a few light passes on the Spyderco would fresjen the edge.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I agree with @travisstrick and have used the Wusthof, but have a Lansky now and like it much better. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Japanese water stones are the best sharpening tools around. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Options
    Japanese water stones are the best sharpening tools around. 
    If one can hold the angles correctly.  But then, ceramic, diamond coated or Arkansas stones will work just fine as well if you can get the angles correct.  I believe the last time this topic came up travisstrick suggested the edge pro apex.  I've had the opportunity to use one and I would highly recommend it. 
    http://www.edgeproinc.com

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    there is a very informative thread where I asked the same question here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138732/knife-sharpener/p1 Got lots of good info. I went with a stone with 400 on one side and 1000 on the other. Totally brought my knives back to life. When buying the stone, the guy at the store explained to me that once knives lose their edge, they actually roll over. When you use these cheap sharpeners, it kind of sharpens the rolled over part if that makes sense but it does not really sharpen the actual edge. This causes the knife to go dull again very quickly
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX