Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

I like Big Butts and I cannot lie!

2»

Comments

• 500500 Posts: 1,199
    Mayberry, that bark looks great as is.  Looks good.  Haven't peeked on my twins.  Dome at 250, butts at 148.  It's waking up now.  Some sizzle smoke coming out the top.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • Prepare yourself for the stall...holy cow! It was at 180 6 hrs ago. Right now still sitting at 187.
    Athens, GA
  • Anyone have a magic temp they pull off the grill at? I've heard anywhere from 190-200. What do most do? Also, I'm Going to take half to a tailgate and eat the rest with family tomorrow for lunch. Should i cut in half with my electric knife, FTC both halves and take the half for today to the tailgate whole and pull there? Then, i could throw the other half back on the Egg tomorrow, warm up and then pull. Or, would that dry it out? Would you do that for just pull it all today and put half in the refrigerator until tomorrow?
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry said:
    Anyone have a magic temp they pull off the grill at? I've heard anywhere from 190-200. What do most do? Also, I'm Going to take half to a tailgate and eat the rest with family tomorrow for lunch. Should i cut in half with my electric knife, FTC both halves and take the half for today to the tailgate whole and pull there? Then, i could throw the other half back on the Egg tomorrow, warm up and then pull. Or, would that dry it out? Would you do that for just pull it all today and put half in the refrigerator until tomorrow?

when the probe slides in and out like butter. Anywhere from 190-205. Usually around 195 for me but a few degrees can make a big difference

• Thanks....what about serving today and tomorrow? Which way will it be better tomorrow?
    Athens, GA
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,024
    You can throw half of it in the fridge and crock pot it the next day. 

• Would you cut the whole butt in half, warmup and pull that half tomorrow, or pull it all today and heat up the already pulled pork tomorrow?
    Athens, GA
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,024
    Either way.  If you pull it all at once, it makes it easy to reheat if you food-saver the pork - you can reheat in boiling water.  Last time I did that I pulled after re-heating.  Mix up some vinegar based bbq sauce to give it some moisture no matter how you do it.

• tjvtjv Posts: 3,241
    dang, just wonder how big and old was that piggy.......lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
  • Finished product. Juicy meat. Crunchy bark. It's a success!!! Thanks for your help.
    2012-09-15_12-48-15_278.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Athens, GA
  • 500500 Posts: 1,199
    Don't know if I was much help, but it was fun as we were going through the same ride.  Looks tasty.  Some mighty big bark.  I think I'm in the stall.  Holding at 170.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."