Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I like Big Butts and I cannot lie!

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
First overnight tonight. 11.5 lb Boston Butt just went on... no idea how long this thing will take. I initially planned to cut it in half and just throw it on early in the morning for a mid afternoon tailgate. But, it's bone in, it's been a long week, and I just couldn't figure out how to cut the damn thing and keep bone in both sides. So, entire 11.5 lb butt is on and rolling. New Maverick ET – 732 is hooked up for the first time, and Dizzy Dust is being prepared to be introduced to the family. I'm expecting somewhere between 11 and 18 hours for this to get done, but that's a pretty wide window. Will probably update with questions throughout the night.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• I'd like to post pictures of the cook, but iPads don't seem to work with attaching files on this website.  Anyone found out how to post pics from an iPad on here?
    Athens, GA
  • If you sync it and then put the photos into an album, you can then attach them as files (though it is slow for me). 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I'm here with ya Mayberry.  I'm starting two 7.5# butts soon to be ready to pull at 6pm Saturday.  I have my new apron ready to go.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Lol...awesome! Where'd you get that?
    Athens, GA
    Mayberry said:
    Lol...awesome! Where'd you get that?
    http://www.cafepress.com/+pig-butts+aprons
    Member since 2009
  • Here's a"before" pic, and another just now at 2 hrs in. Grid temp is holding at 255 and meat temp is at 95 and rising.
    Athens, GA
    Looking good.  Gonna go light the Egg now.
    Member since 2009
  • Exactly 3 hours in. Grate temp is hovering at 250°, and the internal meat temp is already up to 117°. this seems like it's going a little faster than I expected. Does this seem right on track, or is it too early to tell?
    Athens, GA
    I usually go 250 dome, so don't know what the difference may be.  I think the dome is hotter than the grate, if I had to guess.  I would think with a hunk that big, it'll take awhile.  If you open it again, maybe place the probe in a different spot, just not next to the bone.  Maybe you're getting a false reading.  I'm no expert, though so that's just a guess.
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    and now for the entertainment section of our program....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isMFxOLbiro

• Nola! Welcome aboard for the night! I love you guys in the time zones behind me. You can help calm down my needless anxiety when I worry and start asking stupid questions. I'm 2 beers and a bottle of wine in, so I assume they will be starting in 3,2,1.....
    Athens, GA
  • Meant to ask you a question the other day, but got distracted. Are you originally from New Orleans and live somewhere else now, or do you still live there? We've taken a few trips down there in the last few years. My father in law is in Alexandria. Our last run through, we went to a place in the 7th Ward called Willie Mae's Scotch House. Best fried chicken I've ever eaten. And, while I'm not a huge fan of red beans and rice, the butter beans and rice there were amazing. Ever heard of the place?
    Athens, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Hey Mayberry, Heard of the place, never eaten there.  I'm going to now, though.  I'm not originally from New Orleans, moved down here a few years after college back in '91 and never left.  SWMBO is born and raised.  Her dad is from Alexandria - Belgian heritage.

This is a great city for foodies.  BBQ isn't as mainstream as Texas or the Carolinas, but it's big in the local friends and family sub-culture.  Watch Treme on HBO - you'll see BBQ in just about every episode and it's a pretty accurate representation of the life in the urban area of NOLA.

Your pork butt will be fine.  Best thing to do is just make sure you're in the sweet spot with dome temp, and don't even look at it until you calculate it should be around 180 or so.  Keep us updated.  Where y'at?  West coast?

• No, Athens, GA....home of the Dawgs! Born in N. Carolina and family is all from Mt. Airy (Andy Griffith's hometown, and the basis for his show...hence, the nickname Mayberry from friends. My name is Andy, also). You've got to try out Willie Mae's. It's one of those places that I'd gladly make the 8hr drive, just to eat there. It really is that good. The last time we went, Spike Lee was there eating lunch, because he was filming a movie in town. Small little place in a total bad area of town, but was packed out with both locals, businessmen, and 1 random celebrity.
    Athens, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Man, I love places like that!  Spike filmed When the Levees Broke here, maybe that's why he was there.  Willie Mae's sound like Dooky Chase's restaurant.  Another storied establishment. Lemme know next time you come into town if you want some ideas on where to eat.  Also, nomenu.com is a good resource.
  • Mayberry said:
    Exactly 3 hours in. Grate temp is hovering at 250°, and the internal meat temp is already up to 117°. this seems like it's going a little faster than I expected. Does this seem right on track, or is it too early to tell?
    My dome is hovering just a tick under 250 and has been for about 2.5 hours -- mine is at 88 degrees, but it came right out of the fridge.  Once you hit the 160s you'll stay there for the majority of the day.  And, if it gets done before you are ready to eat, wrap it in foil (tight), and then a few towels, and then put it in a cooler.  Works like a dream to keep it hot, but moist, for a few hours.
  • 5 hrs in. Grate temp back down to 235 and internal meat temp up to 140.
    Athens, GA
    edited September 2012
    I'm now just 40 minutes in, closed the lid at 1:55am.  Dosed off and the dome went to 300, but I backed it down and put them on.  Dome says 200 now but I'm guessing that's the cold butts throwing it off.  I'm not touching it now.  Butts rose from 44 to 64 now.  I think I'll sit here and adjust the flavors of the bourbon cocktail I made up yesterday to get that tasting right and then jug them and get some sleep.  Hickory smoke is rolling.
    Member since 2009
    Mayberry, Did ya make it through the night?  At 8am, I'm at 138 on the butts and the Egg is rolling steady.  Smoke ran out sometime through the night.  Still not peeking, but I catch a smell of porky goodness.
    Member since 2009
  • I love the smell of pork butt in the morning!

• KingRover said:
    I love the smell of pork butt in the morning!
    Me too!!!   I've been chasing temps all night.  Not sure whats going on.  The end product will be great an nobody will know.  Back to coffee.
    QUESTION:  The dome temp has been hovering at 200 all night.  Over night I didn't want to mess with it.  Should I bump it up?  Am I in jeopardy of running short on time?  I'm at 144 internal.  Want to take them off at 4pm.
    Member since 2009
  • yes I would bump it up.  I think that is low since you grate temp is lower and you are shooting for 190 to 200.

Cheers

• yes I would bump it up.  I think that is low since you grate temp is lower and you are shooting for 190 to 200.

Cheers

+1.  Just a touch.  You can always FTC.
    Flint, Michigan
  • dome temp of 200 is grid temp at 190-ish. hard to get a butt to 200 when your temp is 190 :). I would go at least 250 dome (really 275+). You haven/t even hit the stall yet. You are going to need to bump up significantly if you want this done this afternoon
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
    hard to get a butt to 200 when your temp is 190 :)
    What you just said just hit me.  It all makes sense.  It can only get as hot as the Egg.  Dome temp creeping up.  Thanks.
    Member since 2009
  • Grate temp held steady all night with only one adjustment, and meat temp is at 187 and climbing. Looking good and smelling great!
    Athens, GA
  • I've read where some people will hit with a little more rub after the stall. Does this make sense, or was the slathering of seasonings I put on last night sufficient?
    Athens, GA
  • I dont put anything on them at this point.  Let us know how it tastes!!