Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What to cook for a 6 hour smoke?

robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,853
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
On Sunday I am have a few people over for the late football game (JETS - I know I know).  I will not be home until late Saturday night so I wont be able to do an overnight. 

I was thinking of lighting the Egg around 7:00 AM and I want the food ready around 2.  What can I cook?

I have done pork spares and baby back ribs and they come out OK but looking for other choices.

May do some wings if I have time/room on the Egg.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• You could do a 3-5lb chuck roast and do pulled beef sammies. They are awesome

• What is internal temp for beef Sammie's?
  • I mean pulled beef?
  • 200-205

• do them at 260 grid (275-300 dome) for 1-1.25 hrs per lb and that should get you close

• I always use Clay Q's recipe when doing pulled beef.  It is always on the money.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

• EazyEEazyE Posts: 55
    Man, Clay Q's recipe looks awesome. I have a couple of dumb questions. I don't have a Dutch oven. It says at the bottom you can use a double layer of aluminum foil. Does he mean to wrap them in foil, or just set them on or in foil, dual layered. I use the Aluminum pans similar to what he has in the picture. Can I just put them in one or two of those? Also, what do you do with the bacon after step two. Just pull it with the beef and leave in in there when you put it back on for the last step.

But my main question is what is the best way to cook if you don't have the Dutch oven??
  • I use a dutch oven, but an aluminum pan should work also in that stage.

• Ribs
    Mark Annville, PA
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,853
    I did a pulled beef (chuck roast) about a month ago and it was awesome but the 4/5 lber took ~10 hours and I put it a pan with beef broth/onions when it reached 160 (~7 hours in). 

I would love to do that this weekend.  Would maybe 2 or 3 3lb chuck roasts work better or will the meat come out tougher with a smaller roast?

Or can I do 2 4lbers in 6 hours?  Including cool down time.  Once the game starts I do not want to be cooking anymore.

Garnerville, NY
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    why not abandon smoke ,and just go for a nice pork loin (not tenderloin).
    Good eats
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    nothing better then pulled beef
  • Lamb shanks are amazing

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,853
    Oh and I should have mentioned a little on the cheaper side.

Do you think I could cook the chuck roasts in that short of time?  maybe at 275/300 dome?  Or will that ruin them?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    Oh and I should have mentioned a little on the cheaper side.

Do you think I could cook the chuck roasts in that short of time?  maybe at 275/300 dome?  Or will that ruin them?
    cook them at 300 dome. They will cook in 1-1.25 hrs per lb and they will be awesome. 225 is not the number for low and slow on the egg. I'm convinced that not only will in not ruin your low and slows, but they will be much better at 275-300 dome.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 8,237
    I recall (no pics-never happened) doing around a 3# chuck roast for pulled beef and did a ba$tardized Clay Q method (leaving out the sauce refinement on the tail-end) using the bacon and foil in a pan after around 160*F in the meat to 210*F and it was great-took about 5-6 hrs.  Search big green egg and pulled beef and you will get a few links that you can cut-and-paste.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker