Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this OK to use? (Sorry for the HUGE pics)

Options
KntroverC
KntroverC Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everybody!

I had this Hickory sitting in my garage and finally decided to split it. Is it still OK to use?

Thanks

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yep.  I'd cut it into smaller chunks, but bark and all, it's good.

Yep.  I'd cut it into smaller chunks, but bark and all, it's good.
    +1 - don't think you can wrong with shag bark, well it likes like shag bark to me - based on my firewood pile, I'd say maybe 3 to 4 years old?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be OK to use?  Unless you've sprayed it down w/ some hazardous chemicals, it's wood, and it'll smoke ;)

There's a few folks who buy (NON-treated) cedar roof shingles to use as cedar planks for foods like salmon.  And they got the idea from the natives indians who have used cedar (and other) woods for cooking purposes for thousands of years. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • KntroverC
    Options
    Whew, thank you so much! I was considering throwing it out with the trash!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looks pretty clean. I'd avoid anyplace that seems rotten (soft, mushy, crumbly). I've never read about anyone smoking with fungus or lichen, so I'd toss any portion that had those. Otherwise, looks like a good supply of chunks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A bunch of trees fell around the neighborhood when hurricane Isaac rolled through.  Now I have a lifetime supply of pecan, cedar and oak.

I don't use cedar roof shingles, but I do buy cedar fence boards, usually 1"X6"X6' for a buck at the local lumber yard. Then I just wack em' up into suitable lengths. For those without a saw, the lumber yard will even cut them for free.

The local grill store sells cedar planks in packages of 6 for $10....  ;>)

RicklesssssS in Oregon

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Rick, never thought about cedar fence post, thanks
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx