Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie with Plate Setter Problem- Need Help

4GoodFood
4GoodFood Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a medium sized egg with a medium plate setter and the grid doesnt fit on top of the plate setter. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Picture

Thank you :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The grid falls in on the plate setter....it is like it is too small??
  • That don't look right.  Do you have a grid from a small?  The circumference change is actually minor, but results in big changes to the total square inches. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The circumference for a medium is 15 inches i believe, and thats what the grid measures. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Head back to your dealer-platesetter looks like its too big-should be some clearance between the platesetter and the inner diameter of the base.  Smaller platesetter would be one option-don't know if you could use the current platesetter with an over-sized grid.  Good luck!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Same problem - it will fit but it will not completely cover the legs in the up position - you have to balance it with the grid being about half-way set on all the legs - just another reason I should have bought a large :-(
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited September 2012

4GoodFood said:
    The circumference for a medium is 15 inches i believe, and thats what the grid measures. 
    Is that a porcelain grid? I have a SS grid for my medium which actually measures 15.75'' as opposed the the 15" of the porcelain one. Mine sits on my platesetter perfectly. I only found out the difference from researching the Woo2 on the Ceramic Grill Store website.Perhaps you can go back to your dealer and request a Stainless grid?  My plate setter seats in the BGE the same way. If necessary, I can upload some pictures tonight after I get home from work.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    reh111 said:
    Same problem - it will fit but it will not completely cover the legs in the up position - you have to balance it with the grid being about half-way set on all the legs - just another reason I should have bought a large :-(

Sounds like there was a running change to the platesetter specs for this to now become an issue.  I would hope enough customers complain that BGEHQ takes a look at what is going on. Independent of the $$ involved-you shouldn't have to jury-rig the basic components to get it to work as designed.  Just my two cents-off the small soap box!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior

reh111 said:
    Do you have a porcelain grid, by chance?
  • reh111

reh111 said:
    Do you have a porcelain grid, by chance?
    I've got the grid that came with it - don't think it's porcelain - there has to have been a change in the plate setters - the one that came with the medium BGE didn't have this problem that I remember - when I broke the original one the replacement came with "ribs" on the outside of the legs which should have moved the legs closer to the center and made the griddle fit even better - instead, I have to do the balancing act I describe above and I can't tell you the number of times that after I've put a drip pan with water/wine/beer on the plate setter, setting the griddle precariously on the legs that when I put the weight of the brisket or butt caused the griddle to move a little and fall down on the drip pan -- grrrrrrrr!
  • reh111
    BTW - "Griddle" = grill 
  • reh111
    This is how the grill sits on all three legs:

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    reh111 said:
    This is how the grill sits on all three legs:

So when you do something like try to flip something with a spatula and you move the grate 1/4" everything just dumps down on the plate setter?

Sorry I can't help, I only cooked once on a medium once at an egg fest and didn't use the plate setter. But something doesn't look right.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    that's an old version grid trying to sit on a new version platesetter.  Old medium version grid was porcelain (black) and 15" diameter.  New grid is 15.75 dia. and stainless. 

Also, check to make sure the platesetter sits down on the fire ring with the legs pointing down.  Some folks have issue with the legs hanging on the inner egg wall.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • reh111
    tjv said:
    that's an old version grid trying to sit on a new version platesetter.  Old medium version grid was porcelain (black) and 15" diameter.  New grid is 15.75 dia. and stainless. 

Also, check to make sure the platesetter sits down on the fire ring with the legs pointing down.  Some folks have issue with the legs hanging on the inner egg wall.

tom
    Thank you for the info - amazing though that they'd change the diameter of the plate setter when a bunch of us have the old grill - maybe it's an intended disconnect in order to make us buy new grids - and, Hungry Joe, yep, that's what happens
  • reh111
    tjv said:

tom
    Oh, tom - already had the problem with the legs pointing down - they don't fit - at least one of them presses against the side of the egg - I did a clean burn like that and the leg that was pressing against the wall of the egg broke off - will not do that again!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Here is how mine sits on the place setter. The outside ring of the grid fits perfectly. If you do have the SS grid, perhaps the cast for the place setter was off when the ceramic was fired. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Here are some different angles and close-ups.
  • reh111
    Eggcelsior - that's how they should fit - unfortunately, and I don't know whether this is just a problem on the medium or others also, it doesn't work that way on mine - I've sent an email to the mother ship but I doubt I'll get much in the way of resolution
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

I would go back to the dealer, if he is worth his salt he would help you. As for the mothership, call them during regular business hours and leave a message. They will get back to you.

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Definetly go back to the dealer and make sure it's right. If that doesn't work send that pic to HQ. They'll make sure it's correct
  • Here is how mine sits on the place setter. The outside ring of the grid fits perfectly. If you do have the SS grid, perhaps the cast for the place setter was off when the ceramic was fired. 

This is exactly how my grill fits on my plate setter.
    Something is wrong with the size of your grill or plate setter IMHO.

• reh111
    Something is wrong with the size of your grill or plate setter IMHO.

My guess is that you're right - but....I bought a medium BGE and the grill came with it - I replaced my original broken plate setter with another "medium" BGE plate setter - so, what would be wrong unless the factory has changed the dimensions of one or the other and not told anyone?
  • I suggest that you take the grill grid with you back to the dealer and match up a plate setter to your grill if this would help.