Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bit by the Egg! No Response for BGE!!

Comments

• My vent is hard to slide open as well.  Is this the same vent as yours?

• Let me add, it doesn't slide smoothly.  But I can't see myself getting cut by it.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    My vent is hard to slide open as well.  Is this the same vent as yours?

Cleaning out the ash in the bottom track should help with smoother operation.
    My vent is hard to slide open as well.  Is this the same vent as yours?

Cleaning out the ash in the bottom track should help with smoother operation.
    No doubt, but even when it was brand new it was not smooth. 
  • cep55
    cep55 Posts: 20
    Yes, Smooth, that's like mine. Clearly it never occurred to me I might get cut on it, either, or I probably could have avoided it; but now you know so please use care with it! :)

I do think keeping the track clean will help, and maybe some sort of silicon lube. (My incident happened on the second cook, so it was still extremely clean by then!)

Just to reiterate, I love my egg; I just want everyone to be aware of this because although I'm sure many function smoothly as they should, some vents seem to be a bit more sticky and potentially dangerous than the average reasonable person might expect. Or maybe Nat and I are the only two people in the world who might be injured by this. In any case, I'd prefer everyone at least be aware of this, because I'd rather they avoid any potential injury.
  • Thanks for bringing this to light.  I'll definitely be more careful.  As ugly as my fingers are, I don't want to cut one off either. 
  • mine is REALLY hard to open and close.  I was put off by this as well when I first received it.  I figured it would loosen up with use but it hasnt so I am disappointed but I have learned to live with it.  sux though.
  • In response to BGE not replying to your email:  You mentioned law suit.  No one in their right mind is going to respond to that email, whether you repsented you were not going to sue or not.
  • cep55
    cep55 Posts: 20
    That's a good point, although they didn't respond to my email, either, and I didn't mention any such thing...
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    SaltyHogs is someone's alter ego - somebody who doesn't have enough b*lls to post under their own username.  So just ignore him / her.

As far as getting cut - I'm confused - how would this happen?  Can someone post a pic or diagram or otherwise explain what part you can get cut on (not trying to be a smart-a**, honestly I'm not sure how it can happen unless you were to slide it all the way out & then run your finger across the edge).  

Also, I agree that BGE should respond and not ignore their customers, if even to say "sorry, that sux"

Thanks,
    HH.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • SaltyHogs is someone's alter ego - somebody who doesn't have enough b*lls to post under their own username.  So just ignore him / her.

As far as getting cut - I'm confused - how would this happen?  Can someone post a pic or diagram or otherwise explain what part you can get cut on (not trying to be a smart-a**, honestly I'm not sure how it can happen unless you were to slide it all the way out & then run your finger across the edge).  

Thanks,
    HH.
    BillyBob are you still mad that several of us exposed you on the other forum for giving deliberate misinformation out which caused you to be outted?

So now you do it here.
  • BillyBob are you still mad that several of us exposed you on the other forum for giving deliberate misinformation out which caused you to be outted?

So now you do it here.
    ummm, have no idea what you are talking about - "outed" for what? - and didn't even know that place was still around.  Also, you just proved you're an alter ego.  

anyway, sorry you don't have enough b*lls to post under your better-known username.  Talk about cowardly.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • You know exactly what I'm talking about. It was the funniest thing I ever saw. You getting exposed. You fell in the trap so easy too. Alter egos? You should know. You had numerous ones on the other site using proxy accounts. I'm sure you are doing it here.
  • You know exactly what I'm talking about. It was the funniest thing I ever saw. You getting exposed. You fell in the trap so easy too. Alter egos? You should know. You had numerous ones on the other site using proxy accounts. I'm sure you are doing it here.
    ummmm, ok... whatever you say (rolls eyes).  Anyway, you take care now - be sure to shine your tinfoil hat.  

buh-bye.
  • Sorry those that have been injured. Also sorry that some users seem to have a need for a pissing contest. Gentlemen, why the hate?
  •  

Sorry those that have been injured. Also sorry that some users seem to have a need for a pissing contest. Gentlemen, why the hate?
    He can't help it.  "Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you, rebuke a wise man and he will love you."  Proverbs 9:8.  True then, true now.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Did your finger slip off and then get caught on the edge?  Could you post a pic of the bottom right lip of your Egg?  In Smooth's picture above, the left side track was rounded so there wasn't a sharp point.  Is yours like that?  Or is there a burr on the edge?  

It sounds like what you find on some metal pieces on computer cases.  I've built a lot of systems as a hobby and depending on the manufacturer of the computer case, there are a lot of sharp edges in the case where the frame that holds the components in place are stamped out or not machined well.  That is especially true on the cheaper brand cases.  Some will put plastic edging over the exposed edges, others don't.  Some times I'll just go in and cover some of the offending areas with a piece of tape.

My vent slides with a bit of effort, but doesn't take a lot to open and close.  As others have pointed out, widening the track with a small screw driver should help.  I'll take a look at my tracks to see if there are any sharp edges though.  

As for the non-response, your email was probably kicked up to the legal department.  If they respond with as so much as a 'we're sorry' it could be construed as an admission of guilt on their part if a lawsuit occurred.  That's just the nature of today's sue happy society.  

Sometimes defective parts come through the manufacturing process and yours is an isolated case.  If they are getting a lot of calls and issues with it, then they should be looking into it.  Or it just could have been a freak accident as well.  Hope you continue to heal well!

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    HDmstng said:
    Did your finger slip off and then get caught on the edge?  Could you post a pic of the bottom right lip of your Egg?  In Smooth's picture above, the left side track was rounded so there wasn't a sharp point.  Is yours like that?  Or is there a burr on the edge?  

It sounds like what you find on some metal pieces on computer cases.  I've built a lot of systems as a hobby and depending on the manufacturer of the computer case, there are a lot of sharp edges in the case where the frame that holds the components in place are stamped out or not machined well.  That is especially true on the cheaper brand cases.  Some will put plastic edging over the exposed edges, others don't.  Some times I'll just go in and cover some of the offending areas with a piece of tape.

My vent slides with a bit of effort, but doesn't take a lot to open and close.  As others have pointed out, widening the track with a small screw driver should help.  I'll take a look at my tracks to see if there are any sharp edges though.  

As for the non-response, your email was probably kicked up to the legal department.  If they respond with as so much as a 'we're sorry' it could be construed as an admission of guilt on their part if a lawsuit occurred.  That's just the nature of today's sue happy society.  

Sometimes defective parts come through the manufacturing process and yours is an isolated case.  If they are getting a lot of calls and issues with it, then they should be looking into it.  Or it just could have been a freak accident as well.  Hope you continue to heal well!

If the edges are indeed sharp / pointy on someone's vent,  perhaps taking a Dremel to the edges w/ the grinding stone attachment would help round them off.  I'll take note of my vent tomorrow when I'm doing my Labor Day cook and will see what the edges look like.  

I also second the advice on widening the slot the vent slides in to help it slide easier.

HTH,
    HH
  • MDB, wouldn't you expect not to slice your finger open on a part that is designed to slide back and forth using said finger? The radiator cap on my car has a warning not to touch it because it is hot. Using your logic, all BGE should do is put a warning that one should be careful while sliding the vent open. Or, maybe they could design a vent that wouldn't slice a finger.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. The BGE is still the best cooking machine on earth. I will use the advice provided in response to the original post (cleaning out the track, filing it down a bit, spreading the track a bit, etc.). Hopefully world HQ will reply to my emails. They were GREAT when I had an issue with my seal. Like cep55, I did not mention litigation, nor would I litigate over something like this. Just trying to understand whether I am going to have to live with a rinky dink vent on my incredible cooking machine or if there is a higher quality vent assembly I can acquire. Here's to great grilling throughout the fall!
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I did like other posters and used a screwdriver to widen the track. Slides much better now. Another thing I did was tap on the corners with a screwdriver (bending over), preventing the cover from going too far and past the screen. This also eliminated two of the sharp areas.
    Be careful when tapping as there is ceramic behind it.
    Ya'll be careful, grilling is much more fun if you don't hurt yourself.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Salty Hogs BBQ = Ginormous Richard
  • I know you are, but what am I? Tag. You're it. How original. That was funny in middle school.
  • eggo said:
    I did like other posters and used a screwdriver to widen the track. Slides much better now. Another thing I did was tap on the corners with a screwdriver (bending over), preventing the cover from going too far and past the screen. This also eliminated two of the sharp areas.
    Be careful when tapping as there is ceramic behind it.
    Ya'll be careful, grilling is much more fun if you don't hurt yourself.
    Mine has always worked fine.  Who knows what little bumps may have been suffered in transit.  Glad to see you got yours working with help on this thread in spite of the flotsam and jetsam.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I'm glad I am not the only person who has had issues with the screen/vent. I have had my XL BGE since May and within 3 cooks, the vent slide became very hard to open/close. I also cut my finger while trying to adjust the vent (not as seriously as cep55, but something akin to a deep annoying papercut). Now, whenever I open/close/adjust the vent, I have to put on a pair of work gloves and muscle the dang thing to move. And no, there is no debris in the track. I hope that these messages are heard by BGE so that they will make alterations to the design. Otherwise, extremely thrilled with the product.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    edited September 2012

so bge should put warning signs all over the egg now?

how bout one on the dome stating "ITALIANS TAKE NOTE - OPENING TOO FAST WHILE IN USE  WILL RESULT IN A LOSS OF YOUR WOLF KNUCKLES!"

Yes I am italian!  LOL

• Natgporter:  All that I have to say is thank you for bringing this potential problem to my attention. I think that I came close to cutting myself a few times on my 4 month old XL. Going forward, I'll be more careful. What I learned here about cleaning out the track and using a screwdriver to widen it will help. Thanks, again, and thanks to all other constructive commentators.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • Mayberry said:
    Take a flathead screwdriver and GENTLY bend out the track a little bit. Problem solved. My dealer told me to do that when assembling the Egg, and I've never had a problem. As for catching on the screen, that means that you have the door behind the screen and not in front of it. That's the only way it can catch. I made the same mistake to begin with. Put the solid sliding door on top and it will never catch again.
    Mayberry - Good fix, but should the user have to do it? I think the issue is that when moved to the right, the left edge of the solid vent door, which is on top of the screen, goes past the right edge of the safety screen. The screen moves forward and any attempt to close the solid vent is impossible. You have to press in on the screen while sliding the vent door to the left. If it is a patented design it is darn poor one. 
    Sorry to hear about any who have hurt themselves, I think you have a right to expect that a part which the user is advised to move, should be as safe as possible. Maybe that's why I leave the lower vent alone and adjust with the daisy wheel, IMHO the BGE lower vent is one of the most poorly designed user controls I have ever seen, I put up with it, but it is a sticking, hard to use, frustrating device. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • For a grill costing $1000 you shouldn't have to do any mods to make it safe. I agree the lower vent is hard and I personally never open it pass 80% now.

Thanks for the info. You guys be safe and enjoy some good BBQ!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    edited September 2012
    I just spent a few minutes reading through this stupid thread and I'm convinced most of you have nothing better to do than ****, moan and piss at each other.

Sorry you cut your finger. Get a damned file and file down the offending piece of metal!

Personally, I would feel like a damned fool coming on a forum complaining about 'avulsing' my finger on anything.

Most of you have something more important to do I'm sure. Go do it. (I need to find something to do my self)