Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for good recipe for ABTs

DaveM
DaveM Posts: 100
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is your favorite ABT recipe?  I'm hosting a Labor Day BBQ and want to fire some up today to test.  Not sure if I'm into wrapping them in bacon, like the recipe in the BGE Cookbook, though.
--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Don't know about the BGE cookbook recipe-but I do the half jala, filled with pepper jack cheese that has been mixed with whatever meat I have from a prior cook or about anything you have in the house.  Been known to use smoked salmon as well.  Then wrap with a half slice of bacon and raised grid direct at around 350-375*F til the bacon is done. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • We mix cream cheese with mango peach salsa. Stuff the jalapeños with the mix and wrap in bacon. Delicious! Perfect mix of sweet and spicy.
  • DaveM
    We mix cream cheese with mango peach salsa. Stuff the jalapeños with the mix and wrap in bacon. Delicious! Perfect mix of sweet and spicy.
    That sounds good!  I'll take a look in the grocery store for mango peach salsa.  I like the idea of adding sweetness to offset the spice.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    We mix cream cheese with mango peach salsa. Stuff the jalapeños with the mix and wrap in bacon. Delicious! Perfect mix of sweet and spicy.
    As noted above, although ours was just a peach preserve, plus half a medium hot chorizo sausage pre-cooked to about 80%, wrapped with a full slice of bacon. A 4" pepper wrapped with a full slice does not need tooth picks if you slightly stretch the bacon, it sticks to itself. We also cook indirect at 300F for 45 minutes to an hour. Advantage is you don'e have to baby sit them as in direct cook, IMHO.
    Hard to go wrong whatever you do.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    We cut the stems off and devain them,( never cut in half). Mix cream cheese and "HOT" italian sausage, I use a cookie gun to inject the mix inside. Wrap with a thick slice hickory bacon, and just a touch of Plow Boys Yardbird rub. Indirect heat 30 min, then rotate for another 30 min.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I did jalapeno, cream cheese mixed with green onion and garlic, lay a little smokie in there then wrapped by half slice of bacon.
    It was my first go and they were good.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I did jalapeno, cream cheese mixed with green onion and garlic, lay a little smokie in there then wrapped by half slice of bacon.
    It was my first go and they were good.
    Seattle, WA
  • DaveM
    I chose a blend of cream cheese, mango-peach salsa and some smoked chorizo.  I cut the peppers in half, stuffed and wrapped them up in center-cut bacon. I ran out of stuffing, so I have four that I put a wedge of aged gouda that I recently brought back from Amsterdam.  Wrapped that in bacon, too.  I'll cook on indirect heat for 30 mins or so..

My wife bought me a whole pork loin, nearly 8#.  I cut it in half and am doing 1/2 with just salt & pepper and the other 1/2 with my pork butt rub (had some left over).  I grabbed some poblano peppers to make a poblano cream sauce for the half that is just salt & pepper.  

The pork is on at 300F now with a bunch of apple chips.  Smells good!

• I do pulled pork, cream cheese with white cheddar mixed in. The one I really like is half a 31 - 40 ct shrimp with cream cheese mixed with pineapple tidbits and shredded gruyere.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Cream cheese, cheddar, scallions, bacon....stuffed inside the whole (top removed and deseeded/veins removed jalapeño. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • DaveM
    The verdict is in... The cream cheese/mango-peach salsa/chorizo was absolutely awesome!  Personally, I liked the 4-year Gouda from Amsterdam, but I was out voted.  They cooked for about 45 minutes.  Wow!  Yum!!!

Thanks for the tips.  

• Glad it turned out well for you!
  • Sounds delicious!

This probably doesn't quite match cream cheese/mango-peach salsa/chorizo but another ABT variation that has gotten quite a few positive votes around our table is to substitute pimento cheese for the cream cheese.  I use cocktail smokies for the sausage and Dickinson's Sweet 'n' Hot Pepper & Onion Relish to give it some nice zing...

• Skiddymarker
    What can I say, chorizo and jalapenos are made for each other, although, IMHO, anything with gouda is pretty good too!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Word of caution- I made about 100 of them for a party one time and didn't wear gloves and my fingers were burning for about a day. Never had a problem with small batches but guess doing that many put me over the edge I cut in half and do mixture of cream cheese and hot sausage- stuff mixture in the pepper and then add a little dizzy dust. Cover this with some cheddar cheese and then wrap in normal bacon ( don't use thick sliced). I prefer indirect but seems to take a little longer to get bacon crispy- 325 for minimum of an hour. Cook till bacon is very crispy.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Wolfpack - can't imagine making 100! Our normal cook involves maybe a dozen or so and sometimes my fingers tingle a bit, guess it depends on the peppers, freshness etc...
    We use Costco Kirkland hardwood smoked bacon, it is thin enough to cook in less than an hour and wraps easily. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'll second (third?) the advice about using thin bacon. And the mango peach salsa sounds awesome!

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I'm doing ABTs for the first time today.  I'm thinking about hot italian sausage, chorizo, cream & goats cheese... what else?  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • I make these several times per week. I cut the tops about 3/4 through to leave a "hinged" lid. I stuff them with cream cheese, seasonings and sausage or other type of items we think of. Last step is to wrap in bacon. I will be trying the peach mango salsa next.
  • I halve the Jalepeños, fill with chive/onion cream cheese, sprinkle of dizzy pig, sprinkle of shredded cheddar, then wrap in a half slice of bacon. I dont use toothpicks, as if you stretch the bacon a little it will adhere to itself. Raised, direct 350 for about 40 minutes or till the meat candy becomes crispy.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47