Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier Rack - Carbon Steel?

Charcoal_Addict
Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
How easy is it tto care for the CGW 2 Tier rack system? Does the rack maintain it's seasoning well? How susceptible is the CGW 2 to rusting?
2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring

Comments

• Go to page 2 or 3 and you'll find a 11k view thread.

I have had mine for a few weeks.  it's easy to care for.  I just oil it down before every cook.  Had a tad bit of rust when I had some serious condensation in the egg for a week.  It wiped right off with a oiled up paper towel and right back to cooking.  It is suppose to get better with more use,

Grate leaves wonderful sear marks on the meat and the extra space on the rack is nice.  It is easy to swing to the side so you can flip your food and if you don't need it you just take the upper grate and post out.

• thread is actually on page 6.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Carbon steel seasons just like cast iron for a non-stick surface.  As long as you keep oiling it down after use and don't take it past around 700 where the seasoning is reduced to ash, the more you use it the better.
  • Carbon steel seasons just like cast iron for a non-stick surface.  As long as you keep oiling it down after use and don't take it past around 700 where the seasoning is reduced to ash, the more you use it the better.

Thanks Guys. I had some concerns since some folks claim that Carbon steel can be harder to season than Cast iron but some things have to be taken with a grain of salt. I had a feeling the maintenance concerns would be the same as cast iron. Not leaving it out for a long period of time when its not in use. (Ex. Go on vacation for a couple of weeks, bring it inside) Would Flaxseed oil still be a good choice to season as is with cast iron or would you be better off to use other oils to season the Carbon Steel?
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • I just use olive oil because it's what I have out in my bottle when I'm cooking.  Vegatable oil would be a cheaper alteranative.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Any oil will work.  I just seasoned a carbon steel wok a week ago with canola oil.  Flaxseed is expensive, but it does a great job of seasoning.  I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's inevitable that you'll burn the seasoning off every now and then.  Just keep it well oiled and dry.
  • Carbon steel seasons just like cast iron for a non-stick surface.  As long as you keep oiling it down after use and don't take it past around 700 where the seasoning is reduced to ash, the more you use it the better.

Thanks Guys. I had some concerns since some folks claim that Carbon steel can be harder to season than Cast iron but some things have to be taken with a grain of salt. I had a feeling the maintenance concerns would be the same as cast iron. Not leaving it out for a long period of time when its not in use. (Ex. Go on vacation for a couple of weeks, bring it inside) Would Flaxseed oil still be a good choice to season as is with cast iron or would you be better off to use other oils to season the Carbon Steel?
  • it was between the CGW 2 and the adjustable rig.  The CGW seems a little more practice to work with vs the complex set-up's required with the adjustable rig.   I'm not sure how often three levels of cooking will be required.  

It's not to say a adjustable rig will not be considered, it seems the CGW 2 solve more problems for for hot cooks and searing where being able to move the top grate out of the way to access the food for turing or flipping. 

The adjustable rig seems to be more suitable baking and roasting set-up's.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Carbon steel rusts really bad if not cared for after every use. My carbon knives will rust in under 10 minutes if not wiped completely dry. My wok needs to be oiled or it also rusts. My adjustable rig will sit in my egg dirty with no maintenance required till I need it again.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    edited August 2012
    The rack system requires very maintenance unlike what Lit has posted regarding his knives.  As long as you leave it oiled you will be fine.  After I'm through cooking, I shut my cooker down and leave the rack as is, the grease from that cook will act as your rust inhibitor.  On my next use, I'll fire up the cooker, burn everything off, scrape it clean, spray oil and cook. No different than any other cooking grate, over time the rack will season. The only "maintenance" would be the post, every so often you should soak the post and collar in some type of degreaser so the "adjustable" feature continues to function, if this feature is not a concern then just leave it set at it's height and your done.

If there's a chance of extended nonuse, then I would only oil and leave it sit. We will be doing videos soon explaining this system further. More info and pics can be found on page 4 of this fourm "swing rack" Hope this helps.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • CGW1 said:
    The rack system requires very maintenance unlike what Lit has posted regarding his knives.  As long as you leave it oiled you will be fine.  After I'm through cooking, I shut my cooker down and leave the rack as is, the grease from that cook will act as your rust inhibitor.  On my next use, I'll fire up the cooker, burn everything off, scrape it clean, spray oil and cook. No different than any other cooking grate, over time the rack will season. The only "maintenance" would be the post, every so often you should soak the post and collar in some type of degreaser so the "adjustable" feature continues to function, if this feature is not a concern then just leave it set at it's height and your done.

If there's a chance of extended nonuse, then I would only oil and leave it sit. We will be doing videos soon explaining this system further. More info and pics can be found on page 4 of this fourm "swing rack" Hope this helps.

Thanks Franco. I think much of the confusion comes from all the different qualities of carbon steel out there. There's a lot of low qaulity inexpensive carbon steel out there that isn't very good at absorbing seasoning and is more susceptible to rust versus the higher quality carbon steel being used in the CGW 2. Many of us have a perception of carbon steel from the cheaper metal used for $20 -30 Woks that are much harder to maintain. I did a little research and it appears not all carbon steel is equal in quality.
  • Lit

CGW1 said:

Thanks Franco. I think much of the confusion comes from all the different qualities of carbon steel out there. There's a lot of low qaulity inexpensive carbon steel out there that isn't very good at absorbing seasoning and is more susceptible to rust versus the higher quality carbon steel being used in the CGW 2.

Many of us have a perception of carbon steel from the cheaper metal used for $20 -30 Woks that are much harder to maintain. I did a little research and it appears not all carbon steel is equal in quality.

Sorry but you seem very misinformed. The higher quality steel rusts faster than the cheaper stuff they use on woks. My $350 240mm Takeda Gyuto made from Agomi super steel will rust in a matter of minutes if left wet as will all high quality carbon knives. The only thing stopping the grate from rusting is the drippings/seasoning from previous cooks. If you clean the grate and don't oil it you will come back to a grate that is full of rust. Basically it seems like you have to treat the tier grate like the cast iron grate.
  • CGW1
    The info I'm passing on is based on my experience with the carbon steel we are using for our product, and also for the R & D performed with our 2 Tier system. All I can tell you is that rust is not an issue providing its oiled. I appreciate the feed back that's being provided and as more of these racks are sold we're asking users to keep us informed of any and all comments. Lit, your correct, you have to treat the grates as you would if they were cast iron.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited August 2012
    Charcoal Addict said:   The CGW seems a little more practice to work with vs the complex set-up's required with the adjustable rig.

With the large adjustable rig, it's as easy as setting a stainless steel, half grid atop the rig.  The grid size equals half your large bge grid.  

Depending on what your cooking the versatility of the rig gives you options to create desired set-ups.  As pictured above, add the half stone below the half grid or raise the lower grid up to create space from the lump.  Only thing I moved on this cook was the food.

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Lit said:
    CGW1 said:

Thanks Franco. I think much of the confusion comes from all the different qualities of carbon steel out there. There's a lot of low qaulity inexpensive carbon steel out there that isn't very good at absorbing seasoning and is more susceptible to rust versus the higher quality carbon steel being used in the CGW 2. Many of us have a perception of carbon steel from the cheaper metal used for $20 -30 Woks that are much harder to maintain. I did a little research and it appears not all carbon steel is equal in quality.
    Sorry but you seem very misinformed. The higher quality steel rusts faster than the cheaper stuff they use on woks. My $350 240mm Takeda Gyuto made from Agomi super steel will rust in a matter of minutes if left wet as will all high quality carbon knives. The only thing stopping the grate from rusting is the drippings/seasoning from previous cooks. If you clean the grate and don't oil it you will come back to a grate that is full of rust. Basically it seems like you have to treat the tier grate like the cast iron grate.

The higher qaulity should season more easily. It doesn't mean that it's more rust resistant. I find carbon steel easier to deal with rust vs cast iron. Oil and salt cleans off Carbon steel rust. I always have to sand down my Craycort CI to get rid of the rust which can be a brutal job. I actually would have rather avoided the complex Craycort grates since the crevices are a huge pain to deal with. Non modular cast iron is easier to clean. It's turf to compare knives and cooking grates. Knives are being used to cut and must maintain an edge making a knife a challenge to season. Grates that are constantly being oiled and cared for should be much easier to maintain. If the CGW 2 was hard to maintain, I think there would have been threads about those issues. None of the CGW 2 onwers are jumping up and down about rust issues. All the CGW 2 eggheads seem very pleased with their CGW 2 accessories so they must be easy to care for.
  • Chicken and sausages look great
  • CGW1
    Between Tom and myself, we're just offering toy's...I mean tools to make the outdoor cooking experience easy and fun. Do you need both....that's your call, but having the right tools does it make it easy. @ Tom hope your having a great season!! Your pics look great.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Been using the CGW swing rack for a year now.  Seasoned up great-no rust issues-oil before every cook (spray with canola) and that's it.  Do clean the bar stock about once every couple of months but that may be overkill. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • When I think of the adjustable rig it reminds me of oven racks. With a ton of pans and small pieces and ribs, ect...they can't be beat. The CGW 2 appears to be a better choice for working with large hot cooks. 6 large Costco Steaks use up 3/4 of a 24 inch cook surface. You need quick access from the sides and the front with tongs. Being able to swing the top grate out of the way makes this tasks phenomenally easier. I would have great to have a swing rack on my last veg cook. Trying to turn 30 pieces of veg with tongs around the side of grill expander was a nightmare to deal with. The adjustable rig baking smaller items/pans/smoking ribs and flatter items The CGW 2 for larger items/fast cooks/multiple pizza's (easy Accessibility is criticial for the cook) What your cooking will decide which one suits your needs.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    CGW1 said:
    Between Tom and myself, we're just offering toy's...I mean tools to make the outdoor cooking experience easy and fun. Do you need both....that's your call, but having the right tools does it make it easy. @ Tom hope your having a great season!! Your pics look great.
    I have both, use both frequently and wouldn't be without either.  They are apples and oranges with each being great for different things.  Start with either one and get good with it  Sooner or later you'll be leaving Christmas gift hints for the other.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    The swing rack is a breeze to maintain - just use it.  I sprayed with cooking spray a couple time when I first got it and it has never showed a bit of rust.  I still mantain its one of the best accessories for the egg.  I am considering an adjustable rig setup for my medium since there is no swing rack available for a medium (yet).  Hint hint...
  • CGW1
    @ joe@bge, medium and small versions of the 2 Tier has been put back on the front burner for serious consideration. Stay tuned!!
  • Lit
    I think my biggest issue with the swing grate is I haven't cooked anything direct on any of my eggs at the fire ring level since I found out about cooking raised. I cook everything I cook direct raised and anything not raised is on the spider to sear and then raised or indirect low and slow. To me the lower level of the swing rack is worthless unless you get the spider and pizza stone to go indirect and then you have less  space than the adjustable rig
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2012
    Lit, you lost me a little bit in your statement.  I suppose it depends on how you are raising the grate.  I am not sure why you cannot use the 2-tier rack in the raised position with the shorter shaft if needed?  You would have the benefit of a swing rack while still cooking at the raised position?  Do you have a 2-tier rack?  I ask because I just got one but have not tried cooking raised (or actually even used it) yet.  How do you raise your grate to the felt level?

Lit said:
    I think my biggest issue with the swing grate is I haven't cooked anything direct on any of my eggs at the fire ring level since I found out about cooking raised. I cook everything I cook direct raised and anything not raised is on the spider to sear and then raised or indirect low and slow. To me the lower level of the swing rack is worthless unless you get the spider and pizza stone to go indirect and then you have less  space than the adjustable rig

Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • I think you can put the CGW on top of a woo2 and move it to the felt line with the 5 1/2 accessory post if you want to grill indirect or grill with it at the felt line. I'm not sure about the stability of this set-up. Maybe a CGW 2 owner can chime in. I do most of my grilling at the fire ring since I don't want grease landing on the gaskets on a regular basis. Burgers, fish, and and veg are the only time I grill at the felt line.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    CGW1 said:
    @ joe@bge, medium and small versions of the 2 Tier has been put back on the front burner for serious consideration. Stay tuned!!
    Good deal. I'm getting a small soon Franco and need a 2-Tier for that sucker :))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • It looks like I may have to purchase a spider if I want to use the 2-tier indirect with the Big Joe.
  • Lit
    The big Joe is massive. They were cooking on 1 a couple weeks ago at the ace by me and it was impressive.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Lit said:
    The big Joe is massive. They were cooking on 1 a couple weeks ago at the ace by me and it was impressive.
    I thought the big joe has a 24 inch grate - same as xl bge.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    CGW1 said:
    That is good news!  Keep us posted if and when that happens.  I feel handicapped cooking on my medium without the two-tier swing grate.