Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best non-DP rub

Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know everyone loves DP products, but because there isn't a dealer nearby and I think their shipping costs are close to highway robbery, those aren't my preferred option. So, what are your favorite non-DP rubs and for what do you use them?

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Fred's Music & BBQ Tasty Licks runs.

I like the Burger Meister rub for burgers and chops. This is my go to for everyday cooking. The Robot rub is very good. I also like the red meat rub and the black bart's brisket rub.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Butt Rub, mostly pork.
  • John Henry's has a good line of rubs.  Home BBQ.com has good rubs. We love the Home BBQ.com Garlic Lover on steak.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • You should make your own. It's pretty easy and there's a lot of great recipes out there. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    You should make your own. It's pretty easy and there's a lot of great recipes out there. 
    +1
    I really like Butt Rub and DP Red Eye.  Gonna try a few out of a book my buddy lent me.  He made a pretty good rub out of it and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    My favorite is Texas BBQ...especially their Grand Champion rub.
    Fairview, Texas
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Oh, I use Texas BBQ Grand Champion on everything...ribs, brisket, chicken, chile, meat loaf...anything and everything!
    Fairview, Texas
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    simply marvelous, the whole line up is fantastic. So is anything by obie-que. I actually disagree with making your own rubs. By the time you buy all the different spices you need, you're in for a fair amount of money, 6-8 bucks for a shaker is well worth it in my opinion.
  • You should make your own. It's pretty easy and there's a lot of great recipes out there. 

Yes, I have been making my own, but I'm in a rut and looking for something new.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    After buying a couple, I make my own, too. I have a Penzy's near me where I get the spices, but you also could buy them in bulk at a discount club. On some meats, I don't like overwhelming rubs because I want the taste of the meat to come through and we also like a little sauce (a rip-off of Arthur Bryant's that I spent several weeks perfecting). I use a bit of chipolte and chili pepper along with the usual suspects, but i don't add cumin. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    A favorite of mine for chicken is Emerill's Chicken rub.  Makes great smoked wings on the egg - I even used it on a fried turkey!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Findlay Market in downtown Cincy has a spice shop that will allow you to bring in a recipe and they will make the rub right there for you.

http://www.findlaymarket.org/
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    John Henry's Greek rub is great. Other than DP, it's probably our favorite. We also like William Sonoma's Chili Lime rub.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669

I use Dr BBQ's big time rub recipe, you can use it as a starting point and expand from there.

Big Time BBQ Rub

- 1/2 cup salt
    - 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
    - 1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
    - 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    - 1 tablespoon granulated onion
    - 2 tablespoons paprika
    - 2 tablespoon chili powder
    - 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    - 2 teaspoons cayenne
    - 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
    - 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    - 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Edina, MN

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I mix Famous Dave's Rib Run with Stubbs Rub.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Commercial rubs are fun to try, they are usually very good and most importantly, consistent. For more than twenty years we have had a basic home made rub, not sure where it came from. Easy to modify as per your taste. If using on a pork loin, I use more garlic, if on a beef roast add some rosemary. It is all good.   

3 Tbs white sugar

2 Tbs brown sugar

2 Tbs Kosher salt

2 Tbs paprika (smoked or plain - both are good)

1 Tbs celery salt

1 Tbs cumin

1 Tbs garlic powder

1 Tbs ground pepper

1 Tbs onion powder

2 tsp chili powder (if extra hot, may want to cut the cayenne)

1 tsp cayenne pepper (if chili powder is mild, may want to increase cayenne)

1 tsp dried oregano

Mix everything in spice grinder, results in tan powder or leave it coarse if you want. Also good to flavor homemade BBQ sauces. Can be stored for up to 6 months. Good on chicken, pork or beef. 

Almost every kitchen has these dry ingredients, easy to make. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    After buying a couple, I make my own, too. I have a Penzy's near me where I get the spices, but you also could buy them in bulk at a discount club. On some meats, I don't like overwhelming rubs because I want the taste of the meat to come through and we also like a little sauce (a rip-off of Arthur Bryant's that I spent several weeks perfecting). I use a bit of chipolte and chili pepper along with the usual suspects, but i don't add cumin. 
    +1 Penzy's Chicago Steak spice, just a little really sets a steak off....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • What is "close by" to  you then (ie, where do you live?). 

As far as non-DP rubs, I've taken a liking to 2  other brands: 

1. Tom Douglas' Rub w/ Love - his Peri-Peri is my favorite, and my also likes his Spicy Tokyo rub
    2. John Henry - my last pulled pork was done using his Raspberry Chipotle rub & it was AWESOME!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • simply marvelous, the whole line up is fantastic. So is anything by obie-que. I actually disagree with making your own rubs. By the time you buy all the different spices you need, you're in for a fair amount of money, 6-8 bucks for a shaker is well worth it in my opinion.
    You'd be surprised at how many rub spice ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Read through some recipes and you might be only missing an ingredient or two. It'd be pretty hard to come close to the $65 I just spent at Dizzy Pig for 5 shakers. And it's not 6-8 bucks a shaker, it's $8 a shaker plus $2 shipping = about $10 a shaker. 

I like DP and I still purchase rubs from all over the place but it can be very rewarding to make your own, in taste, cost, and culinary fun. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We cook all the time and have a huge selection of spices.  I like making rubs because it helps speed up rotating our spices with fresh ones.  Dried spices have a shelf life, and they're one of the most abused foods in the kitchen in exceeding that shelf life.

We do the same thing with vegetables when we make broths.  Take that rotisserie chicken carcass, throw it in a big pot with water and go through your vegetable drawers, dump anything in that looks like it needs to be replaced soon (and would taste good in the broth).  Cook on low heat for a couple of hours, filter the broth, pour in freezer bags, and throw away your bullion cubes.
    A favorite of mine for chicken is Emerill's Chicken rub.  Makes great smoked wings on the egg - I even used it on a fried turkey!
    Oooh, you just gave me a great idea. The next time I make chicken, I'm going to use Emiril's Essence as a rub. It tastes kind of strange, but it is strangely delicious.

My son and I made up a rub for a pork shoulder the other day. It was very simple - 1/2 c Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, 1/3 c brown sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard. It was just about perfect.

Tim
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Oooh, you just gave me a great idea. The next time I make chicken, I'm going to use Emiril's Essence as a rub. It tastes kind of strange, but it is strangely delicious.

My son and I made up a rub for a pork shoulder the other day. It was very simple - 1/2 c Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, 1/3 c brown sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard. It was just about perfect.

Tim

We use the recipe for Essense and make a huge batch and use on chicken and ribs, turns out great.
    Edina, MN

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    edited August 2012
    can't believe nobody mentioned Cluck and Squeal, I'm really saving that stuff for special occasions :) 

• it's $8 a shaker plus $2 shipping = about $10 a shaker. 

Where'd you find $2 shipping? I was getting a quote of like $9 from their website.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    McCormack Montreal on beef, Traeger Sweet on poultry and pork, for rubs.

Marinades; Dichickos, teriyaki.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• John Henry's-mix 1/2 Tammy's Herbal and 1/2 Sugar maple-awesome on chicken and pork!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This is half cheating...but I bought I big shaker of Emeril's essence at Costco or BJ's, and then I combined it with some brown sugar, turbinado sugar, and dry mustard (stuff I already had).  I thought it was pretty darn good...and for around $10 total it makes enough to rub 20-30 butts generously :).  

I also tried the Bone Suckin' rub (and sauce) that I found at Cracker Barrel and it was pretty good for ribs and chicken.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    As stated multiple times above, Texasbbqrub Grand Championship is hard to beat.  Got the heat and sweetness thing going for it.
  • One of my fav's is Big Rons ( bigronswebsite.com). The Hint of Houston is great on ribs, just enough heat. On poultry I like Rooster Booster (usbbqsupply.com), little to spicy for the wife so I go extra light on her pieces. So many good rubs are available anymore I very seldom make my own.. 

XL BGE Nested

Several Weber's

Chargriller TRIO

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I really like Billy Bones products.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL