Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bigguy's Second Brisket Packer

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

After what I learned on the first brisket, I thought I would try a few changes. I started with a 14 lb USDA choice packer ($3.17/ lb)

A quick trim

I removed the point from the flat before cooking. I want to be able to pull each when they are ready and not wait for the other half.

I did a double pan for the drippings. I filled the first pan with water and floated the second pan. Hoping to keep the temp lower on the drippings.

On goes the brisket

About 14 hours later and at 200°

Getting the burnt ends going. It was nice to pull the point without disturbing the flat.

I was 250° until I went thru the stall then I went to 300°. Brisket is resting now.

Now for my question. I have the drippings and they look good. Should I pour them back over the brisket? Mix with something? Throw them away?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Great looking cook-here's a wimp answer about the drippings-since you know yor rub etc, I would pour over some of the brisket (saving the rest) and give it the taste test.  After that you know which way to go-I'm sure it will be a great compliment to the meat. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigguy136

Thanks! It never occured to me (lack of sleep) to try that. Do I want to skip the drippings any? Add any thickener?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• it's good mixed into sauce as well but you have to treat the sauce like you would any cooked meat after that. When I do that, I just make very small batches and throw out the rest of the drippings Looks like a great cook BG
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigguy136

Here are the finished photos. Very tender and juicy. I kept some of the dripping in a jar but so far it's good.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    congrats-nicely done-enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    It all looks good, but those Burnt Ends look off the charts good.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Good looking cook bigguy!!  One day, i'm going to get around to making burnt ends.  I LOVE the point as is, so I haven't bothered trying to do em.  

I'll have to get er done soon and forfeit over 1/2 the point to the task.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigguy136

Thanks. The burnt ends are caramely, chewy bite of wonderful. I like them cold the next day for lunch. During lunch, everyone at my work looks at me and hopes that there are extras and that they get asked if they want any.

Being here in the fridgid north, we make a lot of chilli. I could see using some left over brisket for a pot of chili.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Awesome cook, burnt ends and all. Thanks for sharing.
    Seattle, WA
  • Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    Great looking meal. So was that direct or indirect at 200?
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Really great looking cook @bigguy136, congrats.

Any downside to separating the point and flat pre-cook? It seems like a good idea, but I've never seen anyone do it before. Does keeping them together help keep the flat more juicy?

This one goes in the book marks for sure!

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Great cook and the photos smell really good too!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    great looking brisket, like the burnt ends. 

On the drippings, I don't use them, to fatty and greasy.  I know some folks will use dripping in their bbq sauces.   

I'd keep the point and flat connected during the cook.  It's just a quick swipe of a long knife to separate when needed.  

t   
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bigguy136
    Thanks all. Now if it would warm 40 degrees, it would be above freezing and I could get back to some eggin.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    tjv said:

I'd keep the point and flat connected during the cook.  It's just a quick swipe of a long knife to separate when needed.  

t   
    I agree. It worked like I wanted but the point is so easy to cut free as you're grilling.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I took left over brisket, ground it well in the fp then made hoagies with sauteed mushrooms and onions. Topped with provolone and toasted. One of the best sandwiches I've had. Next time I'll add red and banana peppers.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN