Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New here........ Original 1980s Egg Going Strong

lecramslecrams Posts: 109
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, long time reader first time poster. I inherited an egg from my grandfather 8 years ago. I started cooking on the egg with my grandaddy when I was a young man. I look forward to being a part of the group here. On tap this weekend, smoked pork loin tomorrow, and a pizza on Sunday. And of course, plenty of Sweetwater 420 and Dale's Pale Ale.

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,528
    Wow...I'd love to see a pic. This also shows what type of longevity we an get from our eggs.

A 20+ year old weber would probably be unidentifiable at this point.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,528
    edited August 2012
    hapster said:

Not sure why the multiple posts... Sorry

You like to rush into things do you? =))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lecramslecrams Posts: 109
    Ha! I'm an engineer so nothing happens without much thought.
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    @lecrams: i also would love to see a pic. I hope i get to hand mine down

@hapster: did you spathcock the crow? Direct or indirect?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,273
    Better late than never!

Welcome. When you can post some pics and cooks, you are among the few seasoned veterans.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,347
    I already like because of the Dales Pale Ale mention.  They are probably my favorite Colorado Brewery right now, but Fort Collins Brewery is giving them a run for my money.  Welcome to the board.
  • I liked Flat Tire when I was out there last summer.

Shangri la where life is beautiful and everybody's happy.

• ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    too cool.  My daughter is 8, and she has already asked for me to get her a small egg so we can cook together.  gotta do it!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

Here's the requested photo.image
  • A BGE or an original kamado?
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Welcome aboard! Nice piece of history there! Is it earthenware or ceramic?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • Wow!  Impressive!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
    Original BGE, it is terra cotta. I love it, but may upgrade to a large BGE soon. If you look in the bottom right corner, there's a crack forming.
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,875
    Thats is awesome, to have a grill for the many years, handed down too. Twenty years from now, maybe my kids will be using mine, I'll sit back and leave the grilling to them..
    Welcome to the forum, please don't be afraid to share some of the old recipes from your grandfather too.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Great pic & family story on the BGE. Welcome aboard?
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,200

Your grandfather was a wise man. Cool story and photo.

• misumisu Posts: 213
    very cool.

One of these days when the wife is not looking I'll pick an old one like that to add to the collection

• joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394

• That's great! First saw an egg in Atlanta in the 80s and finally got mine in May.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes